Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Process of getting a handgun in CA

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • avdrummerboy
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 95

    Process of getting a handgun in CA

    Hey all,
    I was wondering just what I will need to do when I turn 21 to buy a handgun, what is the actual process going to be?

    I know what kind of gun I want (Glock 17) I was just wondering how much of a pain it is in the great state of CA to buy one. I know I need the HSC which I have looked at and if you don't pass it is simply sad. But what else am I going to need and what other hoops if you will are there going to be to jump through?

    To say now, my parents are not anti-gun but they are basically indifferent to them so having them buy one and transfer it is pretty much out of the question.

    Thanks in advance
    http://paulkrwe.blogspot.com/



    On killing in self defense: I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

    I would also rather my friends and family come visit me in prison than come to visit my grave.
  • #2
    paul0660
    In Memoriam
    • Jul 2007
    • 15669

    I am pretty sure you just have to go to Macy's and tell them you need some Tupperware.
    *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

    Comment

    • #3
      LesGrossman41510
      Banned
      • Jun 2009
      • 1404

      When i bought my first gun it was a hassle, especially handguns. My friends went and bought shotguns with no problem. But with my handgun i had to submit and resubmit my paperwork twice to DOJ. First, my ID had my parents address on it. Because i was a college student and didnt live at home anymore, it was hard to verify my address. They need 3 power or cable bills, but internet doesnt count. Really weird rules in my opinion. I ended up having to get my dad to sign off a housing lease form that stated i still lived at my parents house. So my glock is registered at my parents houses even though i dont even live there anymore.

      its a pain in the *** basically, make sure to save any kind of bills that have your name and an address that matches your photo ID.

      Comment

      • #4
        RolinThundr
        Senior Member
        • May 2009
        • 1228

        You'll need your HSC, Driver's License or CA ID (make sure your address is current), and a vehicle registration or utility bill in your name (bill must show you were at your address for at least 30 days prior to date of purchase) that shows your current address. Check with a local FFL as to which utility bills are acceptable.
        "The Gun is Civilization", Written By Marko Kloos

        "The more corrupt the state, the more laws." -Tacitus, Publius Cornelius

        "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."

        Comment

        • #5
          MallNinja
          Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 221

          Cellphone bills don't really hack it. Vehicle registration seems to work smoothly for me. Oh and when you fill out the DROS paperwork, spell out everything completely, even "Street" and "California".

          Comment

          • #6
            FieldsofFire
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 1879

            As you mentioned, HSC card, your California driver's license (do NOT forget either) and you are good to go. I had to bring in a utility bill (Comcast, PG&E, etc...any will work) that was current to under 30 days because the address on my DL is not current. The updated address on the utility bill takes care of that no problem.

            Other than that, if you don't have a safe or lock, be prepared to pay $10 for one of their generic locks. I've found different FFL's to have different policies on safes and locks that you supply in terms of showing receipts for purchase, etc.

            Comment

            • #7
              seth12
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 80

              go and buy a $5 gun lock at walmart before u pick up the gun. they made copies of my reciept and kept it on file at the gun shop. otherwise you'll have to buy one of thiers. u can always return it if you want later.
              the last guy who did my dros said if you have any late dmv fees or unpaid tickets that will hold the background check. not sure if its true or not....was at big5

              Comment

              • #8
                Greg-Dawg
                Banned
                • Oct 2006
                • 7793

                Originally posted by avdrummerboy
                ...But what else am I going to need and what other hoops if you will are there going to be to jump through?...
                Basic handgun knowledge.

                Comment

                • #9
                  edgekidxxx
                  Junior Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 62

                  Most places will walk you through what you need if you go in, in advance and inquire. But the basics help such as a drivers license and things of that sort.
                  "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to death your right to say it" - Voltaire

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Blackhawk556
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4202

                    take the hsc test, demonstrate that you can load/unload the handgun, and provide proof of residency like every else has said.

                    when i bought my first handgun about 2 months ago I provided my car registration has proof of residency. It was expired so the guy at the store said I would have to bring in the new one or they will not release the gun to me until I provided a current registration, it was no problem i needed new tags anyways ..

                    honestly I don't know why people say it's a big hassle. To me it wasn't a hassle I think some people just get annoyed really quick.
                    sigpic PM 4 Front Sight diamond
                    "If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Scratch705
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • May 2009
                      • 12537

                      CC bills work correct? because my car is not registered to me....
                      Originally posted by leelaw
                      Because -ohmigosh- they can add their opinions, too?
                      Originally posted by SoCalSig1911
                      Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
                      Originally posted by PrepperGunShop
                      Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CSDGuy
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 3763

                        Credit card bills won't work. If you have a fixed utility (like a gas, electric, or landline phone) or some kind of rental/lease agreement establishing you as a resident in California... at the address you're actually at... A fixed utility bill shows the address of the place where service is provided... and may have a separate billing/mailing address.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Enter_the_Dragon
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 1356

                          I would like to add that you will be answer questions i.e. Criminal record, US Citizen, mental problems, etc. DOJ will do a background check and if all is good..10 days you'll pick up your handgun. Go to Turners.com and download there PDF for the HSC Handgun Safety Course. Be safe and use common sense when handling a firearm. Your Glock 17 is a good choice for a 9mm, if you get a chance to hold the new G17 RTF you will eliminate getting a grip. It's currently in the Gun Roster as an approved firearm. Good luck.
                          Last edited by Enter_the_Dragon; 07-10-2009, 6:18 AM.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MiguelS
                            Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 486

                            1. Take the HSC Test : $25
                            2. Add your name to some utility bill. Water, Gas, Electric, Phone(landline), DSL.
                            3. Save up $500 + tax +$25 (DROS) + FFL Fee if required + Shipping if required
                            4. Walk in and tell them, that you are new to firearms.
                            5. Ask for a demonstration of the handgun and tear down of it as well.
                            6. Fill out paperwork, show ID and 2nd form of residency, give thumb print, sign.
                            7. Pay the person
                            8a. Wait Day 1, look for ammo.
                            8b. Wait Day 2, look for ammo.
                            8c. Wait Day 3, look for ammo.
                            8d. Wait Day 4, look for ammo.
                            8e. Wait Day 5, look for ammo.
                            8f. Wait Day 6, look for ammo.
                            8g. Wait Day 7, look for ammo.
                            8.h Wait Day 8, look for ammo.
                            8i. Wait Day 9, look for ammo.
                            8j. Wait Day 10, look for ammo.
                            9. Go back to store exactly 240 hrs and 1 second from time of sale.
                            10. Demonstrate that you will not shot yourself.
                            11. Leave with a big grin.
                            12. Go to the range.

                            The process is simple, unless you are criminal or are off the grid.
                            Sig P220-BSS .45ACP, Sig P226-BSS .40cal(refinished), Sig P6 9mm (refinished)

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              locosway
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 11346

                              I just ordered my handgun and I don't have proof of residency. I just moved from Oregon to California and now we're staying with family. My name is not on ANY bills and my cars are registered in OR. Is there an affidavit or something that can be signed?

                              When I got my drivers license I had to show proof of residency. Is this not good enough by itself?
                              OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
                              NRA Certified Instructor
                              CA DOJ Certified Instructor
                              Glock Certified Armorer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1