Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W 29-2 or 29-3

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GoodGuy96
    Member
    • May 2009
    • 131

    S&W 29-2 or 29-3

    Does anyone know the difference between the 29-2 and -3? I picked my 29-3 (4in) up in the late 70's and had it magnaported and trigger/spring job. It's as sweet today as it was when I had it done. For the life of me I can't remember the dif between the two. Maybe it's not just the piece that's getting old.
    Heed the man with only one rifle, for he knows how to use it.
  • #2
    Nitroman
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2007
    • 501

    Originally posted by GoodGuy96
    Does anyone know the difference between the 29-2 and -3? I picked my 29-3 (4in) up in the late 70's and had it magnaported and trigger/spring job. It's as sweet today as it was when I had it done. For the life of me I can't remember the dif between the two. Maybe it's not just the piece that's getting old.
    If I remember correctly, the 29-2 has a pinned barrel and recessed cylinders, while the 29-3 does not. There may be other differences, and I'm sure someone with a bit more knlowledge will chime in here shortly.

    Rich

    Comment

    • #3
      B Strong
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Feb 2009
      • 6367

      Join the leading Smith & Wesson community to discuss revolvers, pistols, gunsmithing, and explore our active classifieds and photo galleries.
      The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
      ___________________________________________
      "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
      - Jeff Cooper

      Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

      Comment

      • #4
        BigDogatPlay
        Calguns Addict
        • Jun 2007
        • 7362

        Let me save you some searching time because the S&W forum will eventually point you to this link, not a totally complete list but effective4....



        Model 20,21,22,23,24,25 (except 25-5) 26,27,28,29
        -1 1960 Change to LH thread
        -2 1961 Cylinder stop changed, hole in front of trigger
        guard eliminated
        -3 1982 Eliminate cylinder counterbore (magnums only)
        -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

        Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

        Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

        Comment

        • #5
          CALI-gula
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2006
          • 7222

          Originally posted by Nitroman
          If I remember correctly, the 29-2 has a pinned barrel and recessed cylinders, while the 29-3 does not. There may be other differences, and I'm sure someone with a bit more knlowledge will chime in here shortly.

          Rich
          -2s are also counter-bored.

          .
          ------------------------

          Comment

          Working...
          UA-8071174-1