I have a box stock Sig P226 that has never been able to feed a full magazine. I either get stove pipes, incomplete ejections etc. I have only put military ball ammo through it so far. I thought the gun must be too dry so I cleaned and lubed it up liberally with little to no improvement. I am willing to have a gunsmith take a peek but it seems a bit overkill to rework a brand new gun.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
P226 feed issues
Collapse
X
-
If you're having this problem with new OEM magazines, using factory NEW ammunition, it is VERY unusual (first I've heard of). If the pistol is all original (s/n on barrel matches slide and frame) 100% stock, contact the SIG factory and return it for a diagnosis.Luck favors the prepared.
The original battle plan did not survive initial contact with the enemy.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt -
Good idea.. the gun was bought new from a local gun shop. I have only used the factory mags supplied with the gun and Winchester ball ammo. On the other hand my TRP is a tack driver that will eat anything.. sometimes simpler is better IMO.Last edited by vmwerks; 02-01-2010, 10:44 AM.Comment
-
Maybe some more rounds of break-in? Have you've tried other brands of ammo? My friend just got 226, for first 50 rounds, the slide would not hold back on last round. This was with factory ammo and OEM magazines. After the first 50, it was feeding just fine. One thing I noticed was polymer recoil rod. Guess SIG is cutting corners to save money. The older Sigs have steel recoil guide rod.Comment
-
When I bought my fist Sig Pistol a 226 9mm. I was having the same problem.
I called Sig and they told me to lubricate the pistol lightly on the rails, and lockup point inside the slide with Break Free CLP and to not forget to put a small swipe of lubricant with a q-tip on this point (see picture) this is an important lockup point on a P226 and often overlooked. I followed their directions and bling no more problems. Also don't forget to shake the bottle first.
Last edited by psango; 02-01-2010, 9:07 AM.Always remember to pillage before you burn.Comment
-
Psango,
Nice Marui Airsoft pistol.
As for the Feed Issues, if Its new, try hand cycling for about 50 time with a snap cap in place of the chamber. Also put oil under the slide near where Locking block meets the slide. It might be too sharp and needs to broken in more.Current Armory:
HK p7m8
Dan Wesson Guardian 9mm
Hi-Power Practical
Baby Eagle 9mm
P99 AS
Glock 43Comment
-
i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet...and it falls in line with your comment about cleaning and lubing a new gun.
did you disassemble and clean all the gunk out of your magazines?
most feeding problems start at the mag, most new Sig mags are full of dried yellow stuff.
winchester ball ammo is usually underloaded, try some +P ammo in it...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's TaleComment
-
Thanks everyone.. psango I did notice some galling at the area you pointed out so I lubed extra there too. I did not want to resort to hotter ammo to solve a gun issue.
jrara, I'll take a look in there as well... I might head out to Rancho gun and give it another try this afternoon.
I have the steel guideComment
-
didn't have a pix of a real one
That's just the first pix I could find on the internet to illustrate where to put the
lube. I no longer have a P226 and didn't want to drag out the camera to photograph my p220 or 228. That lube point is important not to forget and has helped others and myself with failure to feed.
And yes all factory oils and junk should be removed form the pistol and mags. yuk!Last edited by psango; 02-01-2010, 10:51 AM.Always remember to pillage before you burn.Comment
-
Not sure what you're using to lube, or where at, but here's a good guide for Sigs. It's written by flork who used to work for Gray Guns.
sigpicComment
-
Yea, definitely recommend checking out Slide Glide for your Sig. They def liek to run "wet."
Another factor is ammo. I know I've had issues with cycling etc in the past with my Sig when I shot lower grain ammo.
PS: Wow, I notice me and another member here has the same avatar. haha.Comment
-
I would say, clean it..lube it... and make sure your fingers are NOT riding the slide anywhere..
Failure to eject is generally not an issue with magazines. If the gun doesnt eject the spent brass, I would look at ammo, extractor, roughness when racking the slide, correct recoil spring..or user error (finger riding the slide/limp wristing it)..
Dont' send it back. That'll cost you a grip of money and Sig will likely say, "nothing wrong, couldnt replicate error". Then you're back at square one minus 60 bucks or so for overnight shipping If you've exhausted all these options, only then I would consider sending it back..Aloha snackbar!Comment
-
If you are talking about the Hoppes oil, It is to light for the slide and other metal to metal working parts... It won't stay put and is to thin. Like stated before Slid Glide is a great grease for this application.. Use the guide for lubing that someone else has linked to over at the Sig forum and you should be good to go...
Good luck.sigpic
IF THE BRADY BUNCH WAS AROUND
WHEN CAIN KILLED ABEL,
THERE WOULD BE A 10DAY
WAITING PERIOD ON ROCKS
Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,854
Posts: 25,152,451
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,763
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 13058 users online. 69 members and 12989 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment