Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

USP 45 after double charge (pics)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • problemchild
    Banned
    • Oct 2005
    • 6959

    USP 45 after double charge (pics)







  • #2
    Ducati748r
    Member
    • Mar 2005
    • 182

    Christ I hope no one was injured.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don\'t.

    Comment

    • #3
      slomustang
      Junior Member
      • May 2005
      • 21

      Was this your personal firearm????

      Wow, I agree with Ducati, I hope no one was hurt.

      Comment

      • #4
        Turbinator
        Administrator
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 11962

        And the MK23 was tested with a double charge proof load, I think, during the pistol trials. I wonder if the same thing could or would happen to a MK23.

        Turby

        Comment

        • #5
          kalibear
          Yo
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Oct 2005
          • 604

          The mag must've launched out of that thing like a rocket. Yikes!

          Any metal come off the slide too?
          "Want me to punch-i-size your face, for free?" ~ RF

          Comment

          • #6
            soopafly
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 2039

            is this the same USP with the O ring match barrel and Expert trigger from an earlier post?
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Mike Searson
              Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 451

              That's not from a double charge.

              That's a reload with a bad case.

              When brass fired from unsupported chambers is constantly resized, you'll notice a ring around the case.

              If you shoot 40 S&W out of a Glock, USP, or any unsupported bbl you'll notice a telltale bulge in the empty cases. As this is resized time and again it makes the structure of the case weaker.

              Sooner or later the case goes at that point and the charge decides that's the path of least resistance and it goes that way instead of down range... then the gun goes bad like this one did.

              There's a number of other factors involved...enough that I won't willfully shoot a 40 caliber Glock or USP.

              Although I have seen this in 1 45 ACP and 1 9mm incident, the overwhelming majority that I've witnessed has been 40 S&W using a mid to fast burning powder.

              Comment

              • #8
                imported_kantstudien
                Junior Member
                • Apr 2003
                • 52

                That is a .45, so the "myth" of the unsupported chamber does not apply here.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mike Searson
                  Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 451

                  This gun may have had a supported chamber, but so what.

                  I'm betting the brass that went into it was resized too many times and was fired from guns without a supported chamber.

                  Catastrophic failure at the ***-end of that case points that out.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    problemchild
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 6959

                    interesting....

                    What would a double charge do?

                    Not blow out the back of the case?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Turbinator
                      Administrator
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 11962

                      Originally posted by problemchild:
                      interesting....

                      What would a double charge do?

                      Not blow out the back of the case?
                      So you never did tell us, was that your USP?? The one in the pic has the expert trigger -- just as yours does in the other thread!! Same gun!?!?

                      Turby

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        problemchild
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 6959

                        same gun next weekend

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Turbinator
                          Administrator
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 11962

                          Holy cow, what a shame!!

                          Sorry to hear it - let us know if you are able to get any repairs or replacements from HK, although understandably it is not their fault. Curious what costs are involved.

                          You weren't hurt, I presume, in the blast?

                          Turby

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            BigAL
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 832

                            Was this your reload?

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              problemchild
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 6959

                              Hk said 130.00 for new frame.
                              5 weeks to do it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1