Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Fun time sending handgun through Fedex

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mjpjr
    Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 148

    Fun time sending handgun through Fedex

    I searched this site and found info on how to ship my handgun. Have to send it back to manufacture for some minor adjustments. Called Fedex customer support to find the nearest place I could ship it. They told me nearest place was in the Marriot hotel by the Anaheim Convention center. So I head down there. When I get inside I put my gun case on the counter and tell the shipping clerk I need to ship it overnight. The fedex guy says "sure, what are we shipping?" I tell him a handgun. His jaw drops and his eyes bug out. "Did you just say a handgun" he ask me as he steps back and stares at my case like its a rattlesnack ready to strike. I tell him I called Fedex customer service and they said it was fine and told me to go there to ship it. He doesnt look to convinced, but then two Fedex drivers walk in. He ask them if its ok to ship a handgun. First guy jokes and says "hell no, someone call the cops!" Second driver chimes and says its ok only if its from an ffl to an ffl. I explain thats USPS policy, not Fedex policy. Luckily the other driver stops joking and says I am correct, as long as one party is an ffl and I ship overnight everything is alright. The clerk looks at me, then back at my guncase and ask "its not loaded is it?" All three of them stare at me waiting for me to stop laughing and tell them its not loaded and there is no ammo what so ever in the case. I guess because they are inside the Marriot hotel, they dont get a lot of customers shipping handguns. So if you have to ship a handgun, it might be best to call the actual shipping center to be sure they know their own companies policies. Such fun
  • #2
    ccr
    Vendor/Retailer
    • Dec 2007
    • 415

    FedEx policy is that handguns must be shipped via air from the main FedEx hub not one of the shipping stores

    Yes you are correct that handguns can only be shipped via USPS from FFL to FFL
    Cummings Custom Refinishing Quality Craftsmanship at Affordable Prices 423-639-8924 EST
    Makers of CERA-HIDE and CERA-PLATE
    Check out our Spring Saving Sale
    service@ccrrefinishing.com
    www.ccrrefinishing.com

    Comment

    • #3
      huck
      Senior Member
      CGN Contributor
      • Mar 2008
      • 972

      Sounds like the guy behind the counter needs to grow a pair.
      Shop at Amazon.com and support Calguns Foundation with every purchase

      Comment

      • #4
        cmace22
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 2717

        I went to the main hub and had zero issues. I was more nervous then the guy working. In and out in 2 minutes!

        Comment

        • #5
          NiteQwill
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2007
          • 6368

          FedEx has a major hub right off of Kraemer and Orangethorpe. I shipped multiple times out of that location with no issues.

          The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.

          Comment

          • #6
            dfletcher
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Dec 2006
            • 14810

            There's a FedEx "hub" right across the street from me in SF (it's also about 100 yds from our beloved Sen Feinstein's office) right on Market St. For those down south & not familiar with SF, walking across Market St with a packaged rifle is kind of like walking across downtown Wilshire Blvd in LA. I've mailed out a few and never had a problem. One time I sent a T/C Encore frame, they tried to tell me "pistols go overnight & cost $$$" and I told them "no - it's a rifle" and it went slow & cheap. But other than that never a problem.

            I do think UPS is a bit easier to deal with though. They seem to have the routine down a bit more pat, as in "oh, it's a gun - (yawn) who cares".
            GOA Member & SAF Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              RedFord150
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2009
              • 5665

              I used the FEDEX center in City of Industry, CA about 18 months ago. They let me do the 3 day service with no hassles. They even sold me a Box to ship it in for a couple of $. I used their tape and their counter to re-package it.
              Overall, the service and experience was A+.
              God Did Not Create All Men Equal, Colonel Colt Did.

              Comment

              • #8
                tbhracing
                Banned
                • Oct 2008
                • 5523

                Sorry, in short I cant stand ignorant and stupid people. Especially when it comes to firearms.

                Comment

                • #9
                  b.faust
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 1576

                  Try shipping 20 rounds of ammo to someone.
                  Awhile back I asked if anyone here wanted to test out some Tula ammo I had to see if they had the same primer strike issues I was having.
                  That was the easy part.

                  I can't find a single freakin shipping co up here in SF or Marin that will honor their own damn website.

                  "We're can't ship that sorry."

                  I gave up.

                  B.
                  ______________________________________
                  http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/donate

                  DONATE TODAY!!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    civilsnake
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 2261

                    I typically remove the barrel from the slide and ship it along with the rest of the pistol and simply tell them it's "machine parts".
                    Then another horse PONY came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other. To him was given a huge sword. My kinda guy.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Z ME FLY
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 6590

                      Originally posted by b.faust
                      Try shipping 20 rounds of ammo to someone.
                      Awhile back I asked if anyone here wanted to test out some Tula ammo I had to see if they had the same primer strike issues I was having.
                      That was the easy part.

                      I can't find a single freakin shipping co up here in SF or Marin that will honor their own damn website.

                      "We're can't ship that sorry."

                      I gave up.

                      B.
                      If you make it to this side of the Bay Area, let me know I can test the ammo out in my AK47. If the ammo is 7.62x39
                      Originally posted by 69Mach1
                      The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

                      Originally posted by 69Mach1
                      Z gets around. lol

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        winnre
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 9214

                        Good thing it wasn't TWO guns!
                        "If Jesus had a gun he would be alive today"-Homer Simpson

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Bug Splat
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 6561

                          Originally posted by civilsnake
                          I typically remove the barrel from the slide and ship it along with the rest of the pistol and simply tell them it's "machine parts".
                          +1

                          I bring the firearm already boxed and ready to ship. Sure it takes more time running around buying the supplies but the last thing I want is some num-nuts clerk knowing there is a firearm ready for him or a buddy to walk away with. I just tell them its a car part. They look happy, I look happy and my package gets from A to B without any issue. I have a cousin who work for UPS and he said he knows guys who have and will take any package with firearm related markings.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NiteQwill
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Dec 2007
                            • 6368

                            Per FedEx and UPS policy you must declare there you are shipping a firearm. Your insurance is invalidated if you don't.

                            The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              allenst65
                              Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • 343

                              Originally posted by NiteQwill
                              Per FedEx and UPS policy you must declare there you are shipping a firearm. Your insurance is invalidated if you don't.
                              And what do they do with your declaration to insure it is 'noted' for insurance purposes?

                              I have my own account and prepare the shipment prior to dropping the package off at the FedEx hub. I've shipped longarms, already boxed and with my prepared shipping label attached, and when I drop it off I tell them what it is. The law says nothing on the outside of the box can mention the contents, and the receiving clerks do nothing on their computer to note my declaration other than scanning the barcode into the system. So from these instances, how could failing to declare the contents be used to invalidate the insurance since nothing on the box, my shipper, or noted by the clerk alludes to the fact that the box contains a firearm ?

                              As an aside, literally 95%+ times you drop off an already prepared package with the shipping label attached, they clerks NEVER ask what is inside.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1