Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Suggestions for a .357 revolver?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Army GI
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 4284

    Suggestions for a .357 revolver?

    My next handgun purchase will be a DA revolver in 357 magnum. This weapon will be used for hunting and range purposes only, not CCW or self defense. So I'm thinking of going with a 5 or 6" barrel. I will also be reloading hot 357 magnum loads so ultra light frames are probably not a good idea.

    I want a Colt, but I know that the King Cobra is not on the CA approved list and the Python may not be able to handle the high velocity loads I will subject it to.

    I have certainly thought of the Ruger GP100. After all this will be a workhorse gun for going into the field and heavy range use, so aesthetics should not be a concern. But they are anyways. But They are quite large and heavy. So this also makes it a good candidate to handle the heavy 357 mag loads. But I would rather try something else a little more eye pleasing first before I go to the Ruger. Something that's currently being produced would be nice.

    So does anyone have any suggestions? The only other thing I can think of is the S&W 627. My friend's dad had one that he let us shoot before, but we locked up the cylinder shooting some heavy 357 magnum loads out of it. His dad was not happy at all.
    I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
    WTB: Winchester /Miroki 1895 .30-06; No1. Mk. III SMLE .303 British; M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm; M39 Finnish Mosin 7.62x54r; S&W 625 .45 ACP; Glock 17.
  • #2
    Paradiddle
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2003
    • 1743

    S&W - I would get an older one (pre MIM, pre lock). I'm very partial to the Model 19 but that won't fit your bill of whating to shoot super hot rounds. I'd either opt for the 586/686 or an N Frame (Highway Patrolman, etc.) so you had a big framed .357.

    I'm not a fan of Ruger revolvers simply because I don't like their triggers and don't like the way they handle.

    Colts are great but hard to get and you'll pay big bucks.

    My .02

    Jeff

    Comment

    • #3
      SCMA-1
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 4292

      I'm partial to S&W as they seem to have the best trigger pulls (both single and double action) out of the box; better than Rugers in general. Stainless L-frame S&W is my favorite (681, 686), although the 627 is intriguing for it's 8 shot capacity. I generally prefer a 4-5" barrel with 357's and 6" in 44's.

      SCMA-1
      sigpic

      "Wherever I Walk,
      Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

      Wherever I Am,
      Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

      Whenever I Return Home,
      Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
      - "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey

      Comment

      • #4
        B Strong
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2009
        • 6367

        Originally posted by Army GI
        My next handgun purchase will be a DA revolver in 357 magnum. This weapon will be used for hunting and range purposes only, not CCW or self defense. So I'm thinking of going with a 5 or 6" barrel. I will also be reloading hot 357 magnum loads so ultra light frames are probably not a good idea.

        I want a Colt, but I know that the King Cobra is not on the CA approved list and the Python may not be able to handle the high velocity loads I will subject it to.

        I have certainly thought of the Ruger GP100. After all this will be a workhorse gun for going into the field and heavy range use, so aesthetics should not be a concern. But they are anyways. But They are quite large and heavy. So this also makes it a good candidate to handle the heavy 357 mag loads. But I would rather try something else a little more eye pleasing first before I go to the Ruger. Something that's currently being produced would be nice.

        So does anyone have any suggestions? The only other thing I can think of is the S&W 627. My friend's dad had one that he let us shoot before, but we locked up the cylinder shooting some heavy 357 magnum loads out of it. His dad was not happy at all.
        If you're committed to heavy loads, the only available wheelgun that will take it w/o problems is a single action - the Ruger Blackhawk to be exact.

        Smith N frames can take them, but you have to tailor the load - just don't whip up some max Keith loads and believe that you're finished w/ the job.
        The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
        ___________________________________________
        "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
        - Jeff Cooper

        Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

        Comment

        • #5
          Army GI
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • 4284

          Originally posted by Paradiddle
          S&W - I would get an older one (pre MIM, pre lock). I'm very partial to the Model 19 but that won't fit your bill of whating to shoot super hot rounds. I'd either opt for the 586/686 or an N Frame (Highway Patrolman, etc.) so you had a big framed .357.
          I actually was thinking of something like a highway patrolman, to be honest.

          I'm not a fan of Ruger revolvers simply because I don't like their triggers and don't like the way they handle.
          I agree, the Rugers don't handle very well for me. The Smiths fit me like a glove, though.

          Originally posted by SCMA-1
          I'm partial to S&W as they seem to have the best trigger pulls (both single and double action) out of the box; better than Rugers in general. Stainless L-frame S&W is my favorite (681, 686), although the 627 is intriguing for it's 8 shot capacity. I generally prefer a 4-5" barrel with 357's and 6" in 44's.

          SCMA-1
          Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the Smiths out as my next option. I certainly do remember how great the trigger was on my friend's Smith 357. I do believe it was a 627 but don't remember exactly. That thing shot one hole groups from a bench (just resting the butt of the grip on the table, no rest) from 25 yards. Very cool gun.

