Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Compact Handgun 9MM or .40

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Noah3683
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 2256

    Compact Handgun 9MM or .40

    The hardware: S&W M&P compact. .40 or 9mm?
    70
    9MM
    0%
    49
    .40S&W
    0%
    21

    The poll is expired.

    Originally posted by Neil McCauley
    Are you actually suppost to "taste" wood?
    Originally posted by Neil McCauley
    Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.
  • #2
    l8apex
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 663

    MPc 9.
    It's the Indian, not the Arrow

    Comment

    • #3
      BamBam-31
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Dec 2005
      • 5318

      9mm. Cheaper and easier to shoot.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        Lead-Thrower
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 780

        9mm for price, and less recoil. .40 in a compact handgun is a wrist-breaker.

        Comment

        • #5
          golfrj
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2007
          • 1623

          Depends on whether you reload or not, 40S&W is much more versatile if you do.. 9mm is much cheaper if you don't.. I reload so 40S&W gets my vote as you can load them soft or Heavy...

          Comment

          • #6
            JosephP
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2008
            • 1359

            If it is compact small gun, you need something you can control.
            .40 is good and powerful than 9mm but more recoil.
            It doesn't matter if you can't hit the right spot.
            If I were you I will stick with 9mm and practice with it alot.

            NRA Certified Instructor
            Member of LASC

            Comment

            • #7
              flatovercrest
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2008
              • 740

              Originally posted by JosephP
              If it is compact small gun, you need something you can control.
              .40 is good and powerful than 9mm but more recoil.
              It doesn't matter if you can't hit the right spot.
              If I were you I will stick with 9mm and practice with it alot.
              +1.

              Comment

              • #8
                sholling
                I need a LIFE!!
                CGN Contributor
                • Sep 2007
                • 10360

                I own a M&P9c and a M&P40c and I say whichever you prefer. I think for most people the 9 is fine if you buy premium self defense ammo. As for recoil the difference is noticeable but shouldn't be a problem for most people shooting a compact M&P. Now if we were talking Kahr PM9 vs PM40 I'd say by the 9 because my PM40 is just brutal.
                "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                Comment

                • #9
                  advocatusdiaboli
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 5521

                  My favorite pistol caliber is .40 (best modern balance of power, control-ability, and cost) but not for a sub-compact. I'd go with 9mm for control and getting follow-up shots. My P229R is classified as a compact and it's in .40 and I don't have a problem at all. But it's alloy framed not poly. That .40 does no good if you miss. Accuracy matters more than punch--a smaller punch that hits is better than a bigger punch that misses.
                  Benefactor Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran, Black Ribbon in Memoriam for the deceased 2nd Amendment
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Noah3683
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2256

                    Originally posted by sholling
                    I own a M&P9c and a M&P40c and I say whichever you prefer. I think for most people the 9 is fine if you buy premium self defense ammo. As for recoil the difference is noticeable but shouldn't be a problem for most people shooting a compact M&P. Now if we were talking Kahr PM9 vs PM40 I'd say by the 9 because my PM40 is just brutal.
                    The kind of insight I was looking for. I got to shoot the m&p9c yesterday, and I would venture to say it was a tad softer than my XD9 service model. the m&p40 we have is just a tad sharper than the xd9. anyone have a comparison to the m&p40 and the m&p40c?
                    Originally posted by Neil McCauley
                    Are you actually suppost to "taste" wood?
                    Originally posted by Neil McCauley
                    Just wish I knew what wood in your meat is suppost to taste like.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      forgiven
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2008
                      • 5214

                      Thought I would never say go with a smaller caliber but with the advances in defense ammo I just don't see that much of a difference.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        citystar
                        Junior Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • 57

                        Some of you anti .40 dudes act like shooting a .40 has the recoil of a deagle or something.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          advocatusdiaboli
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 5521

                          anyone have a comparison to the m&p40 and the m&p40c?
                          I buy quality firearms for my pistols: Sig, H&K, Glock, Beretta in Semi-sutos. So I cannot comment on the cheap stuff. And I think .40 S&W is the best for most applications. Someone has tried the other stuff--they have a market for it. I'll bow out at this point since it's clear price is your prime criterion not value and quality.
                          Benefactor Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran, Black Ribbon in Memoriam for the deceased 2nd Amendment
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            gorenut
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 3072

                            Originally posted by citystar
                            Some of you anti .40 dudes act like shooting a .40 has the recoil of a deagle or something.
                            I definitely think some people overstate the recoil of a .40, but I'd still have to agree for a poly compact, I'd go with 9. Cheaper, more rounds (sometimes, CA law makes it less of a point), still easier to control.

                            Now if you were gonna go with a "compact" and went with a P229, without a doubt go with .40. Its not that much more expensive and its plentiful. Recoil feels like a 9.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              advocatusdiaboli
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 5521

                              Originally posted by gorenut
                              I definitely think some people overstate the recoil of a .40, but I'd still have to agree for a poly compact, I'd go with 9. Cheaper, more rounds (sometimes, CA law makes it less of a point), still easier to control.

                              Now if you were gonna go with a "compact" and went with a P229, without a doubt go with .40. Its not that much more expensive and its plentiful. Recoil feels like a 9.

                              ^^^ This.

                              My P229 shoots like my full-size H&K USP 40 used too. The heft of alloy helps a lot.
                              Benefactor Life Member NRA, Life Member CRPA, CGN Contributor, US Army Veteran, Black Ribbon in Memoriam for the deceased 2nd Amendment
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1