Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Smith & Wesson 629 Performance Center Competitor - Worth It?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • plinker202020
    Senior Member
    • May 2020
    • 810

    Smith & Wesson 629 Performance Center Competitor - Worth It?

    I’ve been thinking about picking up one of these but $1,600ish with tax is steep.

    Anyone have experience and an educated opinion?
    Last edited by plinker202020; 08-16-2021, 7:46 PM.
    sigpic
  • #2
    jon94520
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2016
    • 762

    I have 2 627’s (2 5/8” and 5” barrel) both are great.
    I would shop around some…$1,600 OTD seems steep
    BUY AMERICAN

    Comment

    • #3
      plinker202020
      Senior Member
      • May 2020
      • 810

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        DrewN
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2012
        • 1887

        .44s are fun, but unless you reload, .44 Special costs darn near what Magnum costs. I load wadcutters in Special length cases for .357,.41 and .44. Which is the only reason my .44 gets shot at all I'd wager.

        Comment

        • #5
          Robert1234
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2006
          • 3080

          Originally posted by jessegpresley
          Join your local USPSA/IDPA club, shoot some competitions with the guns you already own. Take some defensive or competition classes. There's so much fun stuff to do with the guns you already have.

          So many guys buy these 44 Mags and they just collect dust. Which is why you see a 44 Mag in every consignment case in every gun store.
          This advice will do nothing to help him decide if this is the best .44 magnum revolver to get.

          Comment

          • #6
            Robert1234
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2006
            • 3080

            Looks cool, if you want a gun with a big boom, get it.

            Or wait for the Colt Anaconda to get on the roster and get one of those for about the same price.

            Or just get a 629DX for a lot less. I had one, it was fun to shoot, I traded it for something I wanted (can't remember what, it was a bunch of years ago).

            Or get a Ruger Super Redhawk, or whatever they're calling their DA .44 magnum revolver these days.

            You have a lot of options, and only you can determine which is right for you.

            The one you're asking about appears to have weights under the barrel, which make it good for shooting, not so good for carrying. But who's carrying a .44 magnum anyway?

            Comment

            • #7
              Elgatodeacero
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2015
              • 1297

              I would look for a pre-lock, pre-MIM 629 and send it off to Smith and Wesson for an action job and custom barrel.

              They do great work for reasonable prices.

              Comment

              • #8
                NoHeavyHitter
                Banned
                • Jul 2011
                • 2876

                Do you reload? Is so, then yeah - custom .44mags become far more versatile. The ones that spend lots of time in the safe belong to people that aren't reloading (or planning to) for the caliber. .44mag is a fun and easy caliber to reload for even beginners and obtain good results.

                Comment

                • #9
                  newbie1234
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2016
                  • 3130

                  - I did not shoot 44 SPL/MAG until I reload.
                  - DA trigger on revolver sort of heavy for me, so I shoot SA mostly on revolver, the Blackhawk (lower price) perfect for me.
                  Last edited by newbie1234; 08-17-2021, 5:22 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    c good
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 2714

                    .44 Mag is a hoot to shoot! That being said, I'm good for one or two cylinders, then it's back to .44 spl for me. I'm 62 now and have some arthritis in my strong side wrist so I avoid anything high recoil. Pachmayers or Hogues definitely help..... But...if you're young, and your wrists are good. Go for it! The 629 is awesome! Someone mentioned the Colt Anaconda! If it was in the same price range I'd wait for it to get approved and go for the Anaconda!

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Robert1234
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 3080

                      Originally posted by jessegpresley
                      Yes it does, it advises him not to buy one and gave him alternatives for having fun with guns.

                      I'd give similar advice if a friend was looking to buy a boat.
                      It doesn't look like he wants to be talked out if it, just wants to know if there's a better option.

                      I like shooting USPSA as much as anyone, but I try to answer the question asked vs. recommending something not even alluded to in the post.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        DrewN
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 1887

                        I'm sure they are nice shooters. The weighted barrel should definitely be nice as well. I'd get the X frame grip immediately. But,as with all big bores, I'm guessing you might be able to find a low round count example pretty easily. I just got a .41 from a guy who actually shoots his guns and it still looks basically new and it was made in 1977. Even a .44 that's been shot "a lot" is under 500 rounds 99.999% of the time and under 150 rounds at least 80% of the time.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Robert1234
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2006
                          • 3080

                          Originally posted by jessegpresley
                          It's a free country, Boomer, just block me and you won't have to read what I say. Everyone else on this page is like a huge circle jerk of buy another gun, I'm just offering a different perspective.
                          Ok kid, I guess the courteous part is over and we're going straight to name calling.

                          You win. Now go back to your basement and tell the rest of the kids how you showed me.

                          Child.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Tank 57
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 4175

                            44 Magnums are fun. I bought my 629 many years ago after saying I had no use for a 44 Magnum. Would not recommend buying a high end model for your first one. Standard 629 or 69 are good guns. 69 is a little more to handle due to lower weight. Like most, mine don't get shot a lot. Great fun to let people try them out. Not something I would hand to a new shooter.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              plinker202020
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2020
                              • 810

                              I respect and appreciate all advice. The words of caution on this thread are giving me second thoughts.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1