Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Normal Capacity .40 S&W Glock Mags

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wildcard
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2006
    • 4924

    Normal Capacity .40 S&W Glock Mags

    I was at the range today and noticed somebody shooting a G22 (.40 S&W) with 15 round capacity magazines. Is it possible for somebody to legally possess these w/o being law enforcement? I'm just unsure if .40 S&W Glocks were available before the ban. Then again, somebody could have conceivably purchesed the magazine without the gun if it were available in another state or even country..
  • #2
    gose
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 3953

    G22 and G23 were introduced in 1990, so yes, they could certainly have purchased the gun and the magazines before any bans took place.
    With Oden on our side.

    Comment

    • #3
      slick_711
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2006
      • 4400

      Were you that kid in 3rd grade that ran to the teacher when you saw Bobby kiss little Jenny Wilson behind the swing set?

      To answer your question though, the Glock 22 was introduced in 1990, so thats ten years of time to buy standard-cap magazines. Its also entirely possible the person you saw shooting was an LEO since the Glock 22 is standard issue for FBI and a number of various PDs. (Its also standard issue to rappers who think they're hot ****, but we won't go there)

      Comment

      • #4
        NorCal MedTac
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 599

        When were the glock 17 and 19 first made?
        http://www.norcalmedtac.com
        Providing CPR and First Aid training, to small groups and individuals; NRA classes; Defensive Medicine, Defensive Pistol, Defensive Carbine, and Defensive Shotgun classes.


        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          slick_711
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 4400

          Without looking it up I couldn't say for certain, but the model numbers are actually the order in which they were patented (thus the numbers seem to make sense caliber wise at first but when you look at all the models you see the numbers aren't quite sequential). So I'd say yeah the 17 was first made? Thats just a guess off the top of my head though, I'm far from a Glock history expert.

          (Although 17 =/= 1? lol... but I've not seen/heard of any numbered lower than 17)

          Comment

          • #6
            eckerph
            Senior Member
            • May 2006
            • 1694

            Then again, somebody could have conceivably purchesed the magazine without the gun if it were available in another state or even country..
            Thats illegal! who would ever do such a thing as diabolical thing as "importing" high cap mags, you good citizen should bring this to the proper authority's at once!
            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=764869 M1 ammo for sale

            Comment

            • #7
              wildcard
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2006
              • 4924

              Originally posted by slick_711
              Were you that kid in 3rd grade that ran to the teacher when you saw Bobby kiss little Jenny Wilson behind the swing set?

              To answer your question though, the Glock 22 was introduced in 1990, so thats ten years of time to buy standard-cap magazines. Its also entirely possible the person you saw shooting was an LEO since the Glock 22 is standard issue for FBI and a number of various PDs. (Its also standard issue to rappers who think they're hot ****, but we won't go there)
              Just providing a little background as to what sparked my curiosity. And as for the answer to your question: No, I was the one doing the kissing

              Comment

              • #8
                icormba
                Senior Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 1826

                Originally posted by wildcard
                Is it possible for somebody to legally possess these w/o being law enforcement?
                Yes... I was going to buy a bunch, but "Normal Capacity" Glock 23 & 19 mags in those days cost a ton of money! I only have a couple and never take them out.

                I remember some local gunshops sold Glock 19 (15rd) mags for ~$100.00 a pop back in '97.

                This was a time when gun shows actually had good deals.
                Chris
                http://www.m1garand.net

                Comment

                • #9
                  chiefcrash
                  Internet Dictator
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Jul 2006
                  • 3408

                  Originally posted by slick_711
                  Were you that kid in 3rd grade that ran to the teacher when you saw Bobby kiss little Jenny Wilson behind the swing set?

