Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Khar PM9 bs S&W shield?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SoCal326
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 1098

    Khar PM9 bs S&W shield?

    Messed up that title didn't I? Should say, "Khar PM9 vs S&W Shield". Which one be best for edc? 9mm.
    Last edited by SoCal326; 02-13-2023, 8:55 AM.
  • #2
    rodralig
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2016
    • 4262

    Originally posted by SoCal326
    Which one be best for edc? 9mm.
    Only YOU

    WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

    Comment

    • #3
      Capybara
      CGSSA Coordinator
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2012
      • 15676

      No right answer. It all depends on you, your needs, your hands, your body/waist, etc. Go to a range that rents them or ask your friends to meet you and let you shoot the models you're interested in, if you have any gun friends who have either?

      I've carried a Shield for 8 years, recently upgraded to an off-roster Shield Plus Performance Center and added an off-roster Ruger Max 9. I like the Shield, it works well for me. It is a very thin gun so you have to do some physical things with your grip to offset that thinness that are different than the way I grip my Glock G17. The Max 9 is the same and the grip is even shorter than the Shield.

      I haven't shot the Kahr but they have their fans amongst Calgunners, I've heard they are good pistols but the Kahr is DAO whereas the Shield is SA/DA. To me, that's a significant difference in feel and operation. You can obtain 10 round magazines through mag extensions or Mag Gutz for the Shield and the PM9 so in that respect, they are the same.

      Also, if you haven's shot with sub-compacts much, you really should get some trigger time with a few before making your choice. Frankly, sub compacts are much more difficult to shoot accurately than compacts or full sized pistols. They are easier to carry, more comfortable and harder to shoot well.

      A lot of CCW holders are becoming a bit sour on sub-compacts and going or going back to a Glock G19, SIG P365XL or Hellcat Pro sized pistol because they are easier to draw and easier to hit your target with. I have to say, when I carry my Glock G17, it's big and clunky to carry but to draw and shoot, it is MUCH easier than my sub-compact pistols.

      Circling back around, buy whatever works for you best. CCW guns are about the most personal gun you can buy so you need to buy whatever appeals to you and works best for you. Because of the roster, there aren't a lot of choices but I think the Shield is the most popular carry gun in California, probably followed by the Glocks on the roster. Not very many people carry the Kahr, it's simply not as popular, but that doesn't mean a whole lot as the Kahr is well built and shoots well.
      NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        9Cal_OC
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2019
        • 6704

        Freedom isn't free...

        sigpic

        iTrader

        Comment

        • #5
          stormvet
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Mar 2010
          • 12681

          Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

          Comment

          • #6
            Title1guy
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2015
            • 1381

            The Kahr is probably a bit more pocketable if you’re going to pocket carry; but also more expensive. Rent both if you can as advised above to see which one is right for you.

            Comment

            • #7
              Oldmandan
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2012
              • 2721

              I have the Kahr, I don’t like the grip or the trigger safety of the Shield.

              Personal preference…
              "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them" - Richard Henry Lee

              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                Oldmandan
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 2721

                "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them" - Richard Henry Lee

                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  jyo
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 5320

                  Personally, I find the Kahr PM9 to have a bit small grip for my large hands---I prefer it's bigger brother, the P9 or the less expensive CW9 grip. Haven't shot a Shield yet...

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    plumbum
                    Calguns Addict
                    • May 2010
                    • 5394

                    I personally love Kahr triggers and the dot-i sights, but you should really try them first as it’s more of a DAO/revolver feel to it. The Shield is really a solid CCW choice, especially given the limited choices we are allowed.
                    Originally posted by ysr_racer
                    Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      mygeaux
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Mar 2016
                      • 116

                      I've owned a Kahr PM9 for many years. Love it. It's tiny, light, accurate, has real sights, and is reliable, 0 failures after break in and few during break in, will feed and fire anything. I have M/L fat hands. I like it better with a Pierce extension on the mags.

                      If you've ever shot a DAO revolver with an amazing trigger the PM9 trigger is like that but a little better. True, it has a long-ish reset, but it's never a surprise.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BradleyAbrams
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 3408

                        Kahr. My EDC is a CW9.

                        .
                        The "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" was not created by the 2nd Amendment; it was merely an acknowledgement of an existing, un-Alienable Right

                        UN-ALIENABLE - Defined by Webster as: incapable of being alienated, surrendered, or transferred .


                        Joseph Johnston - 4/14

                        -

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Dean
                          Member
                          • Apr 2003
                          • 209

                          You've received some very good replies already. This is kind of a Ford vs Chevy debate in a way. To many variables for us to advise you other then to say which fits your hands better or can you conceal better? I own both and carry both. The Shield is taller so the butt tends to stick out more, but that could just be my body type and where I carry it.

                          Both do require several hundred rounds to break in and both can have their triggers smoothed out a great deal with a little polishing work or by dropping in a Apex aftermarket sear. The magazine disconnect on the Shield can be disabled which is critical for any carry pistol IMHO.

                          As others have already said, go rent both and shoot them. That should reveal the answer to you as to which you should buy. Both will go bang should you ever really need them to.
                          "That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms "
                          Samuel Adams, "Phila. Independent Gazetteer", August 20, 1789

                          "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                          -George Mason

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            floogy
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 2741

                            I would say that S&W has a better track record of reliability and durability. Not to mention CS. A Kahr was my first carry gun. It's not terrible, but the Shield is a much better gun. I shot both and carried both for years. Shield.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              26.2madness
                              Member
                              • Feb 2015
                              • 230

                              I have carried the PM9, Shield and bigger Kahr K9. The PM9 is smaller than the Shield, where the K9 or P9 is about the same size as a shield. So if size is the main factor, go with the PM9, otherwise, I would look at the Shield or K9/P9. I find them all equally reliable and quality guns.

                              The biggest advantage of the Shield is that it is much more popular so accessories (holster, etc) are easier to find with greater selection. That being said, I do not carry and rarely shoot my Shield. I used to mostly carry my PM9 until I got a Sig P365 which is better than the Kahr's or Shield.

                              Reason that I do not carry the Shield and prefer Kahr:
                              1. Don't like the magazine disconnect.
                              2. Don't like having a safety switch.
                              3. Don't like the hinged trigger. I prefer the Glock style trigger safety or no trigger safety.
                              4. The Shield kinda freaks me out when I do dry fire practice. Due to the magazine disconnect, you need to have a magazine inserted when dry firing. I am extremely careful, but it never feels right having a magazine inserted during this type of practice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1