Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Mailing pistol magazines legality question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 556

    Mailing pistol magazines legality question

    I visited a friend of mine in the bay area. Before I left I i didnt double check my packing and forgot a couple standard capacity(15rd) magazines for my glock pistol, with my cleaning stuff and my peltor hearing pro. at his house.

    I wanted to have him just mail me everything and save me a trip since it's 8hrs one way. But he is worried about the legality of mailing the pistol magazines.

    Is this a problem?
  • #2
    edgerly779
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Aug 2009
    • 19871

    Send him prepaid usps flat rate label with no return address and shut up about it. cost 7 bucks

    Comment

    • #3
      newbie1234
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2016
      • 3130

      Originally posted by edgerly779
      Send him prepaid usps flat rate label with no return address and shut up about it. cost 7 bucks
      This ^^^^^^^^^

      Comment

      • #4
        Revolver Ocelot
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 556

        Thanks guys.

        Comment

        • #5
          edgerly779
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Aug 2009
          • 19871

          I know someone who did that with primers. Went thru fine wrapped in foil surrounded by hundred cast lead bullets.

          Comment

          • #6
            Tarmy
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2016
            • 4373

            Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...

            Comment

            • #7
              TKM
              Onward through the fog!
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2002
              • 10657

              Every letter and parcel in the USPS system is scanned.

              Mailboxes are here and there...... look for the little bird.
              It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

              Comment

              • #8
                L-2
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2007
                • 1335

                Drive back up from San Clemente to the SFBayArea; get the stuff; drive back.
                (former) Glock and 1911 Armorer; LEO (now retired)

                Comment

                • #9
                  kenl
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2012
                  • 1723

                  I wonder, does usps follow kalifornia law or federal law? I don't think you're breaking a fed law when mailing magazines. I also bet the post office doesn't have the staffing or ability to determine if it's a standard or a 10 round mag from a scan.
                  sigpic

                  California, the once-great first world state that is now a corrupt third world socialist cesspool.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Snoopy47
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 3892

                    nevermind............ he'll figure it out.
                    Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      9Cal_OC
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Apr 2019
                      • 6703

                      Looks like OP might just drive to the Bay Area to retrieve his property.
                      Freedom isn't free...

                      sigpic

                      iTrader

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Oceanbob
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 12720

                        No problem using priority mail.
                        May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                        Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                        Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          RickD427
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Jan 2007
                          • 9276

                          Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot
                          I visited a friend of mine in the bay area. Before I left I i didnt double check my packing and forgot a couple standard capacity(15rd) magazines for my glock pistol, with my cleaning stuff and my peltor hearing pro. at his house.

                          I wanted to have him just mail me everything and save me a trip since it's 8hrs one way. But he is worried about the legality of mailing the pistol magazines.

                          Is this a problem?
                          IANAL, so no legal advice here, but I gotta ask if you checked out Penal Code section 32310 for the answer to your question?

                          I don't see a violation if he mails the magazines from his location in the Bay Area.

                          Please note that PC 32310 does not use the "transfer" language that is common to statutes involving firearms.

                          There would be a felony violation if things were done in reverse, where someone outside of California mailed the magazines to you inside of California. Please note that importation clause of section 32310 remains unaffected by the federal court order enjoining enforcement of some other provisions of 32310.
                          If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Revolver Ocelot
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2010
                            • 556

                            Originally posted by RickD427
                            IANAL, so no legal advice here, but I gotta ask if you checked out Penal Code section 32310 for the answer to your question?

                            I don't see a violation if he mails the magazines from his location in the Bay Area.

                            Please note that PC 32310 does not use the "transfer" language that is common to statutes involving firearms.

                            There would be a felony violation if things were done in reverse, where someone outside of California mailed the magazines to you inside of California. Please note that importation clause of section 32310 remains unaffected by the federal court order enjoining enforcement of some other provisions of 32310.
                            I did. I didn't see a problem either. But he is literally scared ****less to do so. So I've been trying to gather more info to ease his mind.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Mayor McRifle
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Dec 2013
                              • 7771

                              Originally posted by Revolver Ocelot
                              I visited a friend of mine in the bay area. Before I left I i didnt double check my packing and forgot a couple standard capacity(15rd) magazines for my glock pistol, with my cleaning stuff and my peltor hearing pro. at his house.

                              I wanted to have him just mail me everything and save me a trip since it's 8hrs one way. But he is worried about the legality of mailing the pistol magazines.

                              Is this a problem?
                              Why would there be a problem? They’re YOUR legally-owned magazines; he’s just returning them to you. Just tell him not to fill them with cocaine or any other illegal substances.
                              Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 07-12-2022, 6:07 AM.
                              Anchors Aweigh

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1