Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Making sure a new shooter has fun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • krby
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Jan 2006
    • 240

    Making sure a new shooter has fun?

    reading:


    It got me thinking about how I would go about getting fun reactive targets at 7-10 yards for a new pistol shooter. Where can I do this in CA? Specifically in or near the Bay Area.

    Do I need to find a friend with some land?
    Last edited by krby; 12-07-2006, 10:36 AM.
  • #2
    maxicon
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 4661

    Best bet in San Jose area is the Skyline range, which has a tin can range.
    A Safe Place to Shoot Since 1953—Now Easier to Access Than Ever


    They only allow metal and plastic cans and water, but this is a great way to get some local reactive shooting. We save up water bottles, milk jugs, and cans, fill them up with water, and haul them up there. Be sure to bring some heavy cans, as well as soda cans, since the heavier metal reacts more when hit.

    They also have a self-serve trap range at the end of the road, which can also be a great experience for new shooters if you have a shotgun that won't beat them up. It's good because you're going at your own rate, and there aren't people waiting and making them nervous.

    max
    sigpic
    NRA Life Member

    Comment

    • #3
      krby
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Jan 2006
      • 240

      I've been to Los Alto Range. 40 yards is a bit far for a new pistol shooter, though.

      Comment

      • #4
        Aluisious
        Banned
        • Nov 2006
        • 1934

        Originally posted by kbyrd
        I've been to Los Alto Range. 40 yards is a bit far for a new pistol shooter, though.
        Agree, 40 yards on a soda can is not an easy pistol shot.

        Comment

        • #5
          Aluisious
          Banned
          • Nov 2006
          • 1934

          Originally posted by maxicon
          Best bet in San Jose area is the Skyline range, which has a tin can range.
          A Safe Place to Shoot Since 1953—Now Easier to Access Than Ever


          They only allow metal and plastic cans and water, but this is a great way to get some local reactive shooting. We save up water bottles, milk jugs, and cans, fill them up with water, and haul them up there. Be sure to bring some heavy cans, as well as soda cans, since the heavier metal reacts more when hit.

          They also have a self-serve trap range at the end of the road, which can also be a great experience for new shooters if you have a shotgun that won't beat them up. It's good because you're going at your own rate, and there aren't people waiting and making them nervous.

          max
          Do you have to fill soda cans with water? Will they fly around too much if they are empty?

          I drink a target a day...errr...soda. Maybe I should save em up.

          Comment

          • #6
            rayra
            Banned
            • Mar 2006
            • 1747

            Nope, it's not that they need the water to weigh them down, it's that unless you strike the ground just below them, the bullet just basically rips right through and you get no 'reaction' from your intended reactive target. it just sits there, newbs can't tell they hit it. Water splashes dramatically.

            My personal choice for fun reactive targets on public lands / where allowed is a cheap bag of naval oranges or granny smith apples. Smallish, takes a bit of concentration which increases the reward. Round, so they roll around a bit on near misses. EDIT - they are brightly colored / easy to spot. And when you hit them they are VERY 'reactive'.
            And zero cleanup or waste. Leave the fruit salad for the critters.
            Last edited by rayra; 12-07-2006, 5:59 PM.

            Comment

            • #7
              Altahick
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2006
              • 2170

              the other day i saw a guy shooting what i think was a box of powdered chalk maby? u know like the kind u would use to mark lines in the dirt to mark where to dig footings for a new house or something. when he shot it the powder poofed, and almost looked like a small explosion. i have to say it looked very neat, and would be very fun for a new (or old) shooter to shoot. that one box lasted for alot of rounds too, not just a one shot deal. it wasent tannerite or anything just some kind of powder but looked prety fun.
              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

              " Americans have the right and advantages of being armed, unlike the citizens of other countries who's governments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison

              Comment

              • #8
                krby
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • Jan 2006
                • 240

                Originally posted by Powersauce
                Does the new shooter only want to shoot pistols? Rifles are pretty fun on the tin can range.

                Whatever you decide, hope your new shooter or shooters have fun... and be safe.
                There really isn't "a" new shooter (besides my wife), I do this every few months, introduce someone new to shooting. I'm not a rifle guy, don't own any and I'm not familiar with them, so pistols are the tools I use to introduce people

                Comment

                • #9
                  Powersauce
                  Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 190

                  Originally posted by kbyrd
                  It got me thinking about how I would go about getting fun reactive targets at 7-10 yards for a new pistol shooter. Where can I do this in CA? Specifically in or near the Bay Area.
                  Good question..I've had a taste of the good life being able to shoot in Arizona and Nevada...rapid fire and being able to shoot things from water bottles to washing machines... I agree with maxicon the LARG 40yd tin can range would be the closest to it...and to also try the manual traps.

                  Originally posted by kbyrd
                  Do I need to find a friend with some land?
                  If this is legal here in the southbay area I'd like to know too...does anyone know the legalities of shooting on private land? I'm pretty sure that just cause my backyard is big doesn't mean I can set up some targets and shoot.

                  Originally posted by kbyrd
                  I've been to Los Alto Range. 40 yards is a bit far for a new pistol shooter, though.
                  Does the new shooter only want to shoot pistols? Rifles are pretty fun on the tin can range.

                  Whatever you decide, hope your new shooter or shooters have fun... and be safe.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    robairto
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 772

                    Treat it like it's a big deal

                    I like to use targets that interest the folks then try to fund a place that is unassuming. You don't want them to feel pressured to perform. RB
                    "I'm no school boy, I know what I like "
                    SACTO area

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      high_revs
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 7877

                      i'd like to try Los Gatos too. But after the first shot, won't water leak from the plastic bottle/can? or are you looking at first shot validation only? that'll be a lot of cans/bottles just with water!

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        krby
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 240

                        This has sort of gotten off track...

                        I'm looking for places I can use fun/reactive targets (whatever those might be, I'll come up with something) at about 7 yards. The 40yd. tin can range at Los Altos in interesting but I really make a new pistol shooter try that distance.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1