          Originally posted by B Strong
          If you're committed to heavy loads, the only available wheelgun that will take it w/o problems is a single action - the Ruger Blackhawk to be exact.

          Smith N frames can take them, but you have to tailor the load - just don't whip up some max Keith loads and believe that you're finished w/ the job.
          Well...let me rephrase that then. I'm not thinking of super heavy loads. I'm aiming for something with a little more pep than your regular WWB factory load. The only reason I mentioned wanting a sturdy frame was because I will be shooting them on a regular basis. Though a certain handgun can handle such loads "every once in a while" I want something that can handle repeated firings.
          Last edited by Army GI; 08-13-2009, 12:34 PM.
          I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
          WTB: Winchester /Miroki 1895 .30-06; No1. Mk. III SMLE .303 British; M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm; M39 Finnish Mosin 7.62x54r; S&W 625 .45 ACP; Glock 17.

          Comment

          • #6
            Rekrab
            Valar Dohaeris
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • May 2009
            • 5534

            Originally posted by B Strong
            If you're committed to heavy loads, the only available wheelgun that will take it w/o problems is a single action - the Ruger Blackhawk to be exact.
            An alternative would be tracking down a Redhawk in .357(There's one in the private sales for $700). It's bigger and heavier than the GP100.
            Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

            Big Ammo Sale!
            Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

            Comment

            • #7
              Z ME FLY
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2008
              • 6590

              Originally posted by Rekrab
              An alternative would be tracking down a Redhawk in .357(There's one in the private sales for $700). It's bigger and heavier than the GP100.
              I would suggest Redhawk or a Super Redhawk? But a NFrame should hold up well.
              Originally posted by 69Mach1
              The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

              Originally posted by 69Mach1
              Z gets around. lol

              Comment

              • #8
                Lancear15
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2008
                • 2629

                S&W 686 w/ 6" barrel
                Absolute power corrupts absolutely, even on Calguns.
                NRA Life Member
                USPSA Member
                IDPA Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  justin_5585
                  Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 458

                  If you can find a used king cobra, go for it! I have one with the 6" barrell, and it is so smooth and tame, even with "buffalo loads", that I can't think of anything I'd rather have. They can be had on gunbroker or gunsamerica sometimes, but usually to the tune of 1200 or so. If you can afford it, jump though!
                  Originally posted by Decoligny
                  No question, I would definitely punch you in the nads.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Big Jake
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 12509

                    You will never go wrong with a Smith&Wesson!
                    "Life Is Hard. It's Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!

                    "Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

                    "The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

                    "Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Lancear15
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • 2629

                      Forgive my ignorance, I know what pre lock is, but what is pre MIM?

                      Originally posted by Paradiddle
                      S&W - I would get an older one (pre MIM, pre lock). I'm very partial to the Model 19 but that won't fit your bill of whating to shoot super hot rounds. I'd either opt for the 586/686 or an N Frame (Highway Patrolman, etc.) so you had a big framed .357.

                      I'm not a fan of Ruger revolvers simply because I don't like their triggers and don't like the way they handle.

                      Colts are great but hard to get and you'll pay big bucks.

                      My .02

                      Jeff
                      Absolute power corrupts absolutely, even on Calguns.
                      NRA Life Member
                      USPSA Member
                      IDPA Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Miltiades
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2006
                        • 1149

                        S&W 686 with 6 inch barrel

                        I'd second the previous recommendation for a S&W 686 with 6 inch barrel.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Army GI
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • 4284

                          Thanks guys!
                          I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
                          WTB: Winchester /Miroki 1895 .30-06; No1. Mk. III SMLE .303 British; M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm; M39 Finnish Mosin 7.62x54r; S&W 625 .45 ACP; Glock 17.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Paradiddle
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • 1743

                            Originally posted by Lancear15
                            Forgive my ignorance, I know what pre lock is, but what is pre MIM?
                            MIM is Metal Injection Molding, where powdered metal is injected into a mold and then exposed to heat and pressure to form a part.

                            Many, but not all, believe and purport that the earlier machined and hardened parts are better then MIMI and that pre-MIM triggers can be made/worn smoother. There are others that say a MIM part can be made just as good. My gut is the older Smiths are just nicer - hand assembled, and typically more worn in with fantastic triggers because they've been USED.

                            I only own pre-MIM by nature of the fact that I like older Smiths so I cannot say which is better - like I said I prefer older Smiths the Model 19 being my favorite. The Model 19 is however a gun you should probably only occasionaly shoot magnum loads in and only 158 or heavier - they don't like the hyper pressures of 110 grain .357 - the L or N frame is more suited to punishing loads. I shoot mine with .38s most of the time and stoke it with 158 grain JHP for defense.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Greg-Dawg
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2006
                              • 7793

                              Just go for the GP100 or...

                              Taurus:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1