Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What makes an STI Special?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NSR500
    Banned
    • Aug 2006
    • 19530

    What makes an STI Special?

    Forgive me for being Naive; the last time I purchased a Handgun was 1997. Anyways, I've been wondering what makes the STI so desirable for Californians. Is it because we cannot get it or because it is just that damn good?
    Anybody care to enlighten me?
  • #2
    leelaw
    Junior Member
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Oct 2005
    • 10445

    You can't get them, and they're high quality, customized 1911s, some with higher capacity.

    Comment

    • #3
      NSR500
      Banned
      • Aug 2006
      • 19530

      But are they really worth the markup some Californians pay for the few that are in the State vs. buying something on the safe list from Kimber, etc... ?
      I'm just trying to understand just "How Good" these things really are because I'm at a point where I my interest in pistols is coming back.

      Comment

      • #4
        leelaw
        Junior Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 10445

        Are they worth the markup? That's a personal quesiton..

        If I had a chance to get one, I would - but I've wanted one for a long time. YMMV.

        Comment

        • #5
          CALI-gula
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2006
          • 7215

          What makes an STI Special?

          A marketing campaign.

          .
          ------------------------

          Comment

          • #6
            norbs007
            Member
            • Jun 2006
            • 492

            Just get the California legal Bar-Sto pistol. It uses an STI frame.
            Cool as a fool!

            Rudy Project Shooting Squad
            My Recent Video
            Be My Facebook Friend

            Comment

            • #7
              randy
              In Memoriam
              • Nov 2006
              • 4642

              Kimber makes really good guns. STI and SVI are just better. No MIM parts, better slide to frame fit, tighter barrel lock up, better finish Blah Blah Blah.

              If you are talking double stacks then the Kimber is junk and the STI is neck and neck at the top of the heap.

              Another Plus is SV and ST both support the shooting sports you don't see any $$$ from Kimber.

              But Kimbers are still really good guns.
              I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

              When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

              Comment

              • #8
                Wulf
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2005
                • 1311

                Pretty much all the competetive USPSA Limited class guns are STI's or SV's. If you want to be competetive in that class that's the frame you need. In a sense its like asking if the price asked for a transferable AW in this state would be worth it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Kruzr
                  In Memoriam
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 1751

                  What makes them special is STI's refusal to sell to Calfornia as their way of making a protest statement against Californians who vote legislators into office who pass draconian gun laws........or so they said when I asked them about California guns at the SHOT SHow.

                  They make a very nice gun but are number one on my boycott list since they choose to boycott us. Even though they had approved guns on the list, they still refused to sell or ship to California.

                  Here is what they said 4 years ago and haven't changed their stance even though federal law has superseded the California one:

                  We will be suspending shipments of guns to California effective December 20, 2002. This suspension will be in effect until we determine what action, if any, the Federal Government will be taking to protect manufacturers of safe and legal products, or until the resolution of the first flurry of California generated lawsuits against legitimate firearms and accessory manufacturers.


                  Another Plus is SV and ST both support the shooting sports you don't see any $$$ from Kimber.
                  Wrongo! Kimber is the number one contributer to the US National Shooting Team. It's true they don't give money to the IDPA or IPSC gun gamers where they could turn the support into marketing to those who would buy their guns. The Olympic team doesn't shoot Kimbers in international competition but Kimber still has contributed more than any other gun maker in history. Ruger and Winchester are the only other gun makers who support the US National Shooting Team with sponsorship.
                  Last edited by Kruzr; 12-20-2006, 10:12 AM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    LCAZES
                    Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • 178

                    They are pretty much the standard frame for custom builds for limited and open division USPSA competition. For various reasons for that application they are highly desirable. If you are NOT going to compete, they are probably not worth the extra $$$ since there are other widebody 1911s available for MUCH cheaper. That also leaves more for me...........

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      HeHateMe
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 551

                      I paid under 1K for a STI Trojan. Super accurate .45 with a great trigger out of the box. Only problem I had was a pin holding the rear sight onto the slide worked its way out. The slide rides the rails buttery smooth. I prefered the squarer cut front strap and slight cut under the trigger guard. Feels much better than my SAs and Kimber.
                      **********************************************
                      - Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle.
                      - WTB: Nerf N-Strike Longshot CS-6

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        uglygun
                        Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 160

                        Are STI and SVI worth the money?

                        If I could have bought 2-3 frames back before all this approval bill garbage I would have.

                        Great basis for a build up. Compare to other high capacity frames like a cast frame Para Ordinance the quality of the SVI/STI is remarkable.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Kruzr
                          In Memoriam
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 1751

                          Originally posted by uglygun
                          Are STI and SVI worth the money?

                          If I could have bought 2-3 frames back before all this approval bill garbage I would have.

                          Great basis for a build up. Compare to other high capacity frames like a cast frame Para Ordinance the quality of the SVI/STI is remarkable.
                          I'd still grab a frame if I came across one and apparently, there are some still around in the state.

                          My disgust with them came from a conversation with two of them at their booth at SHOT........which started when the first one looked at my badge and greeted me with "we can't do anything for a Californian" and it went downhill from there, I just don't want to send any money directly to them.

                          But they are THE gun for the .40 cal gun gamers.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NSR500
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 19530

                            Thanks for all the info folks! So, basically if I would compete or if I wanted "The Mercedes" of 1911 styled pistols this would be it. If I just wanted a 1911 styled pistol that I would beat on, I'd be better of with something else.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              elsolo
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 4798

                              Originally posted by NSR500
                              Thanks for all the info folks! So, basically if I would compete or if I wanted "The Mercedes" of 1911 styled pistols this would be it. If I just wanted a 1911 styled pistol that I would beat on, I'd be better of with something else.
                              Shoot 30,000+ rounds a year through your STI for several years, many of their owners do. Is that considered 'beating on' the gun ?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1