Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock experts... I need help.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hill billy
    replied
    Originally posted by vintagearms
    have the BG hear the racking would most likely de-escalate the problem which is perferable to an armed confrontation.
    tommy_lee_jones.jpg



    This is one of the worst fallacies promoted on gun boards.

    Leave a comment:


  • locosway
    replied
    This is normal for a lot of handguns and even some rifles. They're meant to function while being fired, which is a lot different than gently letting the slide close.

    I keep my Glock with the mag loaded and inserted, but no round in the chamber. This gun is always accessible as the HD gun. When inspecting noises I've racked it quietly, the key is to make sure the slide goes all the way forward. If you can pull the slide back, you can just as easily push it forward. However, I'd say to just rack it hard to make sure everything closes properly.

    As for the lube, Glocks like to be dry for several reasons. Go easy on the lube, it only needs a very thin film on a couple parts. If you oil it like a 1911 you'll run into issues.

    Leave a comment:


  • JTsanchez
    replied
    Originally posted by bigbob76
    87% of all statistics are made up on the spot!
    I thought it was 75%, i must have been mistaken.

    Leave a comment:


  • bigbob76
    replied
    Originally posted by dieselpower
    Think it through please. I know I beat this horse to death, but please think about what you are saying. Place yourself into the situation in real life and do not assume unknown factors, or unreal factors.

    What would have to be happening [in your home] for you to NEED to silently charge a firearm?

    The only reason you need to be silent is because you want to ambush your threat.
    1) You are ASSUMING you have the element of surprise.
    2) You are placing yourself into a 1:1000 chance situation and discounting known good facts to further your cause (ignoring all the great stuff with a Glock while selecting one little fact with a Sig.)

    In reality if someone is in your home the best defense is forcing them to deal with the fact YOU are there, and you KNOW they are too. For a single person a 200db fog horn, followed by screaming, "Get the **** out of my house, I have a gun and I am calling the police." is the best defense. The threat is now in "flight or Fight" mode. They must come to you. They have no chance of surprising you and you are waiting for them. If they hang around they are arrested. The only person coming after you is one who means to harm you...fire at will my friend.

    For a person wanting to protect several rooms [family members], time is of the essence. Silent means slowly, fast means rushing. You want clear concise motions which complete goals. Silently charging your firearm requires diverting attention to it and not your surroundings. The seconds it takes to silently pull the slide, then silently push it forward could be the time the threat moves from one room to another. Your primary concern is to get between the threat and the others, not surprising them. The last thing you want is family between you, or family on the other side of the target. So the few seconds it takes to silently charge the weapon are better served moving toward the neutral point. This is the point where you draw a line in the sand...no one can pass.

    99% of the time the homeowner is better served by announcing their presents in the home. I can think of where hiding from a threat, but silently arming yourself is needed, but that is an extremely small chance case.

    In 100% of the cases, where a homeowner has shot at a non-threat (family member, friend) the homeowner used stealth to ambush the supposed intruder.
    87% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

    Leave a comment:


  • dieselpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Zubba
    I'm not worried about the gun taking the "full force" so to say, I'm more concerned about the slide because this is to be my go to home defense weapon. I don't care to keep the gun with a round chambered (I never will) what I have done is keep the magazine loaded and deposited so that if I need to get to the pistol I simply have to snatch it and rack it to get going.... with the HK's I've never had a problem slowly and quietly racking the slide back and gently letting it go forward so it doesn't make a huge CLACK (letting whoever is in the house know where I am and what I just did), I'm a little distressed that it appears that glocks won't allow for this. I just want to know if it's normal, or if I should have the gun checked out.
    Think it through please. I know I beat this horse to death, but please think about what you are saying. Place yourself into the situation in real life and do not assume unknown factors, or unreal factors.

    What would have to be happening [in your home] for you to NEED to silently charge a firearm?

    The only reason you need to be silent is because you want to ambush your threat.
    1) You are ASSUMING you have the element of surprise.
    2) You are placing yourself into a 1:1000 chance situation and discounting known good facts to further your cause (ignoring all the great stuff with a Glock while selecting one little fact with a Sig.)

    In reality if someone is in your home the best defense is forcing them to deal with the fact YOU are there, and you KNOW they are too. For a single person a 200db fog horn, followed by screaming, "Get the **** out of my house, I have a gun and I am calling the police." is the best defense. The threat is now in "flight or Fight" mode. They must come to you. They have no chance of surprising you and you are waiting for them. If they hang around they are arrested. The only person coming after you is one who means to harm you...fire at will my friend.

