Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SIG P229 or P239 Comparisons

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ghost58
    Junior Member
    • May 2009
    • 10

    SIG P229 or P239 Comparisons

    Greeting to All: I'm looking to buy in 9mm. The difference in magazine capacity is not important, and I am not interested in the option of the 22 conversion kit for the P229 (since it seems to be plagued with problems). With that background, does anyone have any suggestions for a newbie between the P229 and P239. Anybody have both? All comments appreciated. Thanks.
  • #2
    M. Sage
    Moderator Emeritus
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jul 2006
    • 19759

    229 is bigger by a little bit. The 239 should be more concealable than the 229 because of the smaller dimensions and thinner grip (single stack mag in the 239).

    ETA: I guess the first question would be "what do you plan on using this pistol for?" A small pistol is great if you're going to carry concealed (not much chance of that on Contra Costa County, though...?), but bad at almost everything else.
    Last edited by M. Sage; 05-23-2009, 4:54 PM.
    Originally posted by Deadbolt
    "We're here to take your land for your safety"

    "My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
    sigpicNRA Member

    Comment

    • #3
      Heatseeker
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 1886

      I picked up a 239 in .40 last Dec. I pack it around at home and plan to use it for out of state ccw carry. It's great shooter and is easily concealed using a holster that a calguns member made custom for me.

      I couldn't be happier with it.

      Not exactly a comparison, more of a positive review .
      If it ain't broke, keep fixin' it 'til it is...

      Comment

      • #4
        aca72
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2006
        • 3250

        Choose the one that best fits the "feel" of your hand.

        Both are champs.
        Long live CALGUNS!

        Selling: ✮ GLOCK ✮ Beretta ✮ SIG Sauer ✮ Stuff ✮

        Comment

        • #5
          Miltiades
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2006
          • 1149

          Different missions

          I have the P239 in 9mm and the P229 in .40. The P239 is thinner, lighter weight and more streamlined, making it easier to carry concealed. The P229 is an excellent gun for range and home defense, and can be carried concealed if you don't mind the weight and thickness. The triggers feel similar on both, and the grip of the P229 fills my hand better.



          Comment

          • #6
            aplinker
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2007
            • 16762

            I'm a huge P228/229 lover. It's one of my favorite pistols. In fact, I just ran a couple hundred through her. Such a pleasure to shoot.

            The P239 is really a bit too small to shoot "right" in my opinion. It's much more of a carry piece.

            Google Map of OLL Dealers

            List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
            Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
            This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

            Comment

            • #7
              dchang0
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2008
              • 2772

              I was torn between the two for a while before finally buying the P229.

              1) The P229 has a 10rnd to 13rnd capacity (15rnd with P226 mags), while the P239 has only 8rnd max.
              2) The P229 comes standard with a rail for mounting lights/lasers.
              3) Bigger/fatter grip on the P229, making for better grip/control and more comfortable recoil (slightly higher weight = lower velocity dispersed over wider area of your hand).
              4) More choices in holsters for the P229 than the P239.

              I also felt that the P239 was too heavy for its size--if concealability is important to you, the gun should be light and easy to carry inconspicuously. For this purpose, polymer frame guns are a better choice.

              Comment

              • #8
                hkusp9c
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 690

                yeah like others said. you should feel both pistols first and decide which feels better if they both don't feel right. Then try something else.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ghost58
                  Junior Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 10

                  Thanks to all for taking the time to reply. Its for range use, not CCW. Have held P239 at Bullseye in San Rafael, but they did not have a P229 for comparison. Sounds like it comes down to what feels better -- which is exactly what I wanted to know. Appreciate your comments. Regards to all!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Mr. Meeseeks
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 2951

                    I shoot my 239 and P6 best of all my Sigs, I have small hands. My 229 comes 3rd.

                    Best thing about the 239 other than its size is its trigger.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MrClamperSir
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 2570

                      Originally posted by ghost58
                      Its for range use, not CCW.
                      I have both and the p229, IMHO, is more accurately controlled for combat/defensive shooting. Regardless of CCW or home/range the p229 is better. Both mine are .40's but my buddy has the p229 in 9mm and I couldn't tell the difference.
                      Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

                      Originally posted by dieselpower
                      Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CnCFunFactory
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 1084

                        The United States Secret Service can't be wrong....

                        Go with the 229. I own both, the 239 in 9mm and the 229 in .40. I prefer the 229.

                        I will say given a choice though mine would be the sig 220 in good ole' .45.
                        NUNQUAM NON PARATUS

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          blackfalcon
                          Member
                          • Aug 2008
                          • 375

                          For target shooting, the P229 is a much better choice. I have both (229 in .40 and the 239 in .357 sig) and the P229 is better for target shooting. It is heavier than the P239, but for CCW, the P239 with it's slim build definitely has the advantage.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            MrClamperSir
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 2570

                            Originally posted by blackfalcon
                            but for CCW, the P239 with it's slim build definitely has the advantage.
                            It is a little better concealed but the 229 was a more consistently accurate under pressure (for me anyways).
                            Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

                            Originally posted by dieselpower
                            Its very rare LEO encounter some armed crazy who is going to kill them, but it happens enough to warrant their training....... And its rare to encounter LEO willing to lie, cheat and falsify testimony, but it happens enough to warrant invoking all your rights the second you are stopped.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TZL
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 3197

                              I prefer the double stack 228/229 series...especially using the 15 round pre-bans i have...nice capacity advantage over the 239...almost double the rounds for not that much bigger package

                              of course I have pre-bans, so if you are currently getting into it, your advantage is smaller, 8 rounds in the 239 vs 10 rounds in the CA-neutered 229....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1