Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Am I seeing things?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    rkt88edmo
    Reptile&Samurai Moderator
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2002
    • 10062

    I love it when that happens
    If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
    Use the goog to search calguns

    Comment

    • #17
      Pvt. Cowboy
      Banned
      • Oct 2006
      • 2688

      I've noticed a phenomenon while shooting in the snow and fog at high elevation where part of the bullet path downrange can sometimes start developing a streak of contrail following the projectile like a high altitude passenger jet traveling through the stratosphere. I don't know what exact meteorological conditions cause this, but the humidity should be about 100% with very cold outside temperature -- like below freezing, at least.

      Seems to work best with very high velocity large caliber bullets. The effect doesn't last but an instant.

      Like others, I've seen .45 ACP fly downrange under the right lighting circumstances. Also, the bullet wake through a spotting scope on a distant target and the big puff of lead dust after the bullet strikes a metal gong hundreds of meters away.

      .45 ACP is much easier to see in flight when firing a Thompson SMG.

      Comment

      • #18
        lawboy
        Member
        • Oct 2008
        • 393

        You saw the bullets. I see this regularly when shooting in the afternoon at my home club. We all get a kick of it and 45acp is the one we see the most because it it big and slow. You see the sun reflecting off the base of the bullet. It is very distinctive and easy to spot when the sun angle is right.

        Comment

        • #19
          forgiven
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2008
          • 5214

          +1 on the Thompson. Pretty neat really.

          Comment

          • #20
            vta
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2009
            • 1672

            you can definitely see a slow 45 round at 7:00 from the shooter.

            With a faster round, a vapor trail is also sometimes visible as it cuts thru the air evaporating the moisture in it with the friction it creates.

            Comment

            • #21
              Pvt. Cowboy
              Banned
              • Oct 2006
              • 2688

              Originally posted by forgiven
              +1 on the Thompson. Pretty neat really.
              Under the right conditions, it's one of the things that shooters seeing a Thompson or a .45 MAC-10 fired for the first time notice. The swarms of .45 slugs zipping downrange in a flurry.

              Comment

              • #22
                olderthaniam
                Junior Member
                • Jun 2009
                • 8

                Thanks for all the responses folks. I feel lucky that I got to see this. It was a really striking indicator of the power of the firearm, more so for me than seeing the destructive effects on the target or backstop.

                There was a shooting outside our apartment a few years ago (when we lived in the Tenderloin in San Francisco), and I was surprised to hear a bullet go whizzing past our window. It sounded like an extremely angry hornet and the doppler effect was also evident. That also surprised me, though it was the first time a bullet had ever gotten closer to me after it was fired!

                Comment

                • #23
                  forgiven
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2008
                  • 5214

                  Originally posted by Pvt. Cowboy
                  Under the right conditions, it's one of the things that shooters seeing a Thompson or a .45 MAC-10 fired for the first time notice. The swarms of .45 slugs zipping downrange in a flurry.
                  The conditions were in the late afternoon shooting into a open shaded area. And it was the first time for us shooting the Thompson. I never noticed it on the .45 MAC-10. We were shooting it at mid-day. Next time I'll pay more attention.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    sprintcar
                    Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 427

                    I see this with my Vaquero in .45 Colt. You see this shooting pellet guns also.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      bohoki
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 20826

                      ive seen 45s and 22s at the late in the day sun

                      also have seen wakes of bullets in spotting scopes

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        spddrcr
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 1585

                        I was shooting with a friend at usi in concord yesterday and noticed this same thing coming from people shooting .45. it was pretty cool seeing the bullet travel downrange and hitting the paper
                        blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
                        blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
                        blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

                        "wildhawker
                        People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1