Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

G19 moon cut solution

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Riley9
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2022
    • 3

    G19 moon cut solution

    Deleted
    Last edited by Riley9; 01-02-2023, 1:47 AM. Reason: Delete
  • #2
    Corbin Dallas
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • May 2006
    • 6348

    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

    WTB the following - in San Diego
    --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
    --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

    Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

    Comment

    • #3
      Quiet
      retired Goon
      • Mar 2007
      • 30242

      The Glock 19 Gen 2, Glock 19M, and first run Glock 19Gen5 have a "moon cut" on the front of the grip to add in removing stuck magazines.


      The Glock 19 Gen 1, late run Glock 19 Gen 2, Glock 19 Gen 3, Glock 19 Gen 3 RTF2, Glock 19MB Gen 3, Glock 19Gen4, and current production Glock 19Gen5 do not have a "moon cut".

      The most common complaint about the "moon cut" was that it pinched the pinky finger when inserting a magazine into the pistol.
      ^The complaints are why it is not a common feature on the Glock 19 series of pistols and removed, early on, from the Gen5 series.
      Last edited by Quiet; 12-21-2022, 7:30 PM.
      sigpic

      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

      Comment

      • #4
        9Cal_OC
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2019
        • 6703

        Originally posted by Quiet
        The Glock 19 Gen 1, Glock 19 Gen 2, Glock 19 Gen 3, Glock 19 Gen 3 RTF2, Glock 19MB Gen 3, Glock 19Gen4, and current production Glock 19Gen5 do not have a "moon cut".

        The most common complaint about the "moon cut" was that it pinched the pinky finger when inserting a magazine into the pistol.
        ^The complaints are why it is not a common feature on the Glock 19 series of pistols and removed, early on, from the Gen5 series.
        I have a 19.2 that has a moon cut.

        Perhaps modifying a flared magwell and sanding it down?
        Freedom isn't free...

        sigpic

        iTrader

        Comment

        • #5
          Quiet
          retired Goon
          • Mar 2007
          • 30242

          Originally posted by 9Cal_OC
          I have a 19.2 that has a moon cut.
          My mistake, it looks like it was common on the Gen 2.
          The last run of Gen 2 no longer have it.
          sigpic

          "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

          Comment

          • #6
            Quiet
            retired Goon
            • Mar 2007
            • 30242

            Have you tried to modify your magazines by replacing the factory base plate with a Pearce Grips: Glock grip enhancement base plate (PG-FML)?
            The magazine base plate covers/fills in the moon cut.
            sigpic

            "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

            Comment

            • #7
              Corbin Dallas
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • May 2006
              • 6348

              NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

              WTB the following - in San Diego
              --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
              --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

              Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

              Comment

              • #8
                stormvet
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Mar 2010
                • 12681

                I never had any pinching problems with mine, but found the moon cut to have sharp edges. Very noticeable on a high round count training day, I just took a little sand paper to it and smoothed out the edges. Solved the problem for me, don’t even notice the moon cut anymore.
                Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                Comment

                • #9
                  hermosabeach
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 19828

                  Op
                  What is the problem?

                  If you are pinching your hand, there is a better technique when inserting mags

                  Once mag is partially inserted, open your hand - flatten it out - no skin to get stuck

                  Works on all semi autos
                  Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

                  Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

                  Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

                  Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
                  (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    code_blue
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • 3461


                    Battlecock Tactical will do whatever you want him to. Peter is one of the best in the game and does it all by hand. He's done a few "unusual" projects for me. You can reach out to him through social media for faster responses also.

                    Classifieds:

                    Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      1911su16b870
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 7654

                      "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

                      NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
                      GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
                      Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
                      I instruct it if you shoot it.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Prospector1
                        Junior Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 60

                        Ranger band to the rescue. Cheap, easy fix. Guaranteed to work.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          AFTII
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • 1617

                          If you've been doing it for decades, you've been doing it with a Gen 2. The Gen 2 19 is fine. I too have been shooting one for decades. The Gen 5 19 with the cutout is a torture device.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TomReloaded
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • 1637

                            I've shot so many tens of thousands of rounds and have never had to strip a stuck mag out of a Glock. That doesn't seem practical or useful in any way.

                            I'd probably epoxy and blend it. Or even do it janky and tape over it if you want to see how it feels without a permanent modification.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              stormvet
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Mar 2010
                              • 12681

                              Put 240 rounds through mine this morning, no issue didn’t even notice the cut out. Seriously just sanding down the sharp edge makes a world of difference.
                              Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1