Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

GP 100 owners, anyone use a red dot?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BananaKetchup
    Member
    • Oct 2020
    • 159

    GP 100 owners, anyone use a red dot?

    Will be picking up a 6" GP 100 tomorrow, I have a vortex viper laying around here and might as well use it. What is your preferred way to mount pistol red dots on yours?
  • #2
    357magnum
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 1219

    I used the Weigand ( Weig-A-Tinny ) scope mount for a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on my 6" GP-100.
    It worked great, but was to bulky for my liking.
    I went back to my fiber optic sights, much better.
    sigpic"Don't mistake my kindness for weakness. I am kind to everyone, but when someone is unkind to me, weak is not what you are going to remember about me."
    -Al Capone-

    Comment

    • #3
      Cowboy T
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2010
      • 5725

      Irons. It's a handgun. The factory Ruger sights work well for me.
      "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
      F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
      http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
      http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
      http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
      ----------------------------------------------------
      To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

      Comment

      • #4
        JTROKS
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2007
        • 13093

        Back when the GP100 was my favorite sidearm for hunting I had a B-square clamp on no drill scope mount. It was good enough to use in steel shooting. I had a Tasco Pro-point mounted most of the time, but will utilize a 4x scope for load development. That’s when I learned how accurate my GP100s were.
        The wise man said just find your place
        In the eye of the storm
        Seek the roses along the way
        Just beware of the thorns...
        K. Meine

        Comment

        • #5
          bergmen
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 2493

          I've tried various optical sights on various handguns and always went back to open sights. My 4" GP100 has fiber optic sights I bought from Ruger and they are outstanding. Wish I had them on all of my handguns (I have them on my Single Six as well).

          Dan

          Comment

          • #6
            norcalAF
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Jul 2012
            • 1654

            Another vote for iron sights in fiber optic flavor. My match champion and super redhawk both wear them.

            Comment

            • #7
              wild_weasel
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 1257

              I have a three XXX digit GP100 that I have enjoyed since 1986. After shooting out two barrels, replaced for free by Ruger, it is still going strong with black iron sights.

              Cheers,
              W-W
              sigpic
              Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

              Comment

              • #8
                wamphyri13
                CGN Contributor
                • Apr 2008
                • 2759

                I have a Weigand rail mount as well. It goes in place of the front and rear sights. I have a Tasco Pro Point mounted to it that works quite well. It's strictly a range gun for me.
                The following statement is true.
                The preceding statement was false.

                Comment

                • #9
                  GeeBee49
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2020
                  • 1981

                  Every gun I own has the original sights that came on them and that includes my original GP100 and my more recent Match Champion.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    darkstar2000
                    Member
                    • Nov 2019
                    • 318

                    Off topic question how long did you wait for the GP100 model you DROS'd? Was it on back order? If so how long? Is your version stainless or blued? Ordered mine in December 8th. Where did you buy yours?

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Dirtlaw
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Apr 2018
                      • 3480

                      If there was a quick and easy way to do it I would likely go that route. Red dot is God's gift to old eyes.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        ScottsBad
                        Progressives Suck!
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • May 2009
                        • 5610

                        ?!?!?!?!!!! WAAAAT!? Irons.
                        sigpicC'mon man, shouldn't we ban Democracks from Cal-Guns? Or at least send them to re-education camps.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          BananaKetchup
                          Member
                          • Oct 2020
                          • 159

                          Lol so far no decision yet, I ended up getting a FO front sight. Going to the range next weekend to try.

                          It's the 6" blued version. I didn't pre order it, I woke up early one Saturday, checked out the Turners website and they had 3 in stock. Got there on opening, and per the guy helping me those 3 ( mine included) were gone in 30mins.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            darkstar2000
                            Member
                            • Nov 2019
                            • 318

                            Cool enjoy it! It’s a wonderful piece of machinery! Can’t wait till I get mine

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1