Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Full size 1911 springs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • alanwk
    Member
    • May 2014
    • 106

    Full size 1911 springs

    I have a Springfield 1911-A1 Mil-Spec 45mm. The recoil spring factory spec is 16lb. My question is how much lighter can I take this safely? Thanks
  • #2
    FeuerFrei
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2008
    • 7455

    For shooting 45acp you should keep it right there @16#. Standard spec.
    Otherwise you run the risk of it trying to beat itself to death.

    Comment

    • #3
      CifaldiPrecision
      Vendor/Retailer
      • Aug 2012
      • 1806

      Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 07-22-2020, 10:44 AM.
      Brett Cifaldi
      Specializing in 1911s
      Cifaldi Precision

      Comment

      • #4
        divingin
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2015
        • 2522

        Depends on the ammo you run.

        Bullseye shooters often use reduced loads and will use a lighter spring to maintain slide travel with the reduced recoil impulse. You can go as low as 7 lbs (lightest spring I've seen), but will need a really light load to keep from battering the frame, and may have problems with the slide not having enough forward push to chamber rounds.

        Choosing a spring for light loads is, as far as I know, a lot of trial and error. I prefer to go the other way, and work up a load that suits whatever spring I have in the pistol.

        Comment

        • #5
          Pretty fly for a Cabinetguy
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
          • Feb 2016
          • 4387

          There is a reason for the factory recommendation...

          Go ahead and order a few different springs and try them. See what works for you and your shooter.

          Curious...What is your goal of using a lighter spring?
          Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...

          Comment

          • #6
            Colt
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2007
            • 1596

            Comment

            • #7
              jmatt511
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 691

              All of my 5" 1911s wear 18.5# Wolff recoil springs. Never had an issue with cycling, feeding or ejecting. But I do what I want.
              Cry Havoc.... and let slip the Dogs of War.

              Shakespeare: Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene I

              Comment

              • #8
                newbie1234
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2016
                • 3131

                Hahaha, same here I bought the "Adjustment/Calibration spring set" from Wolff, couple springs with difference weight. And never install it. And don't remember where I keep it
                Last edited by newbie1234; 07-23-2020, 5:16 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  ThatFishGuy
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 1084

                  I've run 14lbs recoil spring on a full-size 45acp, and had no issues. I also don't use +p ammo in that gun, and alot of loads that go through it are just enough to make major so nothing crazy. They're easy enough to swap you can just try a few, but like others have stated, figure out what your goal is.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    newbie1234
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2016
                    • 3131

                    Originally posted by ThatFishGuy
                    I've run 14lbs recoil spring on a full-size 45acp, and had no issues. I also don't use +p ammo in that gun, and alot of loads that go through it are just enough to make major so nothing crazy. They're easy enough to swap you can just try a few, but like others have stated, figure out what your goal is.
                    The popular 45ACP ammo run from 185gr to 300gr (200gr and 230gr are the most popular), what kind of ammo weight you shoot with 14# recoil spring ? Any advantage with 14# recoil spring ? I had the Calibrate Recoil Spring Set but never install (if it works then don't fix it )

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CifaldiPrecision
                      Vendor/Retailer
                      • Aug 2012
                      • 1806

                      Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 07-24-2020, 2:14 PM.
                      Brett Cifaldi
                      Specializing in 1911s
                      Cifaldi Precision

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1