Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 mag release spring tension

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sirdutch
    Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 259

    1911 mag release spring tension

    My 1911 spring needs to be lighter. I replaced my mag release with a Wilson Combat extended release. I lost my old spring or I would switch it out to my to my new one. What is the mil spec tension on a 1911 full size pistol?
    I don't want it too light either. How many pounds of tension is ideal. The new mag release is not dragging so the spring is the issue
  • #2
    'ol shooter
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 4646

    Get out the Dremel and cut half a coil and off try it, if it's not enough take another half coil off.
    sigpic
    Bob B.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    Comment

    • #3
      Scotty
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 2054

      Wolff sells a 5 pack or reduce weight springs from original to lightest for $9 plus shipping.

      Comment

      • #4
        JTROKS
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2007
        • 13093

        Instead of cutting try heating 1 coil at a time to red hot removing temper from a coil. You’ll still have the right length of spring but less tension.
        The wise man said just find your place
        In the eye of the storm
        Seek the roses along the way
        Just beware of the thorns...
        K. Meine

        Comment

        • #5
          redhemi
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 2966

          I would go with what Scotty or JTROKS has suggested. Cutting a coil only shortens the stroke not lessens the tension. I have a bad right thumb so all my 1911s get a reduced weight spring in the mag release.

          Comment

          • #6
            snacks
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2006
            • 939

            try the number 1 or number2 wolff mag spring release. i forget which one i have in my pistols.

            too light and it easily gets bumped in the holster.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1