Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 mags won't drop free on empty

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kalibear
    Yo
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 604

    1911 mags won't drop free on empty

    I have two 8rd CMC Powermags that I've never had problems before but now they won't drop free on empty. Tried it on different 1911s, same thing. Any fix to this? Can't tell if the body is warped, compared to other mags that worked fine. Springs and followers seem to look fine. Guess its time to switch to Wilson mags
    "Want me to punch-i-size your face, for free?" ~ RF
  • #2
    chickenfried
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 7160

    I noticed my 1911 magazines wouldn't drop free. Turned out the grip screws that came with my thin grips were sticking into the magazine chute(?proper term?) rubbing slightly on the magazine. The drag kept it from dropping freely.
    Originally posted by victor1echo
    Hollywood is satan!!!!
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #3
      kalibear
      Yo
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2005
      • 604

      Originally posted by chickenfried
      I noticed my 1911 magazines wouldn't drop free. Turned out the grip screws that came with my thin grips were sticking into the magazine chute(?proper term?) rubbing slightly on the magazine. The drag kept it from dropping freely.
      Yeah I checked those too and I backed out the screws, still not dropping free
      "Want me to punch-i-size your face, for free?" ~ RF

      Comment

      • #4
        donger
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 1560

        I think it's time to replace those mags.
        Certified Ragaholic

        Comment

        • #5
          Black_Talon
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 2281

          Measure the width of the feedlips compared to the width of the mag body. Powermags are good, but they still suffer from expanding feedlips, especially if kept loaded for long periods.

          Otherwise, check the trigger stirrup to make sure it hasn't become bent far enough inward to impede the magazine.

          If it is the feedlips, switching to Wilsons won't help over the long term. Their bodies are not as robust as Powermags and their lips will expand over time too.
          sigpic

          When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

          Comment

          • #6
            gimmejr
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1613

            My Sig did the same thing, I had them send me a new mag release button and it cleared up.
            Im a genuine E-thug, because talking s**t in person is dangerous.

            Comment

            • #7
              NwG
              Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 321

              Usually a good sigh the feed lips are wore out.. As noted above.. Time for some new mags!!

              Buy Wilsons.. This is covered under the lifetime warrenty.. Just be sure to keep everything they come in...
              1911.....

              Comment

              • #8
                snacks
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2006
                • 939

                Is this happening with a new gun or is it a problem that just surfaced. I had this issue with a brand new SA GI. My wilsons, CMC and Mecgar mags would not drop free. The only mag that dropped free was the one seven rounder they provided with the pistol.

                The culprit was a sear spring that was bent too far into the mag opening which ended up rubbing up against the back of most mags.

                I replaced the sear spring with a Wolff sear spring and all the mags that i have are now dropping free.

                I don't know if your having the same problem i had experienced. I hope this helps.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1