Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Next Purchase

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gary13
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 1523

    Next Purchase

    Started shooting again 6 months ago and after renting several different pistols, purchased a new Ruger 22/45, and have put about 2000 rounds through it in the last 3 months. I really want to purchase my next pistol, and have been scanning the Calgun ads every day. In some ways I want to step up to a 9mm, and I like the Glock 17. But I really lust after a 1911, and have shot a Kimber that I really liked. Problem is I want to limit myself to $500 for now. A local shop has several used guns, including a Glock 17 in nice shape with one mag for $400 and a SA 1911 Milspec, also in nice shape and one mag for $485. He is willing to go with me to the local indoor range, and will even supply the ammo so that I can try them both. The Glock is cheaper, and cheaper to shoot, but the 1911 is calling my name.

    This would mainly be for target shooting and maybe some amateur competitions, and maybe home protection.
  • #2
    cookmonsta
    Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 276

    Get a Rock Island Armory 1911 for under $500, you wont be disappointed.
    I read somewhere that America is safer place when criminals dont know who is armed, well that is why...."I'd rather be caught with, than without."

    Comment

    • #3
      rckjeep
      CGSSA Leader
      • Jun 2009
      • 406

      Originally posted by Gary13
      This would mainly be for target shooting and maybe some amateur competitions, and maybe home protection.
      Since you said "home protection" go 1911. if a
      200+lb. guy comes at you in your house a 9mm will not stop him in his tracks. A .45acp will put back a few feet. I've been talking to a lot of Peace officers lately and they all carry at least a .40S&W. Which has more velocity than a .45acp at the end of it's ballistic table, which is why I'm buying a XD40, but out of the two you mentioned go 1911.
      NRA Level 1 Pistol Coach - VentureCrew SASP Coach
      NRA Pistol Instructor
      NRA RSO

      Comment

      • #4
        Dangerous1
        Member
        • May 2009
        • 263

        If you want something for HD, get a shotgun. A shotgun and a Glock is still less than a lot of 1911's.
        I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

        Comment

        • #5
          Opus109
          Member
          • May 2009
          • 353

          The SA Milspec sounds like a steal! Grab it!!!

          1911's are a BLAST, literally and figuratively.

          On the other hand, I love my Glock 19. I'm going to be shooting it at Barnwood Arms in Ripon on Monday, around lunchtime. You can't go wrong with either one.
          Last edited by Opus109; 06-12-2009, 6:20 PM. Reason: Clarity
          Opus109

          Glock 27 - CCW

          Comment

          • #6
            Rekrab
            Valar Dohaeris
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • May 2009
            • 5534

            You'll love that SA. Great gun to shoot.

            If it falls through, consider a new RIA 1911 too!
            Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

            Big Ammo Sale!
            Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

            Comment

            • #7
              Gary13
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2009
              • 1523

              I shoot at Barnwood all the time, and that is where we would try them out.

              Ok, let's take home defense out of the picture. Does that change any opinions?

              Both are used.

              Comment

              • #8
                tango5
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 2276

                Originally posted by Gary13
                Started shooting again 6 months ago and after renting several different pistols, purchased a new Ruger 22/45, and have put about 2000 rounds through it in the last 3 months. I really want to purchase my next pistol, and have been scanning the Calgun ads every day. In some ways I want to step up to a 9mm, and I like the Glock 17. But I really lust after a 1911, and have shot a Kimber that I really liked. Problem is I want to limit myself to $500 for now. A local shop has several used guns, including a Glock 17 in nice shape with one mag for $400 and a SA 1911 Milspec, also in nice shape and one mag for $485. He is willing to go with me to the local indoor range, and will even supply the ammo so that I can try them both. The Glock is cheaper, and cheaper to shoot, but the 1911 is calling my name.

                This would mainly be for target shooting and maybe some amateur competitions, and maybe home protection.
                You already answered your question. Get what you want, dont settle for something less, you will regret it later.
                US Army Veteran
                1995-2003 31U Commo Chief

                "You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass" -Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (WW2)

                Comment

                • #9
                  Pistolwhipped
                  Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 374

                  If you want a pistol get a 1911. Like they said above a Rock Island is a good pistol for what your looking to spend. For HD dont get anything but a shotgun, have a back up pistol. IMO. When your adrenaline is rushing its hard to aim, it helps to have something you can fire from the hip and still hit your target.
                  "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
                  -Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    cryptkeeper
                    Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 414

                    Originally posted by rckjeep
                    Since you said "home protection" go 1911. if a
                    200+lb. guy comes at you in your house a 9mm will not stop him in his tracks. A .45acp will put back a few feet. I've been talking to a lot of Peace officers lately and they all carry at least a .40S&W. Which has more velocity than a .45acp at the end of it's ballistic table, which is why I'm buying a XD40, but out of the two you mentioned go 1911.
                    wow. just, wow.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      timmyb21
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 1814

                      1911. Thread done. Great price too.
                      sigpic

                      George Washington didn't use the 1st amendment to defeat the British...he shot them.

                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Legasat
                        Intergalactic Member
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 4151

                        Originally posted by rckjeep
                        if a 200+lb. guy comes at you in your house a 9mm will not stop him in his tracks. A .45acp will put back a few feet.
                        Yeah right, and a shotgun blast sends people flying through the air when it hits...[/sarcasm]

                        Get whatever suits YOU, but don't go by these kinds of comments. This only happens in Holloywood movies.
                        Last edited by Legasat; 06-12-2009, 11:43 PM.
                        ..

                        .........STGC(SW)


                        SAF Life Member

                        sigpic
                        NRA Benefactor

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          walter
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2007
                          • 1048

                          i love my glock and i also love 1911's but i cant afford to shoot 45. i can barely afford to shoot 9 right now
                          WTB:
                          PW9142LP
                          SA GI 1911 Champion/Commander All Steel

                          Originally posted by tonelar
                          my recurring gun dream is one where I'm trading shots with BGs and my thompson is only a semi... oh wait, that's not a dream, that's California.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Dangerous1
                            Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 263

                            Originally posted by walter
                            i love my glock and i also love 1911's but i cant afford to shoot 45. i can barely afford to shoot 9 right now
                            How about a 9mm 1911? Or just an all metal 9mm like a Beretta or a Sig... damn these choices.
                            I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Southbay
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2007
                              • 890

                              Originally posted by rckjeep
                              Since you said "home protection" go 1911. if a
                              200+lb. guy comes at you in your house a 9mm will not stop him in his tracks. A .45acp will put back a few feet. I've been talking to a lot of Peace officers lately and they all carry at least a .40S&W. Which has more velocity than a .45acp at the end of it's ballistic table, which is why I'm buying a XD40, but out of the two you mentioned go 1911.
                              The bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

                              Need a Realtor, I have 30 years experience, PM me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1