Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Circa 1950 Handguns

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • clickbang
    Member
    • Dec 2009
    • 141

    Circa 1950 Handguns

    My aunt has a pistol in her house that she knows nothing about. It belonged to her husband who bought it in the 1950s. She said that I can have it. I asked her what kind it was and being that she knows nothing about guns, I gathered that it was semiautomatic, kind of big, black, and in excellent condition.

    I am going to see it soon, but I cant stop thinking about what it could possibly be. Hoping it is a 1911.


    I am wondering what kind of semi auto pistols there were at that time. Any ideas from you guys?
  • #2
    B Strong
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2009
    • 6367

    Originally posted by clickbang
    My aunt has a pistol in her house that she knows nothing about. It belonged to her husband who bought it in the 1950s. She said that I can have it. I asked her what kind it was and being that she knows nothing about guns, I gathered that it was semiautomatic, kind of big, black, and in excellent condition.

    I am going to see it soon, but I cant stop thinking about what it could possibly be. Hoping it is a 1911.


    I am wondering what kind of semi auto pistols there were at that time. Any ideas from you guys?
    It could be anything from priceless to worthless.

    Priceless? pre-war Colt National Match .38 Super or .45 ACP. Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum, or Triple Lock New Century in .44 special or .45 Colt. Colt Single Action Army.

    Worthless? Any Spanish made 1911 clone, Steyr-Hahns (OK, collector value there)

    Good luck.
    The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
    ___________________________________________
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Jeff Cooper

    Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

    Comment

    • #3
      Quiet
      retired Goon
      • Mar 2007
      • 30242

      When you go to check it out, don't forget to take pics and post them.

      Also, remember, in order for it to be legally yours, your aunt and you will need to PPT it.
      sigpic

      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

      Comment

      • #4
        clickbang
        Member
        • Dec 2009
        • 141

        Originally posted by Quiet
        When you go to check it out, don't forget to take pics and post them.

        Also, remember, in order for it to be legally yours, your aunt and you will need to PPT it.
        I will do that. Probably be crappy cell phone pics, but better than nothing.

        Comment

        • #5
          Miltiades
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2006
          • 1149

          Big, black 1950s semiauto

          I'm old enough to remember the 1950s and the handguns in use then. My guesses are:

          1. Colt commercial 1911
          2. Government issue 1911 - Colt, Remington Rand, Singer, etc.
          3. German Luger
          4. German Walther P38
          5. Mauser - broomhandle grip
          6. Japanese Nambu

          For your sake I hope its a commercial Colt 1911 in perfect condition.

          Comment

          • #6
            11011500a
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 940

            Browning hi power

            Comment

            • #7
              matrix056
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2009
              • 684

              If it is from the 1950's isnt it C&R eligable?? (before 1959). I may be wrong...

              Comment

              • #8
                Mssr. Eleganté
                Blue Blaze Irregular
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2005
                • 10401

                Originally posted by matrix056
                If it is from the 1950's isnt it C&R eligable?? (before 1959). I may be wrong...
                Yes, any handguns made in the 1950's are C&R now. So she can ship to his local FFL for the transfer if doing a PPT at an FFL is not feasible because of distance or because she is not a California resident.
                __________________

                "Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin

                Comment

                • #9
                  clickbang
                  Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 141

                  Its a Browning 9mm. I didnt get a chance to take a pic of it, but looking online, it looks like this one



                  I am not sure if the sights were that high though. Any other 9mm Brownings at the time than the hi power?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    yoteassasin
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • 2686

                    good score!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      trob
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 1881

                      Originally posted by Miltiades
                      I'm old enough to remember the 1950s and the handguns in use then. My guesses are:

                      1. Colt commercial 1911
                      2. Government issue 1911 - Colt, Remington Rand, Singer, etc.
                      3. German Luger
                      4. German Walther P38
                      5. Mauser - broomhandle grip
                      6. Japanese Nambu

                      For your sake I hope its a commercial Colt 1911 in perfect condition.
                      how about an issued colt in perfect condition? there is nothing sweeter than holding one of these...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BlackonBlack
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2008
                        • 1105

                        Could have been worse! Still a nice pistol!
                        Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from poor decisions.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1