Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W 500: Shoot or Not?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • doc540
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2008
    • 1515

    S&W 500: Shoot or Not?

    At the range Sat. when a friend showed up with his truckload of handguns.

    Offered me his new S&W 500 to shoot.

    I politely declined.

    In fact, while he was shooting it I left and stood in the lobby of the indoor range until the concussion barrage stopped. For the life of me I couldn't focus on shooting my HK while that thing was getting torched off inside what's really a big, concrete hallway.

    I have no doubts I could've shot it, but with a band gig that night why take the risk of a sprain or injury?
    Shooting more, typing less
  • #2
    lunde
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 1036

    When shooting anything that is 50 caliber, whether it is 50 BMG or .500 S&W Magnum, the best place to be is behind the trigger.

    Standing on the side, even ever so slightly, means that you will feel more blast and shock.

    I thought you were debating whether to shoot a NIB revolver, but if your friend offers his to shoot, I'd say go for it.

    Comment

    • #3
      doc540
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2008
      • 1515

      Originally posted by lunde
      When shooting anything that is 50 caliber, whether it is 50 BMG or .500 S&W Magnum, the best place to be is behind the trigger.

      Standing on the side, even ever so slightly, means that you will feel more blast and shock.

      I thought you were debating whether to shoot a NIB revolver, but if your friend offers his to shoot, I'd say go for it.
      maybe next week

      Some dude at the range asked to shoot it....I swear, he came with an inch of cracking his head between the eyes when it went off.
      Shooting more, typing less

      Comment

      • #4
        jammer2k
        Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 273

        There is a balance in shooting handheld artillery

        You have to have a firm and solid hold so that it doesn't smack you in the head, but you can't over do it and try to force it from rising at all.
        Originally posted by bwiese
        Please also don't confuse small-L libertarians with the Big-L Libertarian Party. The former is a stance; the latter is generally useless (unelectable).

        Comment

        • #5
          cineski
          Calguns Addict
          • Nov 2007
          • 6205

          I have the same issue when I got to an indoor range. Sometimes people show up with a hand canon and I have to step back because it hurts my ears too much. And I wear double hearing protection @ indoor ranges, both plugs and muffs.

          Comment

          • #6
            doc540
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2008
            • 1515

            watch his wrist at 00:14
            Shooting more, typing less

            Comment

            • #7
              lazuris
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2006
              • 588

              500 is not that bad its more of a long push. the 460 hits harder IMO as its more of a quick snap. However, anything shorter than the 8.5" barrel is not fun.

              Comment

              • #8
                Greg-Dawg
                Banned
                • Oct 2006
                • 7793

                Don't be a pansy and shoot it!!!

                Comment

                • #9
                  stormy_clothing
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 2809

                  my dad has one and one of my friends whose a tiny little 110 pound computer software engineer had no problem shooting it with her tiny hands.

                  It's not really fun to shoot though

                  it's the 6 in barrel, wouldnt want to shoot it without the compensator

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    ck867
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 1235

                    it's not a big deal at all. My fiance's mom was able to shoot the 4" model no problem. I shoot it one handed a lot of the time for fun.

                    You wouldn't think this but the sw 500 is a really accurate gun at long distance compared to a lot of pistols. I can hit soda cans at 40 yards no problem and I believe some people hunt with them out at 100 yards.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      toadman
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007
                      • 966

                      It really doesn't kick that hard. With it's X frame heft & compensator it kicks less than my 6" 44 mag.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        PEBKAC
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 1026

                        Give it a shot, it can't be any worse than a very light 3" barrel .44 mag revolver sans compensator.
                        sigpic
                        Love and Peace through superior firepower.

                        Originally posted by 7x57
                        Plus, we can check out each other's hardware. Who says we can't find common ground?
                        Originally posted by hoffmang
                        Soap box, ballot box, jury box, ammo box. Use in that order.
                        Originally posted by ar15barrels
                        You need to grow a full beard and move out into the woods before you can be a full fledged member of the surplus rifle long range shooting community.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rkt88edmo
                          Reptile&Samurai Moderator
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Dec 2002
                          • 10062

                          Outdoors yes, I don't think I'd really want to shoot it indoors, and I own one.
                          If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
                          Use the goog to search calguns

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            D53
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 2248

                            next time you get a chance take a couple shots, I was given the oppertunity to shoot one (thanks to CK867) and it wasnt as bad as I was expecting. The sound on the other hand with just foam plugs in, well that was a nice wake up. I am a small guy and I was able to hadle it pretty well ( please try to ignore the whoa in the video ) oh yeah and sorry for the bad video quality

                            "Because 4 inches is big to a midget" - Dave Attell

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              doc540
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2008
                              • 1515

                              Originally posted by rkt88edmo
                              Outdoors yes, I don't think I'd really want to shoot it indoors, and I own one.
                              this
                              Shooting more, typing less

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1