Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

glocks and lead bullets...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    dancinzen
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2007
    • 852

    thanks...very informative..

    Comment

    • #17
      Nynvolt
      Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 297

      I never heard about the safety hazards of shooting lead in Glocks or other polygonal rifled barrels until joining this forum. I used to fire it from my glock 19 back 15+ years ago, never had any problems. Is it impossible to clean out or something?

      I'm NOT suggesting it's safe by the way. Guess I just got lucky?

      Comment

      • #18
        Voo
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2008
        • 1702

        Originally posted by Nynvolt
        I never heard about the safety hazards of shooting lead in Glocks or other polygonal rifled barrels until joining this forum. I used to fire it from my glock 19 back 15+ years ago, never had any problems. Is it impossible to clean out or something?

        I'm NOT suggesting it's safe by the way. Guess I just got lucky?
        :-)

        I wouldnt say lucky, just that people tend to overreact to the dangers..

        It's not impossible to clean out..just tedious?

        As for why its' tricky- it has to do with the polygonally cut barrel.. The rifling is designed to grip the bullet as it travels the length of the barrel.. In the case of lead, it just smears and doesn't get readily pushed out the gun. Over time, the lead builds up and provides even more resistance.. Eventually this pressure can exceed design specs and "kaboom".. no more gun..
        Aloha snackbar!

        Comment

        • #19
          BMWguy206
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jan 2006
          • 1034

          My friends dad went to the Northridge Firing-Line and he mentioned to the range officer that he's afraid their reload ammo will cause severe damage to his new Glock 23. Range officer told him if their reload ammo causes severe damage then they will buy him a new gun.

          BTW how can one tell if you're given reload ammo or not? I went to the range tonight in Burbank and fired about 200 rounds on my new Glock 35 but instead of brass ammo it looked like polished steel ammo. Pretty sure they had to be reloads though because of the price.

          Comment

          • #20
            BamBam-31
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Dec 2005
            • 5318

            ^^^Are you talking about nickel-plated casings vs. brass casings? Either way, mixed headstamps and/or wear marks on the casings would be dead giveaways. If it's stuff the range is selling you, and it isn't in new factory packaging, chances are nigh near 100% they're range reloads.
            Last edited by BamBam-31; 03-03-2010, 11:57 PM.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              BMWguy206
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jan 2006
              • 1034

              Originally posted by BamBam-31
              ^^^Are you talking about nickel-plated casings vs. brass casings? Either way, mixed headstamps and/or wear marks on the casings would be dead giveaways. If it's stuff the range is selling you, and it isn't in new factory packaging, chances are nigh near 100% they're range reloads.
              I thought so. Thanks!

              Comment

              • #22
                CGK60
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 594

                Thats all i shot in my Glock 30. just clean after every range trip.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Nynvolt
                  Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 297

                  I wouldnt say lucky, just that people tend to overreact to the dangers..

                  It's not impossible to clean out..just tedious?

                  As for why its' tricky- it has to do with the polygonally cut barrel.. The rifling is designed to grip the bullet as it travels the length of the barrel.. In the case of lead, it just smears and doesn't get readily pushed out the gun. Over time, the lead builds up and provides even more resistance.. Eventually this pressure can exceed design specs and "kaboom".. no more gun..
                  Thanks for that, re-read my post and it sounded somewhat trite. I didn't lube that gun at all but always scrubbed the barrel nicely after shooting it. I had a dud make it half way down the barrel once while shooting reloads. I wonder if the leading was partially to blame or they were just cruddy reloads.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Army
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3915

                    Standard manufacturers use lead wire and swaging machines to make their bullets, this requires soft lead. Soft lead is not good for "full contact" polygonal rifling.

                    If you pour your own, make them very hard, or buy custom bullets of high antimony, hard cast lead. The more hard, the better. Hard cast bullets negate the stripping or smearing of lead in the barrel, making them safe for Glocks.
                    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      SCMA-1
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 4292

                      There's so much misinformation on this forum. I'm another lead bullet shooter; I have been reloading and shooting lead for over 20 years. I've never had a "kaboom"; not even in one of my Glocks which receive a steady diet of tens of thousands of all lead reloads. (shocking!)....

                      Like the other experienced shooters/reloaders have already mentioned, if you don't know what you are doing, don't understand reloading or have the discipline to do it properly and safely, don't maintain your weapons properly (including keeping the barrels clean of lead buildup); IOW, if you are a Calnoob, then do yourself a favor and stick to factory ammo. Otherwise, shooting lead bullets out of stock Glock barrels is not only perfectly safe, they can be quite accurate with the right lead bullets (with superior hardness) and load. Here are the hardcast lead bullets I currently use; they are exceptionally hard and very accurate:

                      sigpic

                      "Wherever I Walk,
                      Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

                      Wherever I Am,
                      Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

                      Whenever I Return Home,
                      Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
                      - "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Desert Dude
                        Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 112

                        I also shoot lead from my Glock with the standard barrel. No problems. You can go to glocktalk.com and read everything there is about all the Glocks ever made. However, be forewarned, you will get about 50% who say go ahead and 50% that say don't do it. Just like in here!

                        I've shot 10's of thousands of reloaded lead bullets and never had a kaboom. Almost all problems from reloads come from the guy who reloaded them, not the gun.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          dancinzen
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 852

                          So I just bought 2000 military wcc once fired 9mm brass to reload for my new g19. And most if not all the brass I have looked at have a small bulge towards the base of the case( described previously as being shot in an unsupported chamber) . Will this be safe to shoot? When I put them through my resizing dies will it straighten them back up and be ok in a standard g19 barrel?

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Z ME FLY
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 6590

                            It is safe to shoot, don't worry. You just have to be a smart firearm owner and clean your glock. Glocks are super easy to take apart. I would probably just take off the slide and clean the slide and barrel every 100 rounds if shooting lead. I've done it before. Of course they will tell you it's not a good idea to do it because most people would probably overdo it and not clean their gun and shoot a ton of lead from their glock.
                            Originally posted by 69Mach1
                            The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

                            Originally posted by 69Mach1
                            Z gets around. lol

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Dubels
                              Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 490

                              Originally posted by BMWguy206
                              My friends dad went to the Northridge Firing-Line and he mentioned to the range officer that he's afraid their reload ammo will cause severe damage to his new Glock 23. Range officer told him if their reload ammo causes severe damage then they will buy him a new gun.
                              But where will they find him a new hand? Just saying if you have doubts stick to your own reloads. I shoot miwall and RMammo reloads with no problems out of my Glock.

                              Originally posted by dancinzen
                              So I just bought 2000 military wcc once fired 9mm brass to reload for my new g19. And most if not all the brass I have looked at have a small bulge towards the base of the case( described previously as being shot in an unsupported chamber) . Will this be safe to shoot? When I put them through my resizing dies will it straighten them back up and be ok in a standard g19 barrel?
                              If you resize all the way then the guppy bulge will go away. I have been reading that dillon dies don't resize the guppy bulge properly but that has been reported mainly in 40 S&W. I know lee dies have no problem with getting rid of the guppy bulge. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/inde...showtopic=5594
                              Last edited by Dubels; 03-05-2010, 12:01 PM.
                              IANYL. All post are made for my own personal entertainment purposes and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                duc748bip
                                Senior Member
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 1081

                                Originally posted by nn3453
                                If the bit that points forward looks black, it is lead
                                Or Black Talon!! (Winchester SXT ranger )

                                if the bullet can easily cut, nick, or damage by a key or fingernail then its lead.
                                P.S. Lead is Toxic so wash your hand afterward

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1