Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

replacement hammer for 2017 Colt Cobra

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rational_behavior
    Member
    • Jan 2021
    • 152

    replacement hammer for 2017 Colt Cobra

    I've been searching online for a new hammer for my 2017 Colt Cobra. Where can I find this? Also, any online tutorials for installing it. (Presumably, the new crop of revolvers from Colt are all similar).
  • #2
    L-2
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 1335

    I'd contact Colt:
    Contact Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLCPhone: +1 800-962-2658Plus 1 8 0 0 9 6 2 2 6 5 8Do Not Send Firearms Without An RMA. Serial Number Lookup Instantly retrieve vital product details, warranty information, and exclusive insights through our Serial Number Look-Up feature. LEARN MORE Customer Service Have questions? Our…


    I wouldn't know if any used hammers will work or not:
    Check out the deal on Hammer Assembly, New Style, Blued, Used Factory Original at Numrich Gun Parts

    Check out the deal on Hammer, Stripped, New Style, Blued, New Old Stock Original at Numrich Gun Parts
    (former) Glock and 1911 Armorer; LEO (now retired)

    Comment

    • #3
      dfletcher
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2006
      • 14811

      Originally posted by L-2
      I'd contact Colt:
      Contact Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLCPhone: +1 800-962-2658Plus 1 8 0 0 9 6 2 2 6 5 8Do Not Send Firearms Without An RMA. Serial Number Lookup Instantly retrieve vital product details, warranty information, and exclusive insights through our Serial Number Look-Up feature. LEARN MORE Customer Service Have questions? Our…


      I wouldn't know if any used hammers will work or not:
      Check out the deal on Hammer Assembly, New Style, Blued, Used Factory Original at Numrich Gun Parts

      https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1571740
      The listing from Numrich is a bit confusing. Says "new model" but also list Viper, Police Positive, Agent, etc. Which Colt doesn't make now. And the current Cobra uses a transfer bar, while the complete hammer assembly shows a hammer mounted firing pin.

      Likely the gun will have to go back to Colt. Am guessing Colt won't send out a replacement.
      GOA Member & SAF Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57182

        Originally posted by dfletcher
        The listing from Numrich is a bit confusing. Says "new model" but also list Viper, Police Positive, Agent, etc. Which Colt doesn't make now.
        And the current Cobra uses a transfer bar, while the complete hammer assembly shows a hammer mounted firing pin.
        When you are talking Colt Cobra at Numrich, "Old model" is 1950 to 1971 and also known as 1st model.
        "New model" is 1972 to 1981 and is also called 2nd model.
        The 2016 re-issue is known as 3rd model.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #5
          rational_behavior
          Member
          • Jan 2021
          • 152

          2016
          should I be searching for "2016 Cobra" or "2017 Cobra" ?

          Likely the gun will have to go back to Colt. Am guessing Colt won't send out a replacement.
          Noted, I was afraid of that. To be perfectly honest, based on my experience with the piece thus far, I'm leaning towards "not even worth it". I've already sent it back once, but its not under warranty anymore. Like a hot chick with a bad personality.

          Comment

          • #6
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57182

            Originally posted by rational_behavior
            should I be searching for "2016 Cobra" or "2017 Cobra" ?
            Any of the 2016 and newer cobras are the same.
            The specific year does not matter.
            What you are looking for is a 3rd gen or 3rd model part.
            With the gun being so new, there are not likely to be any parts available in the aftermarket because there will not be any guns parted out yet.
            Colt is going to be your only option for parts on such a new gun.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #7
              DaveInOroValley
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jan 2010
              • 8968

              Maybe inquire here? There are many knowledgeable people on this forum:

              A forum community dedicated to Colt firearm owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, gunsmithing, troubleshooting, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!
              NRA Life Member

              Vet since 1978

              "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

              Comment

              • #8
                ar15barrels
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2006
                • 57182

                Originally posted by rational_behavior
                I've been searching online for a new hammer for my 2017 Colt Cobra. Where can I find this? Also, any online tutorials for installing it. (Presumably, the new crop of revolvers from Colt are all similar).
                How did you come to the conclusion that you actually need a new hammer?
                Did you have the gun apart and lose the hammer in a random black hole on your workbench?
                Did you drop the gun and break the hammer spur off?
                Were you grinding/filing/stoning and over-cut something on the hammer?

                What is the actual problem that you are trying to correct by replacing the hammer?
                Randall Rausch

                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                Comment

                • #9
                  rational_behavior
                  Member
                  • Jan 2021
                  • 152

                  Originally posted by ar15barrels
                  Did you drop the gun and break the hammer spur off?
                  This is what happened, from a whopping height of 16 inches. To Colt's credit, there was no ND, so their transfer bar technology works.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    'ol shooter
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • 4646

                    Perfect time to make lemonade from lemons and bob the hammer.
                    sigpic
                    Bob B.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(")

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      hambam105
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2013
                      • 7083

                      DYI Youtbube Colt jobs always require a hammer, a big hammer, from Harbor Freight.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BigPimping
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 21487

                        I think it would be beneficial to send it back to the manufacturer. That way you know it gets done properly.
                        sigpic

                        PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                        When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                        Don't let your history be a mystery

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57182

                          Originally posted by rational_behavior
                          This is what happened, from a whopping height of 16 inches. To Colt's credit, there was no ND, so their transfer bar technology works.
                          That's a very valid reason to replace the hammer then.
                          Send the gun back to Colt.
                          You are unlikely to find another option at this point.
                          If you wait 10-20 years, maybe the parts sellers will eventually find you one from a complete gun they are stripping down.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            PogoJack
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2014
                            • 2167

                            Is a metal part breaking off like that from a short drop evidence of MIM parts?
                            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57182

                              Originally posted by PogoJack
                              Is a metal part breaking off like that from a short drop evidence of MIM parts?
                              Either MIM or simple heat-treatment was not right leaving the part too hard or it's a casting with a void.
                              Need to see the cross-section of the break to have a better idea how the part was made.
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1