Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • phillipjon
    Member
    • May 2009
    • 266

    Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum

    Does anybody know anything about them? Thanks in advance.
    DSC00885.1.JPG

    DSC00886.1.JPG
  • #2
    JagerTroop
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • 3922

    Uhhh, what do you want to know? I have a Super BH and it's a great gun that kicks like a mule and costs a fortune to feed.
    -A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.*
    *participation may vary by location. Not valid in California.

    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    And yes, this IS gun school.
    Welcome to class.
    Originally posted by bdsmchs
    There is life outside of Calguns
    Originally posted by IrishPirate
    stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!

    Comment

    • #3
      TheBundo
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2007
      • 1943

      I had a Super BH 30+ years ago. Loved it. Very strong gun.
      Free Gun & Ammo $$$ from the State
      http://scoweb.sco.ca.gov/UCP/
      See how many CalGunners are finding major money on this thread:
      http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172513

      Comment

      • #4
        Sinixstar
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2009
        • 1520

        Yes - they are extremely fun guns to shoot.

        My dad had several BH's in various lengths and calibers, (4.5, 7.5, 10.5 and I believe 9" - in .44mag, and roughly the same (minus the 10.5) in .45LC. Pretty sure he had a .41 or two laying around as well. The 7.5 is in my opinion, the best length. Enough weight and forward balance to help with recoil, but not so much to make it difficult to shoot. I also preferred the .45lc to the .44mag.
        Was a bit easier to handle overall. Could load up really hot .45 rounds that had the recoil of a moderate .44mag - but still get better distance and performance then the moderate .44. (or maybe it just mental - who knows).

        If you have specific questions about 'em - could probably help more. The one thing I found you have to be careful with on 'em though - is when you open the gate on the cylinder and pop the retaining pin - do NOT let it close with the cylinder out. I made that mistake once and could NOT get it back open (to put the cyl back in) no matter what I did. Thought I broke the gun. Eventually got it open , but it took quite a bit of doing.

        The one in the photo also looks like there's some damage to the finish - what is that?

        Comment

        • #5
          Tillers_Rule
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 1034

          I was just going to post up about requesting information on this gun. I've found a nice used one in my price range. I've also been looking to get something in the .44 caliber.
          sigpic
          "Don't steal, the Government hates competition."

          Comment

          • #6
            SDgarrick
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2008
            • 1192

            I too have recently become interested in the blackhawk. It seems to be the best value and frequently goes for below $400. How does this piece compare to other .44 mag revolvers?

            Comment

            • #7
              Tillers_Rule
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 1034

              It's single action, for one.
              sigpic
              "Don't steal, the Government hates competition."

              Comment

              • #8
                TheBundo
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2007
                • 1943

                Single Action tend to be more rugged, and Rugers in general tend to be very rugged, no matter the action. Suffice it to say, Super BlackHawks are very very strong guns
                Free Gun & Ammo $$$ from the State
                http://scoweb.sco.ca.gov/UCP/
                See how many CalGunners are finding major money on this thread:
                http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172513

                Comment

                • #9
                  JTROKS
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 13093

                  I have a SBH for about 20 years now and it is still tight and accurate as the day I got it. Mine is a 10.5" barrel stainless.
                  The wise man said just find your place
                  In the eye of the storm
                  Seek the roses along the way
                  Just beware of the thorns...
                  K. Meine

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    CapnHawk
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 550

                    I've had a Ruger 7.5" Super Blackhawk for nearly 30 years. A great gun to shoot and rugged as all get out. I practice with .44 specials and load up with .44 mags when I go into the back country.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      nooner
                      Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 184

                      I have a stainless 5 1/2" SB in .44mag. In the last 20+ years it is one of my favorite handguns.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        phillipjon
                        Member
                        • May 2009
                        • 266

                        Originally posted by Sinixstar
                        Yes - they are extremely fun guns to shoot.

                        My dad had several BH's in various lengths and calibers, (4.5, 7.5, 10.5 and I believe 9" - in .44mag, and roughly the same (minus the 10.5) in .45LC. Pretty sure he had a .41 or two laying around as well. The 7.5 is in my opinion, the best length. Enough weight and forward balance to help with recoil, but not so much to make it difficult to shoot. I also preferred the .45lc to the .44mag.
                        Was a bit easier to handle overall. Could load up really hot .45 rounds that had the recoil of a moderate .44mag - but still get better distance and performance then the moderate .44. (or maybe it just mental - who knows).

                        If you have specific questions about 'em - could probably help more. The one thing I found you have to be careful with on 'em though - is when you open the gate on the cylinder and pop the retaining pin - do NOT let it close with the cylinder out. I made that mistake once and could NOT get it back open (to put the cyl back in) no matter what I did. Thought I broke the gun. Eventually got it open , but it took quite a bit of doing.

                        The one in the photo also looks like there's some damage to the finish - what is that?

                        The gun was my grandfathers, but he has past away and it got handed down to me. Not sure on the year of the gun. The finish is not in the best shape, it appears very stressed.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          JTROKS
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2007
                          • 13093

                          I'm thinking you have a "Pre Warning" and is that supposed to be a blued gun?
                          The wise man said just find your place
                          In the eye of the storm
                          Seek the roses along the way
                          Just beware of the thorns...
                          K. Meine

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            phillipjon
                            Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 266

                            Originally posted by JTROKS
                            I'm thinking you have a "Pre Warning" and is that supposed to be a blued gun?
                            I do not believe so, the finish just pitted.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              maxicon
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 4661

                              I've got a .357 BH, and it's a great gun - my second favorite .357, after my S&W 586. I did the poor boy trigger job and it's got a very light, easily reversible trigger pull.

                              I've often thought about the mod where you can spin the cylinder backwards, as passing a chamber by a little bit means you have to spin all the way around to it again, but it's never made it to a high priority.
                              sigpic
                              NRA Life Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1