Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Revolver vs. Auto

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    23 Blast
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 3754

    Kurac, those are some sweeeeet grips! What are they and where did you get them?

    And yes, while semis might have more to offer overall in a handgun, a revolver's simplicity is it's strong point. I think learning to shoot a revolver is much easier than an auto. The manual of arms is much simpler and a raw newbie can concentrate on hitting the target (with the light SA pull) and not on ducking the ejected brass.

    One of these days I'm gonna splurge and get me one of those 8-shot 627s. I would love it if S&W came out with their Classic 27's except with an 8-shot cylinder instead of the 6-shot. I like blued and walnut.
    "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
    [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

    Comment

    • #17
      shaunbowler@yahoo.com
      Member
      • Nov 2009
      • 309

      What about the "trigger pull weight."
      Autos are real light.
      Every Revovlver I have shot seems heavy, and I am afraid a 5'2" 95lbs "weakling" while pulling the trigger will end up shooting at the sky.

      Comment

      • #18
        SCMA-1
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 4292

        Originally posted by shaunbowler@yahoo.com
        What about the "trigger pull weight."
        Autos are real light.
        Every Revovlver I have shot seems heavy, and I am afraid a 5'2" 95lbs "weakling" while pulling the trigger will end up shooting at the sky.
        That's a legitimate concern. Although the characteristics of the revolver double action pull can be altered by tuning and/or parts replacement, generally, most stock revolvers have very creepy and heavy double action pulls which do not contribute to fine accuracy. Double action revolvers can also be fired from the single action mode but their triggers are even lighter when staged than most semi-autos making them a liability for ND in a defensive/stressful situation; for this reason, double action revolvers kept for defensive purposes should be practiced with in the double action mode. This does not just apply to women but men also; semi-auto trigger actions are generally much easier to shoot accurately than double action revolver.

        The best thing to do is take her to a range with a wide selection of rentals, have her try various types and calibers. The one she shoots the best with is probably the one to get.
        sigpic

        "Wherever I Walk,
        Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

        Wherever I Am,
        Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

        Whenever I Return Home,
        Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
        - "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey

        Comment

        • #19
          Bobotheclown
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2008
          • 718

          +1 on letting her try different gun. Now replace rent with buy and you have my method of convincing fiancee about all my purchases...

          Comment

          • #20
            jazman
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 2140

            Originally posted by shaunbowler@yahoo.com
            I am going to buy a hand gun for my girlfriend.
            I have a #39 S&W.
            Why would someone by a revolver instead of an auto?
            In my humble opinion the auto has a lot more to offer.
            Easy trigger pull, larger capacity, easier to carry/conceal.
            Why would someone buy a revolver vs. auto?
            Well, has your auto ever failed to fire? Or jammed? Stove piped? Even once? Has is gone bang every single time you have pulled the trigger? Has it operated absolutely perfectly? If it has ever failed to fire, even once, there is your answer. The revolver won't fail to fire, and isn't that what you want and need in a gun, especially for defense?
            Originally posted by Kestryll
            You're boned.
            _________________________________

            If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.

            Comment

            • #21
              BigDogatPlay
              Calguns Addict
              • Jun 2007
              • 7362

              Originally posted by shaunbowler@yahoo.com
              What about the "trigger pull weight."
              Autos are real light.
              Every Revovlver I have shot seems heavy, and I am afraid a 5'2" 95lbs "weakling" while pulling the trigger will end up shooting at the sky.
              A consideration, but again it comes down to familiarity and what she is comfortable with. My 5'4" wife prefers a K frame S&W revolver. With Magna grips on a 4 inch 19 she is quite comfortable and very effective, she's even better with a round butt and a short barrel. 629 3 inch she shoots well, although she only fires 44 Special out of it, not too interested in magnums after watching me fire them.

              Of course she has never gotten over the phobia of thinking the slide on an auto is going to fly off and tag her in the nose which might have something to do with her preferences.

              -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

              Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

              Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

              Comment

              • #22
                Barkoff
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 507

                Comment

                • #23
                  Barkoff
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 507

                  Originally posted by jazman
                  Well, has your auto ever failed to fire? Or jammed? Stove piped? Even once? Has is gone bang every single time you have pulled the trigger? Has it operated absolutely perfectly? If it has ever failed to fire, even once, there is your answer. The revolver won't fail to fire, and isn't that what you want and need in a gun, especially for defense?
                  Or if it does, just squeeze it again.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    1JimMarch
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 1803

                    There's revolvers, and then there's revolvers gone "hardcore".



                    Comment

                    • #25
                      chickenfried
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 7160

                      just to play devil's advocate. The range is now safe

                      Originally posted by jazman
                      Well, has your auto ever failed to fire? Or jammed? Stove piped? Even once? Has is gone bang every single time you have pulled the trigger? Has it operated absolutely perfectly? If it has ever failed to fire, even once, there is your answer. The revolver won't fail to fire, and isn't that what you want and need in a gun, especially for defense?
                      Originally posted by victor1echo
                      Hollywood is satan!!!!
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        kurac
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 2917

                        He admitted he has no clue, I think thats the problem
                        www.culinagrips.com
                        "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          SCMA-1
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 4292

                          Originally posted by jazman
                          Well, has your auto ever failed to fire? Or jammed? Stove piped? Even once? Has is gone bang every single time you have pulled the trigger? Has it operated absolutely perfectly? If it has ever failed to fire, even once, there is your answer. The revolver won't fail to fire, and isn't that what you want and need in a gun, especially for defense?
                          I've had semi-autos jam when fed out of spec ammo or inappropriate ammo, when the gun wasn't properly maintained and needed cleaning or fed with out of spec or defective magazines. To be fair, I've ALSO had revolvers jam as a result of primers backing out locking up the cylinder preventing it from turning or swinging out. I've had ejector rods loosen and unscrew preventing the cylinder from swinging out.

                          The more appropriate question is: have you ever had a handgun (revolver or semi) fail to fire or jam that was not a result of using inappropriate or defective ammunition, improper or lack of maintenance, improper use/training of the weapon or defects with the gun itself? The point is virtually all modern handguns of reasonable quality and sound design will function flawlessly when used and maintained as designed and fed appropriate ammunition.
                          sigpic

                          "Wherever I Walk,
                          Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

                          Wherever I Am,
                          Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

                          Whenever I Return Home,
                          Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
                          - "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            BigDogatPlay
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2007
                            • 7362

                            Thats exactly the problem... no apparent clue about the condition of his equipment. The only way the yoke falls off is if the screw is backed out, the tip is broken, the screw is missing or the flange on the yoke is broken.

                            Any one of those is easily diagnosed when cleaning.
                            -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

                            Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

                            Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              J-cat
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2005
                              • 6626

                              Maybe he forgot to replace that little screw that holds the cylinder crane from falling out after cleaning.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                chickenfried
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 7160

                                Well to be fair it was a no clue if the screw was still there not a no clue that there was a screw that's supposed to be there. But they added text to the video, the screw was still there. I'm going to check all mine tomorrow.
                                Originally posted by victor1echo
                                Hollywood is satan!!!!
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1