Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Weird experience at range concentrating vs letting it rip.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • chickenfried
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 7160

    Weird experience at range concentrating vs letting it rip.

    I was shooting at a NRA 25 yard pistol target at 25 yards with my .22 today. Using a six o'clock hold, taking my time, and concentrating on each shot I was all over the black. Tried speeding up my shots and got much better groups in the 10 and x rings. My highest X count was actually when I was basically doing rapid fire

    Any idea why the difference?
    Originally posted by victor1echo
    Hollywood is satan!!!!
    sigpic
  • #2
    blkA4alb
    Moderator Emeritus
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Feb 2006
    • 3576

    You're anticipating the recoil, I have the same problem. When you're rapid firing you're not worrying about actually realigning the sights and are relying on kinesthetics.

    Practice practice practice. When you feel yourself jerking or anticipating the recoil stop shooting and do some dry fires.
    Please, calm down.

    Comment

    • #3
      Aluisious
      Banned
      • Nov 2006
      • 1934

      Yeah...your brain is doing too much. The best time I ever fired my old Glock was when I got mad with it and fired a string in haste.

      I have the same experience playing golf and drinking beer...more beer = better golf.

      Comment

      • #4
        colossians323
        Crusader for the truth!
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 21637

        Originally posted by blkA4alb
        You're anticipating the recoil,
        With .22?
        LIVE FREE OR DIE!

        M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

        Originally posted by M. Sage
        I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

        Comment

        • #5
          chickenfried
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 7160

          If it was a larger caliber I'd be more likely to lean towards anticipating recoil. But not only is this a .22, It's a big ruger with a 6 7/8" barrel and I double up on hearing protection. I've also had misfires where a flinch would be pretty noticeable.
          Originally posted by victor1echo
          Hollywood is satan!!!!
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            blkA4alb
            Moderator Emeritus
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2006
            • 3576

            Whoops, missed the .22 part .
            Please, calm down.

            Comment

            • #7
              Aluisious
              Banned
              • Nov 2006
              • 1934

              You might be holding it differently or tensing up differently compared to when you shoot fast.

              Comment

              • #8
                megavolt121
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 1561

                I'm going to have to go with anticipating recoil even though you are shooting a .22. The way I see it, if you are doing it with the 22, that means you are probably anticipating recoil from larger calibers also. Its just easier to spot with the .22

                During slow fires, it is very noticable because you give yourself time to reset.

                During rapid fire, you don't notice it as much because you aren't fully resetting between shots, therefore not really giving yourself time to anticipate the recoil.

                Comment

                • #9
                  SC-Texas
                  Junior Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 31

                  You need more practice.

                  Have you tried dryfire drills.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    chickenfried
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 7160

                    I dry fire a couple of times a week. But like I said when you pull the trigger and a round doesn't fire it's easy to catch yourself flinching. Don't catch myself flinching with the .22.
                    Originally posted by victor1echo
                    Hollywood is satan!!!!
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      blkA4alb
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 3576

                      Interesting, just blame it on the gun!

                      One thing you may try that I do is mix in already shot casings in your mag. Sometimes they don't feed however (good speed jam clearing practice!) so you could use snap caps instead.
                      Please, calm down.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        TMC
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 2348

                        Recoil induced flinching is not just in big caliber guns, all guns move and make noise and even small amounts of recoil throw people off.

                        I've shot lots of rounds through many differnt guns but before trying to shoot a good group with a gun I just picked up I like to throw one in the bern just so I know what I'm going to get.
                        where are my pistol mags?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          scorpucla
                          Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • 141

                          Instinctive shooting?

                          You might be like me, a pretty good instinctive shooter, but not real good at bullseye shooting. I'm much better when I have to draw from a holster and engage a target, than if I take my time. It also could be that your mechanics are wrong, and during rapid target acquisition, or rapid fire, you're not noticing that you're either dipping the gun or doing something else.

                          Another thing could be that you're holding too tight during slow fire, and your muscles are at their breaking point. You might try relaxing a little.

                          Hope it helps, good luck. Practice, and reassess in a month or two.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            M. Sage
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Jul 2006
                            • 19759

                            Before I realized the sights on my CZ52 were off, I experienced something similar to this.
                            Originally posted by Deadbolt
                            "We're here to take your land for your safety"

                            "My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
                            sigpicNRA Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              chickenfried
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 7160

                              I think scorpucla has a point I might be too tense. Another thing, you know how people make fun of Sergio Garcia's fidgeting before a shot? That's me futzing with my grip while I'm shooting slowly. Rapid fire I just accept the way I'm gripping the gun.

                              Appreciate all the input.
                              Originally posted by victor1echo
                              Hollywood is satan!!!!
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1