Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo question from a first time gun owner...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bpmckown
    Junior Member
    • Aug 2020
    • 3

    Ammo question from a first time gun owner...

    As of yesterday, I am a proud first-time handgun owner (though I have yet to take possession due to the 10 day cool-off period ).

    I'm obviously quite new to this and I have a question about purchasing ammo; specifically, does one require documented registered firearm ownership in order to purchase ammo here in California? Since mine is the sole name on the gun's registration, my wife was wondering whether she would be to buy ammo without me being present at the transaction.

    Thanks in advance...

    Brian/Riverside
  • #2
    LongLiveTheRepublic
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2018
    • 625

    Yes, she can, she will have to do a $20(?) background check instead of the $1. After that she'll pay the $1.

    Comment

    • #3
      plumbum
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2010
      • 5394

      As above - sounds to me like she should also buy a gun, you know so you can save $20
      Originally posted by ysr_racer
      Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

      Comment

      • #4
        bpmckown
        Junior Member
        • Aug 2020
        • 3

        Ammo question from a first time gun owner...

        As of yesterday, I am a proud first-time handgun owner (though I have yet to take possession due to the 10 day cool-off period ).

        I'm obviously quite new to this and I have a question about purchasing ammo; specifically, does one require documented registered firearm ownership in order to purchase ammo here in California? Since mine is the sole name on the gun's registration, my wife was wondering whether she would be to buy ammo without me being present at the transaction.

        Thanks in advance...

        Brian/Riverside

        Comment

        • #5
          The War Wagon
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Apr 2011
          • 10294

          Welcome aboard!


          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            Garv
            RSG Minion, Senior
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Apr 2014
            • 9075

            If she is willing to wait in line at this time to get you some ammo, get that lady a gun of her own!
            Originally posted by Kestryll:
            It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

            Comment

            • #7
              sonofeugene
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2013
              • 4681

              No restrictions on buying ammo other than needing to be in the system. Since you just bought your first gun, you likely won't be in it. Therefore you'll need to pay 19 or 20 bucks for the check first. Then 1 dollar I believe for every purchase after that.

              Doesn't matter who purchases ammo.
              Let us not pray to be sheltered from dangers but to be fearless when facing them. - Rabindranath Tagore

              A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

              Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur

              Comment

              • #8
                ysr_racer
                Banned
                • Mar 2006
                • 12014

                What did you buy? A Glock?

                Comment

                • #9
                  bpmckown
                  Junior Member
                  • Aug 2020
                  • 3

                  Thank you all for the great advice!

                  Yes... the Mrs. has her heart set on a Glock 19, but she also realizes that finding one might not be as easy (or affordible) as the Bersa I picked up yesterday!

                  Neither of us had any experience with firearms up until four weeks ago when we took training courses at the local indoor range (and we're both in our 50's). Had someone told me six months ago that I'd be buying a handgun, I'd have laughed and told them they were nuts. I was never anti-gun... but it just wasn't my "thing". Pretty indicative of the times, I suppose, because i hear a lot of people say similar things.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    brix
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 613

                    My advise also is to remember why they dumb background laws are in place and make your vote count.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      plumbum
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2010
                      • 5394

                      Originally posted by bpmckown
                      Thank you all for the great advice!

                      Yes... the Mrs. has her heart set on a Glock 19, but she also realizes that finding one might not be as easy (or affordible) as the Bersa I picked up yesterday!

                      Neither of us had any experience with firearms up until four weeks ago when we took training courses at the local indoor range (and we're both in our 50's). Had someone told me six months ago that I'd be buying a handgun, I'd have laughed and told them they were nuts. I was never anti-gun... but it just wasn't my "thing". Pretty indicative of the times, I suppose, because i hear a lot of people say similar things.
                      It take a lot to come out and say this, and we are glad to have you. We all pray that the time never comes to have to use a firearm against another human, but as they say, better to have and not need. I hope we all can provide some information, wisdom and levity... and maybe some really bad advice on “what to buy next”!
                      Originally posted by ysr_racer
                      Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        S45
                        Member
                        • Apr 2019
                        • 167

                        Originally posted by bpmckown
                        Thank you all for the great advice!

                        Yes... the Mrs. has her heart set on a Glock 19, but she also realizes that finding one might not be as easy (or affordible) as the Bersa I picked up yesterday!

                        Neither of us had any experience with firearms up until four weeks ago when we took training courses at the local indoor range (and we're both in our 50's). Had someone told me six months ago that I'd be buying a handgun, I'd have laughed and told them they were nuts. I was never anti-gun... but it just wasn't my "thing". Pretty indicative of the times, I suppose, because i hear a lot of people say similar things.
                        Congrats on becoming a gun owner. And good call taking a course to gain some knowledge.
                        Also, please vote like a gun owner from now on if you didn’t already.
                        - Kyle Rittenhouse did nothing wrong -

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JC2020
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2020
                          • 821

                          Congrats! You’ll be at multiples of guns before you know it.

                          Ammo, unfortunately, is a little harder to get at present than the handgun.

                          Incidentally, I have seen the Glock 19 in stock at a large number of the bigger box retailers recently. Depending on where you live, Ammo Brothers, Turners, on Target, and other retailers here in SoCal have had them intermittently in stock. Following their social media pages, especially Instagram, is the only way to know when they get stock, since most stores don’t have time to answer the phone. Most are selling above regular retail, around $550 plus DROS and sales tax.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            naz
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2020
                            • 3108

                            Hi, I’m not sure where in Ca you are located but Black Dog Armory in Fremont had an XD9 as of 1:30p today (9/1). The lineup of 10 people behind me might have changed that, but could be something to consider if you can’t find a G19 for your wife.

                            Also, when you pick up your gun, that Dros can be used to buy ammo at the same time. They probably don’t have any in store; and if you have zero ammo, might be worth it to pay $$$ for ammo online and have it shipped there so you can have it transferred at the same time as your gun
                            Last edited by naz; 09-01-2020, 9:39 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SkyHawk
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Sep 2012
                              • 23531

                              Unless your wife has a gun registered to her, it could take days for the background check and more than one trip to buy ammo, every single time she buys. And a large fee.
                              Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1