Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Best entry level red dot for Glock 21

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Moparmotel
    Member
    • Dec 2018
    • 120

    Best entry level red dot for Glock 21

  • #2
    Swagman00
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2012
    • 4149

    Lucky you. I just jailed a 21 myself.

    As to the red dots the sky is the limit. People choosing a preferred red dot is like asking what flavor of ice cream or toppings combo for a pizza is the best. IMHO all of the versions in the picture below are great options (Holosun included).

    The rear sight can be removed to add a plate for bolting on a red dot of your preference. A good benefit is being able to use a multi-footprint version for whatever red dot you go for. The catch is that you'll lose a co-witness for a primary sight. To have both you'll need a cut-out and the most common is the RMR footprint.

    Last edited by Swagman00; 12-26-2020, 7:29 PM.
    Anyway...here's a dearth of reasoning to ponder: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Guns

    Originally posted by movie zombie
    and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

    Comment

    • #3
      naz
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2020
      • 3108

      Figure $150 to mill slide and $250-$600 for the red dot (Eg holosun 507, trijicon sro)

      Get a dot that other people have field tested thoroughly for durability. If you can’t trust that the dot will hold zero you might as well just save your money and stick to iron sights

      Comment

      • #4
        FNGGlock
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2020
        • 1289

        What do you use the 21 for?
        Also why do want a red dot?

        My 21SF is my primary HD gun and I fitted a light on it with night sights.
        I am building a slide setup for my 17, where I swap the complete slide for one with a red dot. This is mostly for range use and plinking. The 17 with night sights is backup HD for the 21. Will eventually get a frame to have a complete range unit.

        If you plan to use the 21 for defense purposes, think long and hard before using a red dot, and definitely get a very reliable setup, not cheap add ons. Of it is for fun , have at it.

        Comment

        • #5
          EWastigmatism
          Member
          • Mar 2020
          • 330

          Entry is a relative term. The Burris Fastfire 3, and Vortex Venom or Viper are probably your best bet for "an entry level" pistol red dot sight.

          Comment

          • #6
            Snoopy47
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2010
            • 3903

            Originally posted by EWastigmatism
            Entry is a relative term. The Burris Fastfire 3, and Vortex Venom or Viper are probably your best bet for "an entry level" pistol red dot sight.
            I think the FastFire III is the best all around range gun value.

            For a HD gun you'll want something that turns on with motion, which typically the economic choices do not offer.
            Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

            Comment

            • #7
              W.R.Buchanan
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2008
              • 3401

              I had a Fast fire on my G35 for about a year. The problem I had was picking up the dot each time I presented the gun.

              Sometimes it was there, sometimes I had to hunt for it. Even a few tenths of a second is too much for some things.

              As far as Reliability? It was fine and never shifted zero over 1000+ shots.

              It attached to the rear sight dovetail.



              Once I had the dot I could bang off targets fast, and it excelled with the USA 1 Shot Pistol Brace. I ran a 6 plate rack in just over 2 seconds from the ready.



              With the pistol brace this gun was the Broomhandle Mauser you always wanted. It was every bit as accurate as my Ruger PCC Carbine out to 150+ yards.

              Randy
              Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-30-2021, 10:51 AM.
              Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
              Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
              Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
              Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

              It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
              www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

              Comment

              • #8
                NATEWA
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2012
                • 5977

                Originally posted by Swagman00
                Lucky you. I just jailed a 21 myself.

                As to the red dots the sky is the limit. People choosing a preferred red dot is like asking what flavor of ice cream or toppings combo for a pizza is the best. IMHO all of the versions in the picture below are great options (Holosun included).

                The rear sight can be removed to add a plate for bolting on a red dot of your preference. A good benefit is being able to use a multi-footprint version for whatever red dot you go for. The catch is that you'll lose a co-witness for a primary sight. To have both you'll need a cut-out and the most common is the RMR footprint.


                This one?
                Strike Industries is proud to introduce a revolutionary new product The Universal (Optics) Mount for GLOCK™. It has the lowest height-over-bore mount in the industry without the hassle of cutting your slide or cost of buying an aftermarket slide! We have put many hours and 1000's of rounds down range with most of the more popular red dot optics on the market with no problems whatsoever! This includes the Burris* Fast* Fire* II & III, Leupold* Delta Point* reflex sights, Docters* II & III, EoTech* MRDS*, Trijicon* RMR,* Vortex Venom and Viper, and many others. The mount itself is secured to the slide via the dove tail with 6 set screws. Two in the dovetail cut and one forward and aft of the dovetail and two more to prevent any shift. This provides a steady, sturdy and rugged mount that will repeatedly hold zero. Other mounting hardware included is 6mm, 8mm and 10mm screws (two of each) that are used to fit and secure most of the popular optics out there. (Depending on what optic you have you will need to find the screws that correlates with your particular optic. There are two special screws for Trijicon RMR. Once you secured the GUM to your slide and found the correct post ( two sets of reinforcing post included) for your optic, go ahead and mount your optic on the post and use the final two longer securing screws to secure your optic to the GUM.  NOT COMPATIBLE: G42,G43,G43x,G48

                Comment

                • #9
                  jon94520
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2016
                  • 762

                  I just picked up a Leupold Deltapoint myself. Probably a bit more than you want to spend (definitely not entry level) but it’s a great red dot. Made in USA too.
                  BUY AMERICAN

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Bobby Ricigliano
                    Mit Gott und Mauser
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 17439

                    I like Burris products and I have a FF3 on a Glock 34 MOS. The one gripe I have with it is the battery cover is super easy to bugger up, even if you are really careful and using an appropriate tool. It is also difficult to get the cover lined up correctly with the threads, leading to more buggery of the cover.

                    The optic works perfectly otherwise. I sent a request to Burris regarding a replacement battery cover. I did not get an actual reply, but within a couple days I received a replacement battery cover in the mail.

                    So my overall opinion is favorable, and they are at the lowest price / quality point before you get into cheap gun show red dots that come with a free bowl of soup.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      elSquid
                      In Memoriam
                      • Aug 2007
                      • 11844

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        BigPimping
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 21487

                        I've never understood why anyone would want to fit a red dot sight to a handgun. Especially a Glock. Just get night sights and be done with it.
                        sigpic

                        PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                        When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                        Don't let your history be a mystery

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          rlewpolar
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2014
                          • 1447

                          Last edited by rlewpolar; 12-27-2020, 7:01 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            nighttowl
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 77

                            I havent tried it, but this one has a circle reticle.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Bobby Ricigliano
                              Mit Gott und Mauser
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 17439

                              Originally posted by BigPimping 1911 fly guy!
                              I've never understood why anyone would want to fit a red dot sight to a handgun. Especially a Glock. Just get night sights and be done with it.
                              I would have agreed with you up until a few years ago when my 20/20 vision started to go kaput. Night sights are helpful, but they can still be hard to pick up in low light conditions. For me, corrective lenses that sharpen my view of the sights make everything 5 +feet away blurry.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1