Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W 629 a POS???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mikeinblack
    Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 278

    S&W 629 a POS???

    I have been admiring the S&W 29 / 629 .44 Mag units as of late, as a possible addition to the collection (don't have a .44) and then I received a mailer for "Gun Tests" Magazine in the mail today... They state that when they tested the 629 it: "was plagued by a cylinder that unlocked after ignition leaving the chamber out of alignment" and "locked up with every shot".

    Anyone have the same experience? Is this true?
    "The problem with Socialism is, eventually you run out of other people's money" Margaret Thatcher
  • #2
    Argonaut
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 1352

    They must have found a broken one. I have been shooting them since my first M29 in 1976 and never had a problem. I have maby 3000 rounds through my current M629 4" without a malfunction. Shot shells, Heavy magnums light loads, it digests everything that I can fit in the cylinder

    Comment

    • #3
      Mikeinblack
      Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 278

      Good to hear.... Internal Lock on the current model couldn't be the cause of their experience, could it?
      "The problem with Socialism is, eventually you run out of other people's money" Margaret Thatcher

      Comment

      • #4
        Argonaut
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 1352

        Mine is the current model. I studied the new "lock" before I bought it and couldn't find one negative thing about it except for the impact on the collector value.

        Comment

        • #5
          ColdDeadHands1
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 3391

          I love my 629 Stealth Hunter!!!



          "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"

          Comment

          • #6
            nn3453
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 2245

            The lock myth was invented by guys disguised as old wives who have nothing better to do than knit and post on forums instead of going to the range and actually shoot. Very early locks supposedly had some issues but S&W apparently improved the design.

            I have thousands of rounds through my post lock S&Ws.

            Gun rags often have agendas. That "Gun Tests" stuff has been around for years and they entice you with controversial stuff so you will buy their subscription.
            Last edited by nn3453; 01-05-2010, 7:43 AM.
            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              Trapper
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2007
              • 2159

              I have never had an issue with my 629dx
              When the battle drum beats, it is too late to sharpen your sword."
              Sir Winston Churchill

              Comment

              • #8
                liketoshoot
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 3810

                all I will say is, buy it you'll love it!
                mine has about 2000-3500 rounds of just about every kind of ammo thru her and still works and looks good.
                sigpic
                Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.

                Comment

                • #9
                  feelinducky
                  Member
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 307

                  shortly after I purchased mt 629 I had an issue with the cylinder not wanting to open without useing alot of force to get it open. I had only shot 20 rounds through it. I sent it back to S&W they fixed it no questions asked and it has worked great since. I'm not sure exactly what happened to it but it works great now.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mute
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 8597

                    I've shot quite a number of these over the years. Never a problem. The problem with Gun Tests and other similar reviews is that it's only a single sample. The one sample could be a complete lemon or the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it may not be representative of the norm.
                    NRA Benefactor Life Member
                    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


                    American Marksman Training Group
                    Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      dfletcher
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 14811

                      Originally posted by nn3453
                      The lock myth was invented by guys disguised as old wives who have nothing better to do than knit and post on forums instead of going to the range and actually shoot. Very early locks supposedly had some issues but S&W apparently improved the design.

                      I have thousands of rounds through my post lock S&Ws.

                      Gun rags often have agendas. That "Gun Tests" stuff has been around for years and they entice you with controversial stuff so you will buy their subscription.
                      From what I've read on the Smith & Wesson forum (I know, sounds like the "friend of a friend who told me .....") the few people who have posted firsthand experience with the IL failing were using lightweight 357s, 41s & 44s and similar heavy stuff out of a light gun. I don't know if the IL was defective in those particular guns and would have worked otherwise or if the "light gun + heavy recoil" is an occasional issue.

                      I suppose anything mechanical can fail. I've been shooting 29s since the early 70's and never had an issue, wouldn't hesitate to buy another 29 or 629.
                      GOA Member & SAF Life Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        J-cat
                        Calguns Addict
                        • May 2005
                        • 6626

                        I guess it depends on the vintage of the 629 you are looking at. The eighties variants had oversized cylinder throats and would lead with .430" bullets. In early 90's they tightened-up the throats and redesigned the lockwork to prevent unlocking under heavy recoil. Then they went to those nasty MIM internals and lost alot of customers. S&W Performance Center variants have forged hammers and triggers, but the rest of the internals are still MIM.

                        I hate the internal lock. It's not only an eyesore, it is unnecessary and stupid. My favorite vintage are the pre-MIM/lock mid-90's models.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mikeinblack
                          Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 278

                          Great info, thanks for the responses. I am glad to hear that these are still a good option.
                          "The problem with Socialism is, eventually you run out of other people's money" Margaret Thatcher

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            BroncoBob
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Mar 2008
                            • 6019

                            Have had mine since the early 90's and never had any problems.
                            sigpic
                            NRA MEMBER

                            Originally Posted by ar15barrels
                            Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
                            Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
                            Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

                            Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
                            Michael Reagan

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              devildog101
                              Junior Member
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 87

                              Got mine back in 99 and I have never had a problem.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1