Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I think I just lost my mind...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • xxxx
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 1706

    I think I just lost my mind...

    Well, my Glock 26 was stolen and I was looking for another subcompact for CCW, I very rarely do mind you, mostly out of state because of my Utah CCW and at private events.

    Here is my other thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=264082

    I was looking at the Walther P99c (AS), HK P2000SK, and eying out the Walther PPS.

    Well, I held the P99c again, and it's almost the same size as my Glock 19, same with the P2000SK. I have watched this video demonstrating how slim the PPS is;



    You can't get the PPS in CA, just came out and with all the Walther recalls it's worrisome, only 7 rounds of 9mm and even if I was able to get it, I am looking at a pretty big price tag for what it is.

    So here's the part where I think most of you are going to say, "This guy is an idiot or insane." I went to my friends private range to test out a few subcompacts, I shot his Walther P22. LOVED IT.

    The P22 was absolutely amazing SA/DA was great, external ambi-safety on the slide was great, mag release was great, weighed close to nothing, and I could easily put 10 rounds of hot .22LR down range at 25 yards and hit center mass every single time (most other .22's are more accurate but they have much longer and better barrels). It is also much smaller and lighter than the P99c, P2000SK, and G26. I took it apart and it seemed to be pretty well built and designed. I was really impressed, and I thought, "Man, this would be an awesome carry gun if it wasn't a .22"

    For the past day I still can't shake that feeling, it's the perfect size, not so small that you can't hold it properly, really fast and accurate follow up shots, 10 rounds, external safety. It really fits the bill for a pocket gun.

    And I don't want to start a caliber war, but we have all heard stories of people getting shot once with a .22LR and dying and a sober guy getting 7 .45ACP's in the chest and still trying to kill.

    I figure at 25 yards, I can put 10 rounds in 10 seconds at 12x12 with that little plinker, maybe it would make for a good "tuxedo"/pocket gun. Now don't get me wrong; I am not going to go to the ghetto of Compton with a P22, but just for everyday things, the better safe than sorry scenarios. I was even thinking about painting it white so it would be less visible under a dress shirt.

    I am going to buy a .22LR pistol no matter what for the range, I was going to buy a Ruger MK III but this is around $300 I believe - that's out of this world. It kills two birds with one stone for me.

    Have I gone completely insane? Is this a really bad idea? I know a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44 and a .22 in your hand is better than a .45 on your nightstand.

    Let's hear it.
  • #2
    Rekrab
    Valar Dohaeris
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2009
    • 5534

    Why not step up to a .380? Plenty of tiny options in that caliber. My Bersa 380 fits comfortably in my back pocket.
    Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

    Big Ammo Sale!
    Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

    Comment

    • #3
      Black Majik
      Calguns Addict
      • Oct 2005
      • 9695

      A few questions to ask yourself:

      Aside from the pistol's performance, can you trust the .22 to work EVERY SINGLE TIME? What if it rains and your gun is wet, will the .22 fire upon demand? Is it 100% reliable?

      Comment

      • #4
        turbochris
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 849

        Originally posted by Rekrab
        Why not step up to a .380? Plenty of tiny options in that caliber. My Bersa 380 fits comfortably in my back pocket.
        if you go 380 might as well go 9mm

        Comment

        • #5
          Grumpyoldretiredcop
          Calguns Addict
          • Sep 2008
          • 6437

          Wouldn't do it. It's just not an effective round. There are other small semi-autos that you might consider. A Kahr 9MM isn't much, if any, larger than the P22 (as an example).
          I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!

          Comment

          • #6
            Black Majik
            Calguns Addict
            • Oct 2005
            • 9695

            Originally posted by turbochris
            if you go 380 might as well go 9mm
            If you go 9mm might as well go .45

            Comment

            • #7
              jimmythebrain
              Member
              • Dec 2007
              • 425

              If all you have for self defense is a 22 LR, then use it. BUT...if you are about to buy, get at least a 9 MM in a semi-auto or 38 special in a revolver.

              They make lower recoil 9 MM rounds. The .380 is more expensive and harder to find than 9 MM.

              BTW- do not get a P22. The slides are made of some zinc alloy pot metal that wears relatively quickly. With shooting the gun about 5000 rounds the slide widened and caused increased gap between the rail contact points and the slide groove. The slide hold open notch rounded over as well. They are poorly made. The Ruger and Browning Buckmark are made of steel and are much better guns than the P22. I had a P22 and sold it.

              Comment

              • #8
                Rekrab
                Valar Dohaeris
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • May 2009
                • 5534

                Originally posted by turbochris
                if you go 380 might as well go 9mm
                If there is a 9mm as small as my Bersa and CA legal I'd be interested to know about it.
                Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

                Big Ammo Sale!
                Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

                Comment

                • #9
                  xxxx
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 1706

                  Originally posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop
                  Wouldn't do it. It's just not an effective round. There are other small semi-autos that you might consider. A Kahr 9MM isn't much, if any, larger than the P22 (as an example).
                  Yes, but the PM9/MK9 does not meet my requirements in the following ways:

                  1) Too small, especially for a 9mm, follow up shots? Yeah right, you can't even get your pinky on that thing! That's a mouse gun.
                  2) I want to try to stay from DAO for a CCW.
                  3) I would really like an external safety.

                  I agree for the most part that .380 is useless since 9mm exists.

                  I have been following the P22 and it's problems for a while now (feeding problems mostly). S&W fixed most of them, except for the zinc slide, thus the light weight. Most problems with the zinc slide happen with the 5" model and the slide constantly slams against the compensator, but it's rare to hear any problems about the zinc slide on the normal P99.

                  The rain, you do bring up a point - but I live in LA... and I don't trust any firearm 100%.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    xxxx
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 1706

                    Originally posted by Rekrab
                    If there is a 9mm as small as my Bersa and CA legal I'd be interested to know about it.
                    I believe the Kahr PM9 is. Now back to my madness!!!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      rgs1975
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 1928

                      Originally posted by Black Majik
                      If you go 9mm might as well go .45
                      If you go .45 you might as well go .50AE
                      It's too late, it's over.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        1 SIG fan
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 2491

                        ^^. Damn I was. gonna say that.

                        The p22 might make a good back ccw to your primary. See that video posted in the SHOT thread about carrying 2...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Rekrab
                          Valar Dohaeris
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • May 2009
                          • 5534

                          Originally posted by rgs1975
                          If you go .45 you might as well go .50AE
                          If you go .50AE you may as well go .500 S&W.
                          Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

                          Big Ammo Sale!
                          Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            nn3453
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2009
                            • 2245

                            Originally posted by Black Majik
                            A few questions to ask yourself:

                            Aside from the pistol's performance, can you trust the .22 to work EVERY SINGLE TIME? What if it rains and your gun is wet, will the .22 fire upon demand? Is it 100% reliable?
                            All my 22 revolvers are
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Rekrab
                              Valar Dohaeris
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • May 2009
                              • 5534

                              Originally posted by xxxx
                              Yes, but the PM9/MK9 does not meet my requirements in the following ways:

                              1) Too small, especially for a 9mm, follow up shots? Yeah right, you can't even get your pinky on that thing! That's a mouse gun.
                              2) I want to try to stay from DAO for a CCW.
                              3) I would really like an external safety.

                              I agree for the most part that .380 is useless since 9mm exists.
                              You've just demonstrated why the .380 is not useless. It's a lighter recoil than the 9mm and therefore much more comfortable to shoot in a small frame gun. The Bersa also meets all your requirements.
                              Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

                              Big Ammo Sale!
                              Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1