                  To answer your question though, the Glock 22 was introduced in 1990, so thats ten years of time to buy standard-cap magazines. Its also entirely possible the person you saw shooting was an LEO since the Glock 22 is standard issue for FBI and a number of various PDs. (Its also standard issue to rappers who think they're hot ****, but we won't go there)
                  i thought the FBI were using Sigs?
                  Originally posted by Kestryll
                  we can not nor should not dismiss or discount my theory that in the dark of night you molest sea anemones by candlelight.
                  Originally posted by TKM
                  Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
                  Originally posted by Click Boom
                  It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    gose
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 3953

                    Originally posted by slick_711
                    Without looking it up I couldn't say for certain, but the model numbers are actually the order in which they were patented (thus the numbers seem to make sense caliber wise at first but when you look at all the models you see the numbers aren't quite sequential). So I'd say yeah the 17 was first made? Thats just a guess off the top of my head though, I'm far from a Glock history expert.

                    (Although 17 =/= 1? lol... but I've not seen/heard of any numbered lower than 17)
                    17 is rumored to be a reference to the number of rounds in the magazine, but later models were all in sequence, so I'm not sure if the rumor is correct or not.
                    With Oden on our side.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      JPglee1
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 3025

                      Originally posted by slick_711
                      Were you that kid in 3rd grade that ran to the teacher when you saw Bobby kiss little Jenny Wilson behind the swing set?

                      To answer your question though, the Glock 22 was introduced in 1990, so thats ten years of time to buy standard-cap magazines. Its also entirely possible the person you saw shooting was an LEO since the Glock 22 is standard issue for FBI and a number of various PDs. (Its also standard issue to rappers who think they're hot ****, but we won't go there)

                      Ive met Wildcard...I'd have to say he doesn't strike me as the kind of dude to run and tattle.


                      And yes "J" you can have hicaps for a glock 22, as others have said

                      As long as you owned them before Jan 1 2000.


                      As another thread pointed out its also legal to "find" magazines, lol
                      (that thread was funny)


                      JP

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        wildcard
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 4924

                        Originally posted by slick_711
                        Without looking it up I couldn't say for certain, but the model numbers are actually the order in which they were patented (thus the numbers seem to make sense caliber wise at first but when you look at all the models you see the numbers aren't quite sequential). So I'd say yeah the 17 was first made? Thats just a guess off the top of my head though, I'm far from a Glock history expert.

                        (Although 17 =/= 1? lol... but I've not seen/heard of any numbered lower than 17)
                        Don't forget about the porcelain Glock 7! If Bruce Willis says it exists.. then it must! You've seen Die Hard 2, right?

                        And for whoever asked earlier, the G19 was introduced in 1988. Not sure when it was available in California though.

                        J

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Stanze
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 3301



                          Was it this guy? Cos' if it is, I'd just run, duck or find some cover!

                          Unless, you trust he is the only one in the room professional enough to handle a Glock Fortee!
                          Constitutionally, officials cannot license or register a fundamental right.

                          "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin


                          "Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            slick_711
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2006
                            • 4400

                            Originally posted by gose
                            17 is rumored to be a reference to the number of rounds in the magazine, but later models were all in sequence, so I'm not sure if the rumor is correct or not.
                            Well we're kinda sayin the same thing? Yes they were all in number sequence after the 17 in the order in which they were introduced (patented) I was just saying they're not in number order by caliber.

                            I've had lots of people ask me about the model differences and then they wonder why the 9mms are 17,[18],19,and then 26 instead of 20. Same with the .40S&W G-27, those two subcompacts were born after a number of the other models.

                            ETA: The mag capacity being the reason they started @17 is a common misconception, when Glock began making firearms they started with a contract to produce sidearms for the Austrian military, and the accepted version of the Glock 9mm pistol that the Austrian military eventually accepted was their 17th patent; Glock then went from there with their model numbers. (I was playing internet detective for the last 5 minutes, I won't pretend this is something I knew this morning).
                            Last edited by slick_711; 11-29-2006, 4:03 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Stanze
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 3301

                              The Glock 17 was given it's name because it was Gaston Glock's 17th patent. Glock started out making polymer curtain rods, machine gun links, shovels and knives for the Austrian Army.



                              Of course holding 17 rounds in the mag is also uber nifty IMO.
                              Constitutionally, officials cannot license or register a fundamental right.

                              "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin


                              "Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1