Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

92fs accuracy (or lack thereof)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Friar_Tuck
    Banned
    • Dec 2009
    • 156

    92fs accuracy (or lack thereof)

    I've never been impressed with the accuracy of my 92fs, and I've always thought the reason that the gun is inherently innaccurate is the design of the barrel/slide. When the pistol is ready to fire the barrel is kind of loose in the slide. In comparison, a 1911 type pistol, when ready to fire there is a bushing that sort of squares up the barrel in the slide after each shot, the beretta on the other hand just allows the barrel to flop around up there. My question is, is there a fix for this to tighten up that action??
  • #2
    HappyG
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 942

    Accuracy with my Beretta's are all on par with any other manufacturer, but the sights need work. Are you using factory sights? Perhaps upgrading the sights might do the trick..

    Either that, or check your springs and wear and tear parts.

    Comment

    • #3
      Blademan21
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2007
      • 1941

      Not flaming you,but perhaps you need to shoot it more. 92fs is combat accurate right out of the box.

      Comment

      • #4
        Friar_Tuck
        Banned
        • Dec 2009
        • 156

        Well, maybe there is a problem with my gun. Let me say this; should I be able to wiggle the barrel around when the slide is locked fully rearward? In other words, if I hold the pistol with my left hand and then take my thumb and forefinger of my right I can move the barrel back and forth slightly (at the front where the barrel protrudes past the slide/frame) I have tritium aftermarket sights which are OK but I dont think they're any better or worse than the OEM ones. I remember when I first got it, my BIL had just gotten a Sig 226 and I tried them both. THe Sig was without a doubt much more consistant by a wide margin.

        Comment

        • #5
          Peter W Bush
          Calguns Supreme Overlord
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Jan 2009
          • 4727

          My 92 is pretty picky with ammo though. It'll eat anything but isnt accurate with UMC mega pack stuff for some reason.
          Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.

          Originally posted by TURBOELKY
          Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
          Originally posted by TURBOELKY
          put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D

          Comment

          • #6
            buffybuster
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 2615

            Originally posted by Peter W Bush
            My 92 is pretty picky with ammo though. It'll eat anything but isnt accurate with UMC mega pack stuff for some reason.
            That crap ammo is probably the reason. Every 92FS that I've come across has been able to hold ~3" groups at 25yds with good ammo.
            Luck favors the prepared.

            The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.

            "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

            Comment

            • #7
              ChrisO
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • 4678

              Originally posted by Friar_Tuck
              Well, maybe there is a problem with my gun. Let me say this; should I be able to wiggle the barrel around when the slide is locked fully rearward? In other words, if I hold the pistol with my left hand and then take my thumb and forefinger of my right I can move the barrel back and forth slightly (at the front where the barrel protrudes past the slide/frame) I have tritium aftermarket sights which are OK but I dont think they're any better or worse than the OEM ones. I remember when I first got it, my BIL had just gotten a Sig 226 and I tried them both. THe Sig was without a doubt much more consistant by a wide margin.

              HAHA I lock back the slide on my glock and it does that... It's not a bolt action rifle there will be movement. Every beretta I have fired has been more accurate than I am. As far as you thinking other guns are better/more accurate maybe it doesn't fit your hand well? Maybe the problem is you not the gun.

              Comment

              • #8
                CA Gun Laws Suck
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2006
                • 1289

                I have to agree that that the Beretta 92's are very accurate with standard facotry ammo. I can shoot mine as well as any of my other pistols usually guns are inaccurate because of operator error.
                "This country has a mental health problem disguised as a gun problem, and a tyranny problem disguised as a security problem." -Joe Rogan

                Comment

                • #9
                  Friar_Tuck
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 156

                  Originally posted by ChrisO
                  HAHA I lock back the slide on my glock and it does that... It's not a bolt action rifle there will be movement. Every beretta I have fired has been more accurate than I am. As far as you thinking other guns are better/more accurate maybe it doesn't fit your hand well? Maybe the problem is you not the gun.
                  I wasnt clear there, I dont mean when it's locked rearward in the unlocked open position, I meant to say when its locked ready to fire. My glocks have no perceptable movement when the barrel is locked to the slide in ready to fire condition. The fact remains, (in spite of all the expert 92fs shooters here) that the barrel does not lock tighly to the slide at the front when the pistol is ready to fire.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    zhyla
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2017

                    Nothing wrong with the 92 design, accuracy wise. Have you benched the gun?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Blue
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 8071

                      Originally posted by Friar_Tuck
                      I wasnt clear there, I dont mean when it's locked rearward in the unlocked open position, I meant to say when its locked ready to fire. My glocks have no perceptable movement when the barrel is locked to the slide in ready to fire condition. The fact remains, (in spite of all the expert 92fs shooters here) that the barrel does not lock tighly to the slide at the front when the pistol is ready to fire.
                      My 96 has a little bit of wiggle jiggle up front when the slide is locked forward and ready to fire. It's been a few years since I've shot her, but I remember it being an accurate gun. Maybe the grip is too fat for your hand?
                      Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
                      Let my aim be true and my hand faster
                      than those who would seek to destroy me.
                      Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
                      Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
                      And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
                      sigpic
                      NRA Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        2ma2
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 59

                        I agree with the original posters assertion. Without a front bushing the barrel will not lock up in the same spot each time. Do a google search for beretta accurizing and you will get a couple ideas( Weigand makes something that attaches to the front of the slide I think)That said I think its a great pistol anyway

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          maschronic
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 4388

                          Currently, I own 3 92fs. 1 has about 5k thru her without any issues. Very accurate. I get about 3" groupings at 25yards. The other 2 shoots the same. All 3 will shoot any ammo without any problems. I think the problem is with your gun.
                          I am offically a gun nut!!!!!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            sammy
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 3847

                            I don't know what it is but I shot my 92FS better than just about any gun I owned. At 15 yards 2" groups all day long. The weird thing was I could stick my finger in the barrel and could visibly move it side to side. This was with the slide closed. The sights could be better and the grip was just weird to me but it shot very well.

                            Chances are the problem is user error. Some guns just don't work with some people. I had a Sig X-Five in 9mm and I could not shoot that gun nearly as well as the Beretta. Next time at the range look for a good shooter and see how he or she can group with your pistol.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              The King
                              Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • 369

                              I'm with you. My 92 seems loose and my kimber eclipse seems tight. OK..."Well Duh"
                              Anyway my 92 trigger is what it is and my government model, my large frame smiths, and others, all have much better triggers. And i probably need more practice. I'm done.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1