Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Advice please...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • briankk
    Junior Member
    • May 2007
    • 66

    Advice please...

    I keep my household .45 loaded with Cor-Bon 200gr +P, but recently turned up 15 rounds of Winchester Black Talons, 200 gr I think.

    Should I stash the Cor-Bon and load up the Black Talons, or keep the Cor-Bon and auction off the Black Talons?

    Either way, why?
  • #2
    5hundo
    Banned
    • Jun 2008
    • 2210

    If it were me, I wouldn't shoot the Black Talons. If you hang onto them long enough, they might end up being worth something.

    Cor-Bons are readily available and easily replaced. Black Talons: not so much...

    Comment

    • #3
      Pistolwhipped
      Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 374

      ^I agree^ The black talons are hard to find and rare so I would hold onto them for sure.
      "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
      -Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

      Comment

      • #4
        Vin496
        Calguns Addict
        • Mar 2008
        • 8804

        The Black Talons are a novelty piece now. They have been surpassed in technology, it's just the name and the press that surrounded them has elevated their reputation. Sell them for a profit, and buy some new ammo.

        The Winchester Ranger T is the modern day version of the Black Talon.

        I think it can be confirmed that an alien xenomorph is absolutely no match for good ole' Alabama black snake!

        and

        If you're in a survival movie and the hot blond twists her ankle and can't walk, you damn well figure a way to carry her. If it's a dude, you shake his hand and say "best of luck".

        Comment

        • #5
          briankk
          Junior Member
          • May 2007
          • 66

          Originally posted by Vin496
          The Black Talons are a novelty piece now. They have been surpassed in technology, it's just the name and the press that surrounded them has elevated their reputation. Sell them for a profit, and buy some new ammo.

          The Winchester Ranger T is the modern day version of the Black Talon.

          http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...low-point-ammo
          Been looking for .45 Ranger T since it was announced, so far, no joy. Is it better (or worse, depending on your viewpoint) than the Cor-Bon?

          Comment

          • #6
            Vin496
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2008
            • 8804

            Originally posted by briankk
            Been looking for .45 Ranger T since it was announced, so far, no joy. Is it better (or worse, depending on your viewpoint) than the Cor-Bon?
            My experience with Cor Bon is limited to years ago. I have run a few boxes of Ranger T and had no problem, but for the most part I have settled on Speer Gold Dots as my HD use round.

            For me round placement is far more important than a particular round. Find something you can practice with and make sure your gun likes it.

            Remember far more people have been killed with ball ammo than any fancy hollowpoint. Besides isn't that we use the .45 because it in itself is a big old hole maker, lol.
            I think it can be confirmed that an alien xenomorph is absolutely no match for good ole' Alabama black snake!

            and

            If you're in a survival movie and the hot blond twists her ankle and can't walk, you damn well figure a way to carry her. If it's a dude, you shake his hand and say "best of luck".

            Comment

            • #7
              BamBam-31
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              • Dec 2005
              • 5318

              Which round functions better in your gun? Use that one.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #8
                FieldsofFire
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 1879

                ^I agree. Load a good quality, preferably LE-grade, round and find what cycles best in your gun. You want ZERO issues. Go with that round once you've found it.

                Comment

                • #9
                  FieldsofFire
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 1879

                  Forgot to add, I would run at least 50 test rounds through the gun to test function. Personally, I would run over 100 at least but good quality JHP is expensive so that isn't always possible. Test it through the gun in every configuration you would run it in for HD...like if you are going to use a weapon-mounted light, etc.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    APNF128
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 1134

                    For my .45 I never went to all these exotic ammo. Since my first 45 pistol I always load them Federal match 230gr RN ball ammo its accurate, heavy and solid enough to penetrate a lot of thick object and barriers and not to mention make big holes when it hits.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      briankk
                      Junior Member
                      • May 2007
                      • 66

                      Originally posted by BamBam-31
                      Which round functions better in your gun? Use that one.
                      Its a SW99, I've tried all sorts of weird junk in it, it'll feed anything. I think it would feed and fire 230 gr of granite gravel if I could figure out how to load it...

                      I have access to all the funny hollow point except the Ranger T, just wondered which is 'best'..

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        FieldsofFire
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 1879

                        Originally posted by APNF128
                        For my .45 I never went to all these exotic ammo. Since my first 45 pistol I always load them Federal match 230gr RN ball ammo its accurate, heavy and solid enough to penetrate a lot of thick object and barriers and not to mention make big holes when it hits.
                        As firearms owners who use our weapons for personal protection, I think we are responsible for where that round ends up ultimately. I want as little chance as possible of one of my bullets hitting a perp and then striking someone two houses down. That's mostly why I wouldn't use ball for HD.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          old-trapper
                          Member
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 477

                          load your mag by alternating every other one....and send me what's left over....LOL
                          " if your only as old as you feel....I'm a thousand"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            PutTogether
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 2370

                            Since you only have 15 rds of the Black Talon, you don't have nearly enough to properly function test the gun with that particular ammo, so I would say there is no way you could keep it in the gun for defense use. Would it work out ok? Probably, but I'd rather have the absolute certainty of knowing that my gun feeds the actual ammo that is in it reliably.

                            Also, the Ranger - T ammo is very, very good stuff if/when you can find it. It doesn't feed in everything though, because the mouth is wide with deep "petals." My Sig eats it fine, but my Kimber doesn't like it.
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Sam
                              Calguns Addict
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 5205

                              Originally posted by PutTogether
                              Since you only have 15 rds of the Black Talon, you don't have nearly enough to properly function test the gun with that particular ammo, so I would say there is no way you could keep it in the gun for defense use. Would it work out ok? Probably, but I'd rather have the absolute certainty of knowing that my gun feeds the actual ammo that is in it reliably.

                              Also, the Ranger - T ammo is very, very good stuff if/when you can find it. It doesn't feed in everything though, because the mouth is wide with deep "petals." My Sig eats it fine, but my Kimber doesn't like it.
                              Exactly, you need to make sure the ammo feeds properly and with 15 rounds, that's just beginning to do some reliability testing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1