Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Thoughts on a Beretta 96?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DudeFromTheWest
    Member
    • Apr 2018
    • 158

    Thoughts on a Beretta 96?

    They do pop up every now and again, on Buds and sometimes WBT. Does anyone here have experience with the 96 (in .40)? How does it compare with a 92 INOX other than caliber? If I want something just a little different?
    Just a nomad who likes his Glocks and CZ's.
  • #2
    mej16489
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2008
    • 2714

    I've had one since about 1994 or so. Switched out the safety/decocker to a 'g model' decocker only a couple years ago.

    I don't shoot it much anymore, but it still shoots as good as the day it was new - with at least 10k rounds though it - probably more.

    It shoots just like any other .40 in the same frame as a 9mm brother/sister. Slightly snappier... But not nearly the difference as when comparing polymer frames.

    Comment

    • #3
      jeffyhog
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 2759

      I've had a 96 Brigadier Inox for probably close to 20 years. I haven't shot it much in the last few years but it used to be my favorite pistol to shoot and one that I shot the best. I think the 92/96 is a great platform. Seems to be a lot of people here that poo-poo Berettas and .40 calibers, but I like them. I've since picked up a standard 92fs and a 92 Brigadier and they're all solid shooters.

      Comment

      • #4
        IVC
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2010
        • 17640

        There isn't any real difference beyond caliber. It's essentially a .40 S&W Beretta 92 (maybe slightly different dimensions, haven't checked). If you like the platform and want to shoot .40, get the 96.

        As for .40, there has been a huge love affair when everyone and their uncle was going to .40, then there was this nasty breakup when one side said "you're not what you promised you'd be and I don't want to pay your bills" so they went back to 9mm. In reality, if ammo was growing on trees, I'd be shooting any caliber that was ripe and plentiful as I'm going to the range. Since we have an ammo shortage, and especially with the silly CA ammo background check in effect, getting 9mm is just much more practical.

        So, I'd say stick to the 9mm unless you reload and unless you have buckets of .40 brass. Side note: I reload and I shoot .40 in USPSA Limited quite a bit, but brass is a problem these days. I scavenge what others leave at the range and I have to go by what I mostly pick up. Beggars can't be choosers. These days, I have buckets of 9mm brass and scarcely some .40, so I end up buying .40 range brass from time to time. Never had to buy any 9mm, I'm up to my gills in it.
        sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

        Comment

        • #5
          recpark99
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2012
          • 964

          I just picked one up in the marketplace, took it to the range on Friday. Very little noticable recoil over the 92. I like it and plan on doing some minor upgrades to it. My reason for getting it was that I recently traded my M9-A1 since I have other 9mm's that I prefer, but was looking for something in 40 and definitely don't want my safe without a Beretta in it! I'd say go for it, good luck!

          Comment

          • #6
            SandHill
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2012
            • 2210

            I've had a 96 for a few years and love it. one of my favorites. Basically, I feel that calibers should match up with the platform you are shooing it from, and vice versa. Heavier calibers in bigger guns, and lighter calibers for smaller guns. Viewed from that perspective, the 92 is just way more gun than you need for 9mm. I really can't feel the difference between 9mm and .40 from the Beretta. No worries about "snappy" 40.

            I think it's a great platform and very easy to shoot in either 9mm or .40.
            Pooty Poot, you sure screwed the pooch this time! - Ghost of Roza Shanina, WWII Soviet Sniper

            Comment

            • #7
              Romeo_alpha01
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2017
              • 2030

              I have the 92 and 96 uppers for my M9A1. Shoots perfectly fine in either caliber. WAL currently is converting it to a frame safety SAO.

              Comment

              • #8
                peregrine1220
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2013
                • 92

                I had one before. Sold it to a friend that couldn’t shoot it for ****. It had a pretty good pop to it. My 92 shot better and is more manageable.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Mr. Beretta
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 6614

                  Great solid gun.

                  Just not in my favorite caliber.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Ruber
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2012
                    • 544

                    Thoughts on a Beretta 96?

                    I like the 96, they shoot well for me and are more enjoyable to me than something like a 75b in .40 with its narrow tang/backstrap. If you like using the 92, the 96 should be a easy way to get a .40 in that platform.

                    I have an older straight dustcover 96 INOX and an older 96 Vertec that both show their wear and only get shot with light loads & buffers.

                    My newer 96's seem to be holding up well, but I make sure they are properly lubed with something that won't dry out. Look up some Langdon videos on lubrication. I do agree that this platform in 40 requires more maintenance and attention to lube than in 9. I do also think my PX4's in .40 hold up better than the 96 if you are just looking for a cheap Beretta in 40. They definitely require less upkeep than the 96's.


                    Both of these see regular range time (I shoot the Inox 96, my son uses the black one with a g-conversion):


                    Last edited by Ruber; 08-23-2023, 11:25 AM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      OCEquestrian
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jun 2017
                      • 6905

                      IMHO, with modern bullet design, .40 S&W doesn't do anything better than 9mm or .45 ACP and it's harder to find.
                      "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

                      Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

                      NRA life member
                      SAF life member
                      CRPA member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Garbcollector
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 2453

                        I have a 96a-1 it doesn't have many rounds though it but it's been reliable so far

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          gumby
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 2329

                          I have the 96 Elite ll, it has the brigadier slide, great gun!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            TrailerparkTrash
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4249

                            Originally posted by OCEquestrian
                            IMHO, with modern bullet design, .40 S&W doesn't do anything better than 9mm or .45 ACP and it's harder to find.
                            ^^^ This.

                            Additionally… the 96 holds a mere 11+1. The 92’s now have the optional FACTORY 17 round magazines….. of course not in Cali.
                            sigpic

                            It`s funny to me to see how angry an atheist is over a God they don`t believe in.` -Jack Hibbs

                            -ΙΧΘΥΣ <><

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              mej16489
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2008
                              • 2714

                              I don't know about today, but back in the 90s there were no differences between 9 and 40 mags (not even a follower change)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1