Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 kits?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Satex
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Feb 2006
    • 3501

    1911 kits?

    Being that I really enjoyed building my OLL and enjoy working on hardware in general, are there any good CA approved 1911 kits, receivers and so on?
    Are there issues with putting one together - i.e. needing tools other than standard hand tools?
  • #2
    brando
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 3694

    Prepare to be frustrated.
    --Brando

    Comment

    • #3
      xenophobe
      In Memoriam
      • Jan 2006
      • 7069

      Umm... CA approved handgun kit? No such thing.

      Comment

      • #4
        Satex
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2006
        • 3501

        So my only option would be to buy a bare received of an approved 1911 pistol and build it up myself?

        Comment

        • #5
          rorschach
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • 4405

          I think you would have to buy the complete pistol.
          L.A. County
          Mailed to LASD Hall of Justice: 6/27/2022 received:6/28
          Check cashed: 8/22/2022
          Livescan: 4/22/2023 DOJ 4/22 FBI 4/23 Firearms 4/26
          Call for interview: 5/24/2023 Interview: 5/31/2023
          PTT: 8/21/23 Training submitted 8/27/23
          Call for pickup 10/12/23 Pickup: 11/8/23

          Comment

          • #6
            Josh
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2005
            • 1058

            building a 1911 is far more involved than putting together an OLL.

            You would need to buy a complete pistol and start from there.

            I plan on doing this with a SA milspec.

            Comment

            • #7
              kmca
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2005
              • 2371

              Or..you can do a PPT if you can find someone willing to part with a frame.

              Comment

              • #8
                brando
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2006
                • 3694

                That's where the CA DOJ Approved List totally screwed us pistolsmiths over. In the past you could call Caspian and get customized frames sent to your FFL then mail order all of the other parts, modify, fit and clean-up, building yourself a nice 1911. No so anymore.
                --Brando

                Comment

                • #9
                  gotgunz
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 1972

                  Buy a Rock Island and hot rod it from there. How can you go wrong for $350 - $400 for a brand new pistol

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Res
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2006
                    • 1633

                    Originally posted by xenophobe
                    Umm... CA approved handgun kit? No such thing.
                    LoL
                    --------------------------------------------
                    Dusty Miller
                    Sacramento

                    Matthew Jackson Miller: 8-6-07 to 10-15-07
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      randy
                      In Memoriam
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 4642

                      Putting together an ar is nothing. Building a accurate and reliable 1911 takes know how and tools. Staking the plunger, the front site, even the grip screws. If you have a dove tail front site not all cuts are the same so you might order a front site that won't fit. Barrel lock up, link pins, trigger adjustment, slide to frame fit.

                      Good luck
                      I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                      When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        brando
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2006
                        • 3694

                        Yes, much more handcrafting involved in making a 1911 top-notch and a lot more than basic operator maintanance to keep it going. ARs are pretty straight forward, but it does take years of experienced and some gunsmithing know-how to get every last drop of accuracy and reliability out of one.
                        --Brando

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          icormba
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 1826

                          hey, ain't that one of them "sawed off shotguns" ?

                          Originally posted by Res
                          LoL
                          Chris
                          http://www.m1garand.net

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cho034442
                            Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 210

                            Back when I was living at a different state. I have put together a few AR kits and also "one" 1911 .45 using a para-ord. frame. The ARs are fine, but the 1911 .45 would not chamber the round correctly. I did not know what I was getting into and sold the pistol it the way it is.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Satex
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 3501

                              Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1