    For a person wanting to protect several rooms [family members], time is of the essence. Silent means slowly, fast means rushing. You want clear concise motions which complete goals. Silently charging your firearm requires diverting attention to it and not your surroundings. The seconds it takes to silently pull the slide, then silently push it forward could be the time the threat moves from one room to another. Your primary concern is to get between the threat and the others, not surprising them. The last thing you want is family between you, or family on the other side of the target. So the few seconds it takes to silently charge the weapon are better served moving toward the neutral point. This is the point where you draw a line in the sand...no one can pass.

    99% of the time the homeowner is better served by announcing their presents in the home. I can think of where hiding from a threat, but silently arming yourself is needed, but that is an extremely small chance case.

    In 100% of the cases, where a homeowner has shot at a non-threat (family member, friend) the homeowner used stealth to ambush the supposed intruder.

    Leave a comment:


  • vintagearms
    replied
    Originally posted by Gryff
    I have to disagree. When you pick up a firearm in a self-defense situation, your intention should be to use it when the threat is identifiable. Now if the dirtbag gives you the chance to not shoot him by running away, great. But considering a gun primarily an intimidation tool instantly puts you in the wrong mindset. Get a dog or a baseball bat for that.
    Gryff, Im speaking from personal experience. Yes, the intention is to use it if need be but in the OP's story, have the BG hear the racking would most likely de-escalate the problem which is perferable to an armed confrontation.

    Leave a comment:


  • nn3453
    replied
    As others have pointed out, don't ride the slide.

    Also, shoot your gun more until it's broken in. With my Glocks, unless I really really ride the slide, the slide will go in battery even if I slowly rack the slide. But, yes, riding the slide is never recommended. If you absolutely must ride the slide, a firm whack with the heel of your hand against the back of the slide will put it in battery but I don't recommend this for normal use. Get used to your Glock first. Shoot it and let the slide snap forward. Absolutely do not stick things into your trigger guard to make it "safer." If you must have a manual safety, get a gun with a manual safety, don't try to turn your Glock into one. It is designed to be safe the way it was designed...with a round down the pipe. As someone said, stick it in a holster if it makes you nervous. Also practice manipulating the gun and controls a lot with the gun unloaded and make sure you NEVER pick it up with your finger inside the trigger guard.
    Last edited by nn3453; 06-06-2010, 10:48 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gryff
    replied
    Originally posted by vintagearms
    From a self defence standpoint, the object isn't to kill your intruder but to scare him/her away so you DON'T have a violent confrontation. Trust me....its a lot of time and money involved. Having the intruder hearing you rack the slide and running away would be preferable.
    I have to disagree. When you pick up a firearm in a self-defense situation, your intention should be to use it when the threat is identifiable. Now if the dirtbag gives you the chance to not shoot him by running away, great. But considering a gun primarily an intimidation tool instantly puts you in the wrong mindset. Get a dog or a baseball bat for that.

    Leave a comment:


  • SixtyDashOne
    replied
    Riding the slide is generally not good form, you're just asking for some kind of malfunction. You really ought to keep a round chambered but if you insist on not keeping one in the chamber, I would rather the bad guy hear me racking the slide than to have a misfeed and then have to waste even more time clearing it when precious seconds can make the difference between life and death. Riding the slide is something they do in movies and on tv all the time but proper form is to let the slide slam.

    Leave a comment:


  • themailman
    replied
    Thats called riding the slide, its not at all a good practice.

    Leave a comment:


  • vintagearms
    replied
    Brass/metal shavings are normal and will go away the more you use it. Dont ride the slide. Manual ejecting of rounds isn't at all going to be the same as actual discharge of the gun, so no worries, even if your HK could do it.
    From a self defence standpoint, the object isn't to kill your intruder but to scare him/her away so you DON'T have a violent confrontation. Trust me....its a lot of time and money involved. Having the intruder hearing you rack the slide and running away would be preferable.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gryff
    replied
    Riding the slide is a sure way to cause the gun to gun to fail to go into battery. As you can tell, most of us say "Don't do it."

    As for shavings, if you are talking about the gold flecks that you see in the lubricant, and I'm venturing a guess that these are actually part of the lubricant that Glock applies at the factory. I've seen these on every brand new Glock I've ever handled.

    Leave a comment:


  • punisheryayarea
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptHobbes
    To avoid noise, you can keep it chambered in a holster that covers the trigger.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ultimate
    replied
    You are not supposed to ride the slide like everyone else mentioned already on anything, glocks, aks, ar's unless maybe if u are trying to lock it open for that 3mm movement.

    That said my Glock 23 will allow you to slowly release the slide and it picks up the round just fine.

    Glocks are tough on brass that's just the way they are. Sounds like you are getting double feeds because you already have a round in the chamber and u are pulling the slide back way too slow. Most guns would have a problem with that because they rely on the slide rushing backwards extracting the case and slamming it against a small bar that pushes the case at an angle to the side.

    If you pull the slide back to slowly there wont be enough kinetic energy.

    Leave a comment:


  • evidens83
    replied
    Dont ride the slide!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1