Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

moderate round with low recoil

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    himurax13
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 3895

    If you would like to really control recoil, you should get into reloading. Lead 147g 9mm rounds have a lot less felt recoil than factory 115 g 9mm FMJ's. I have also found that 200g Lead SWC for the .45 loaded to around 800 fps have a lot less rfelt ecoil than 230 g FMJ factory rounds.
    Originally posted by Bumslie
    HK - the best 600 dollar gun, 900 dollars can buy.
    Originally posted by Sleighter
    Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

    Lifetime NRA member.

    Comment

    • #32
      Lead-Thrower
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 780

      .500 S&W

      Comment

      • #33
        CALATRAVA
        Member
        • Jun 2007
        • 289

        A cz p01 is a very good 9mm pistol.

        (Any cz for that matter)

        For me it felt like it was made for my hand. My wife felt the same, even though her hands are quite a bit smaller than mine.
        Very slim grips, especially the p-01, with judicious use of frame contouring to nestle your hand into a solid grip position.

        Like someone else may have mentioned, i always felt very well-armed with my cz. Probably due to the ergonomics, reliability, as well as the fact that it could be used as a mallet when a ran out of ammo. LoL
        Last edited by CALATRAVA; 07-08-2010, 1:00 PM.

        Comment

        • #34
          Sam
          Calguns Addict
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2008
          • 5205

          Originally posted by dinnerplate
          that really puts things into perspective. i hadn't even tried the 9mm or .45 USP. i always assumed that i would be getting a 1911 when i got a .45. but looking at ammo prices, i think i have to stay away from .45 for now. i simply won't shoot it very much if it costs 50 cents a round.

          now the 9mm, i can shoot a lot easier. this opens up other doors though, like which one to get/try. i've tried several, and the beretta seemed ok. i'm telling you though, the USP just felt much more right. i'm thinking of trying the USP 9mm, and if i like it like i think i will, i'll get it. but should i be trying others too? i suppose "which 9mm to get" is a whole other discussion, but right now it would really come down to either the 9mm USP or the beretta. i've read the P30 and browning hi-power are good too, but i don't want to have to try each and every 9mm on the planet before i get it too.

          glocks i haven't liked very much. i know it's a hot topic, but it has much more to do with comfort in my hand. it's never felt exactly right.
          I'd advise that you test as many guns as you can. Something may pop up that you love more. Buy once, cry once.

          Comment

          • #35
            wrightb
            Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 289

            I bought a glock 22 on a whim, my first handgun when I turned 21, and I've been shooting 9mm out of it with a conversion barrel ever since. I throw some 40's down it every couple trips to the range, but I really enjoy the 9mm better. I had never shot a 45 before, but I went with a friend who had a Springfield XD in 45. The recoil was much more manageable than my 40, and my groups were tighter as well. I had been nervous about shooting 45 for the first time, but the 40 is worse.

            Whats your price range? Go to a gun store where they will line up one of each for you on the counter, let you pick them up and compare them side by side.
            Blessed are the peacemakers

            Comment

            • #36
              BigDogatPlay
              Calguns Addict
              • Jun 2007
              • 7362

              Originally posted by Army
              .357 revolver, shoot .38's. You will always have the option of full power, or pleasant power.
              +1.... old school maybe old but it still shoots holes large enough and fast enough for most any problem to roll through.

              I was a 9mm and .45 shooter for a long, long time and went to .40 largely as a matter of policy since all the other LEA in the agency were going with it. My .40 of choice became a Sig P226.

              Yes the .40 has a bit more snap to it, but it's running at higher pressures, generally speaking, than most 9 and .45 ammo outside of +P or +P+, but delivers better terminal ballistics, at least on paper. You get a comparable or better load out of ammo versus a .45 for similar performance. With a bit of practice fast follow ups are not a problem in a full sized gun. Sub-compacts is another story but even 9mm can have plenty of back in a sub-compact.

              .40 may or may not be a solution to a non-existant problem, but for what it is, I have found it does the job nicely.
              -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

              Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

              Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

              Comment

              • #37
                Andy Taylor
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2007
                • 1367

                Originally posted by resident-shooter
                So you want moderate recoil and u want it to be at least 45 acp..... That is sort of contradictory. Either you have to come down to .32 auto or you need a massive azz pistol to absorb the recoil of a larger round.


                I personally would stay away from both .45 and .40 due to low magazine capacity and in case of .45 the cost of ammo since I shoot at the range at least once a month. 9mm is my choice for my next pitol. You get sufficient killing power with HP rounds, decent capacity (17 vs 12 in same size Glawcks), and relatively cheap FMJ rounds that you can rock at the range/in the forest.
                What are you talking about? Capacity is a moot point. In CA he is limited to 10 round mags, regardless. BTW, The 9mm Glock that holds 17+1 with normal mags, holds 15+1, not 12+1 in the .40 version. Heck the .45 holds 13+1 albeit with a larger frame.

