Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Do we really need back up iron sights?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Oldmandan
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 2721

    Do we really need back up iron sights?

    I bought a new RIA 1911 GI to customize. I?ve cut it down to commander length and it will get a Holosun 507k for sights.

    The front of the slide has been machined off, including the front sight.

    It will be a range gun only.

    The only reason I see to put a front sight back on it, is for aesthetics.

    Really torn on whether to put a front sight back on it? but leading towards, no

    A google search doesn?t show many guns w/o a front sight, I think that is due to my my search criteria.

    What are your opinions?

    Yes, Of course we have to have a poll
    77
    Yes, it will look stupid w/o a front sight
    0%
    30
    No, not needed
    0%
    34
    Maybe, let?s see it without first, then I?ll decide
    0%
    1
    Bacon, because my opinion stinks
    0%
    12
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them" - Richard Henry Lee

    sigpic
  • #2
    billped
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 2504

    For a pure range gun, no you don't need one. However, you need to assume it is also a backup home defense gun, so yeah, ideally it should have a front sight.
    Bill

    Comment

    • #3
      FNGGlock
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2020
      • 1289

      For a range gun not needed at all, actually preferred to not have backup sights as they can clutter up the optic sight picture.
      For my G34 range/comp gun I just run an optic and removed the sights.

      Comment

      • #4
        joefrank64k
        @ the Dark End of the Bar
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2009
        • 10124

        Originally posted by FNGGlock
        For a range gun not needed at all, actually preferred to not have backup sights as they can clutter up the optic sight picture.
        For my G34 range/comp gun I just run an optic and removed the sights.
        +1 on this.

        I don?t like the co-witness thing, especially on a range-only gun. I want a clear view through the optic.

        If the optic ?fails? that day, I?ll pick up another gun from the pile I brought to the range.
        You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
        If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
        Come on...what harm??

        joefrank64k 251/251 100% iTrader?

        Comment

        • #5
          Mayor McRifle
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2013
          • 7771

          I would vote yes, but not because “it will look stupid w/o a front sight,” which is the only reason your poll allows for. I would have backup sights on the gun because red dot optics sometimes fail. And if that happens without backup sights, you’re screwed.

          And by the way, if the sh** ever hits the fan, there’s no such thing as “just a range gun.”
          Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 06-18-2023, 9:22 AM.
          Anchors Aweigh

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Barang
            CGN Contributor
            • Aug 2013
            • 13416

            for range gun - no.

            ... but i like my range gun to mimic my home defense gun.

            Comment

            • #7
              grim1U
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2007
              • 1363

              Like others have said, Range gun no, home defense/or carry, yes.

              Comment

              • #8
                stormvet
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Mar 2010
                • 12681

                According to most Hollywood movies you don’t need any sights, just blast away from the hip and you’ll never miss.
                Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                Comment

                • #9
                  plumbum
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2010
                  • 5394

                  I've never tried the electronic sights, so bacon is all I can contribute
                  Originally posted by ysr_racer
                  Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SonofWWIIDI
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 21583

                    When the batteries run out, you forgot your spares, and the range doesn’t sell/have in stock the type you need?
                    Sorry, not sorry.
                    🎺

                    Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      deckhandmike
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 8325

                      Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
                      When the batteries run out, you forgot your spares, and the range doesn?t sell/have in stock the type you need?
                      You pick up another gun? It’s a range toy. Most of us have more guns than they could physically carry. Not everything needs to be a back up HD gun. I love how optimistic you guys are about HD/end of the world. I really don’t plan on living past three guns breaking down and neither should you.
                      Last edited by deckhandmike; 06-18-2023, 4:24 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57182

                        My EAA Witness gold team does not have iron sights on it.
                        The frame is drilled/tapped for an optic mount and the optic is all that most open guns have.

                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          not-fishing
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 2270

                          I don't see a red dot I see a red constellation with many stars so Irons on all my handguns, shotguns and iron or scope on my rifles.
                          Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            IronsightsRifleman
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2020
                            • 1034

                            Optics are a luxury item - iron sights are primary.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              CessnaDriver
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 10913

                              Range gun? No.

                              If it really needs sights someday? then I guess we entered into those "interesting times" people speak of.


                              "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1