                To the OP, IMHO .45 kicks less than .40, and fires a larger bullet. 9mm kicks the least of the three and is less expensive to shoot. It also has enough stopping power when well designed, modern hollow point ammo is used.
                I own several guns in each .45 and 9mm. I own none in .40, nor do I plan to. I would also never second guess anyone for choosing the .40. It is certainly a decent weapon.

                Comment

                • #38
                  M47_Dragon
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2008
                  • 1263

                  The best .40 I've ever shot in terms of recoil (and everything else!) is the Sig P226.

                  Very smooth shooter.
                  Originally posted by bigbob76
                  I'm in the process of de-humping all my Glocks.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Legasat
                    Intergalactic Member
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 4151

                    While we all here have our own opinions, the only one that really matters is YOURS.

                    When I bought my first 9mm a couple of years ago, I rented about 20 guns over 2 months, and recorded my impression of them. I narrowed it down to the best 3, went and shot them again, and picked the best one for me. That is what I bought.

                    You should go rent a few and shoot them. Sounds like the USP made a very good impression on you, so use that as your standard to compare a few others to. The USP is a fine weapon, as are many others.

                    I agree that .40 is a lot more snappy than either 9mm or .45. Sounds like 9mm would work out well for you.

                    Only YOU can choose what feels right to you.

                    Best of luck!!!
                    Last edited by Legasat; 07-08-2010, 2:11 PM.
                    ..

                    .........STGC(SW)


                    SAF Life Member

                    sigpic
                    NRA Benefactor

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      missiondude
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2008
                      • 1646

                      Originally posted by Legasat
                      While we all here have our own opinions, the only one that really matters is YOURS.

                      When I bought my first 9mm a couple of years ago, I rented about 20 guns over 2 months, and recorded my impression of them. I narrowed it down to the best 3, went and shot them again, and picked the best one for me. That is what I bought.

                      You should go rent a few and shoot them. Sounds like the USP made a very good impression on you, so use that as your standard to compare a few others to. The USP is a fine weapon, as are many others.

                      I agree that .40 is a lot more snappy than either 9mm or .45. Sounds like 9mm would work out well for you.

                      Only YOU can choose what feels right to you.

                      Best of luck!!!
                      If everyone picked guns this way, there would be many fewer used guns for sale. Good advice for anyone is to try all the candidates and pick what is best for you...
                      sigpicThe right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The original common sense gun law...

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Dhena81
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2010
                        • 4587

                        +100 ON 9mm or .45ACP

                        For a beginner I would just get a 9mm and practice more though.

                        Don't just buy the USP because it looks cool not saying you are, that's what my little brother did try out some Glocks and Sigs. After shooting my Glock 21,19 and Sig 220, 226 9mm my brother wants to get a Glock he shot it better than his USP45C. I'm not really bashing HK even though they hate all of us I just don't like the trigger on any HK pistols I've shot.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          teflondog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 4011

                          I was never a big fan of .40 s&w until I rented a Sig P229. For being a smaller gun, it handles recoil amazingly well. When I bring beginners with me to the shooting range, they can't tell the difference between my Sig P229 and USP 9mm in terms of felt recoil. While my favorite round is still .45 acp, I now understand why there are many fans of the .40 s&w round.
                          Originally posted by G. Michael Hopf
                          Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Ricky-Ray
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 3161

                            First pistol I bought was a Beretta 92FS. Loved the way it handles and handling the recoil on it was great.

                            Second pistol I got was a SA 1911. Loved it also, just like my 92FS

                            Third pistol I got was a SA XD40. Loved the way it felt but when I took it to the range wasn't too happy with the amount of recoil I was feeling. Maybe because it's 40 cal or maybe because it's my first polymer gun and I'm use to shooting full metal framed pistols. For now it's sitting in the safe waiting till my brother in law turn's 21 next year cuz he want's it so I will sign it over to him and I will be looking at a Sig 226 or 228 to replace it.

                            I shot my friends P226 in 40 and didn't like the recoil on that too so I think in the future I'm going to stick with 9mm and 45acp and skip the 40 cal entirely.
                            Ray

                            "If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              novabrian
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 2520

                              .40 have too much muzzle flip!

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                citystar
                                Junior Member
                                • Jul 2010
                                • 57

                                My glock23c seems to shoot fine. I don't notice any of your complaints about .40....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1