Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Getting started - handgun shooting the proper way

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Requiem
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 1725

    Getting started - handgun shooting the proper way

    So up until now I've really only shot rifles without the chance to learn the correct ways to shoot handguns. I'm wondering if someone can give me some pointers and web links for helping me get started on the right track without developing bad habits when I do end up shooting for my first time at the range. I'm interested in the tactical marksmanship mostly (human silhouette targets) but what other type of shooting is there?
    .
  • #2
    Dangerous1
    Member
    • May 2009
    • 263

    Use the pad of your pointer finger and not the joint.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

    Comment

    • #3
      rkt88edmo
      Reptile&Samurai Moderator
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2002
      • 10064

      google todd jarrett he has some online vids.
      If it was a snake, it would have bit me.
      Use the goog to search calguns

      Comment

      • #4
        Sam
        Calguns Addict
        CGN Contributor
        • Jul 2008
        • 5205

        Take a class from an instructor that is qualified. The information and skills that were introduced were the best use of my money to date concerning firearms.

        Comment

        • #5
          B Strong
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2009
          • 6367

          Originally posted by Requiem
          So up until now I've really only shot rifles without the chance to learn the correct ways to shoot handguns. I'm wondering if someone can give me some pointers and web links for helping me get started on the right track without developing bad habits when I do end up shooting for my first time at the range. I'm interested in the tactical marksmanship mostly (human silhouette targets) but what other type of shooting is there?

          Go to Ebay and get one of the Front Sight first timer 4 day pistol class certificates and get some professional instruction right out of the gate.

          Getting a foot up on skills development will help you immensely.
          The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
          ___________________________________________
          "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
          - Jeff Cooper

          Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

          Comment

          • #6
            kermit315
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2007
            • 5931

            what everybody else said. if you get instruction now, you wont have as many bad habits to try to break later.

            Comment

            • #7
              Greg-Dawg
              Banned
              • Oct 2006
              • 7793

              Take a class. Start out with Basic Handgun and work your way up.

              Comment

              • #8
                AMERBOY
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2008
                • 68

                best thing i ever did was take a basic handgun class.learn the right way and you wont get into any real bad habits.

                Comment

                • #9
                  barrym66
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 2228

                  Originally posted by B Strong
                  Go to Ebay and get one of the Front Sight first timer 4 day pistol class certificates and get some professional instruction right out of the gate.

                  Getting a foot up on skills development will help you immensely.
                  +1 on this - I attended Front Sight in early April and it was by far the best money I've ever spent, skills-wise. I'm going back in June for the next class.

                  If you are interested, I have a few first-timer (white) certificates that I'll be selling here shortly for $200. Good for the 4-day handgun, shotgun, or rifle courses (or 2x, 2 day courses). PM me if interested.

                  Barry
                  Barry

                  sigpic

                  "Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

                  Thomas Jefferson

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Requiem
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 1725

                    I don't feel like driving all the way to Las Vegas. Front Sight sounds great and all but it's way too far away and way too expensive. It also seems kind of scam-like...

                    The guy giving away 4 day handgun courses and a whole **** ton of stuff including a new springfield xd (overall worth $4,000) for only $1200?

                    I don't know. I'm just gonna get a handgun and have a friend who's developed good shooting habits teach me. Or find a cheap basic handgun course that will show me the essentials to develop good handgun habits.
                    .

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      barrym66
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 2228

                      Originally posted by Requiem
                      I don't feel like driving all the way to Las Vegas. Front Sight sounds great and all but it's way too far away and way too expensive. It also seems kind of scam-like...

                      The guy giving away 4 day handgun courses and a whole **** ton of stuff including a new springfield xd (overall worth $4,000) for only $1200?

                      I don't know. I'm just gonna get a handgun and have a friend who's developed good shooting habits teach me. Or find a cheap basic handgun course that will show me the essentials to develop good handgun habits.
                      I felt the same way before I attended, but sice the class cost was only $200 (I bought a white cert on Ebay), I gave it a try. My total cost was about $750 all up (hotel, class cert, 800 rounds of ammo, food and gas from San Diego). There were people from all over the US and 6 people from Italy, Canada, and England in my class of 40 people.

                      Regardless, taking a class, any class, is better than just going to the range and plinking away.

                      +1 to you for taking the intelligent approach and asking for advice first - good luck and good learning!

                      Barry
                      Barry

                      sigpic

                      "Environmentalists look at the gun, the car and the jet engine as instruments of Satan, but the mosquito has killed more than all three put together." Jeremy Clarkson, on the green movement

                      Thomas Jefferson

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        B Strong
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 6367

                        Originally posted by Requiem
                        I don't feel like driving all the way to Las Vegas. Front Sight sounds great and all but it's way too far away and way too expensive. It also seems kind of scam-like...

                        The guy giving away 4 day handgun courses and a whole **** ton of stuff including a new springfield xd (overall worth $4,000) for only $1200?

                        I don't know. I'm just gonna get a handgun and have a friend who's developed good shooting habits teach me. Or find a cheap basic handgun course that will show me the essentials to develop good handgun habits.

                        I've gone, I've trained, I enjoyed myself. Buy a certificate from someone on Ebay with mucho positive feedback, or the gentleman who posted above offering the certificate for $200.00.

                        It's not so long a trip as you'd think, rooms aren't that expensive.You're biggest cost is the case of ammo you'll go through, and you can even rent Glocks on site and leave the cleaning to the FS staff.
                        The way some gunshop clerks spout off, you'd think that they invented gunpowder and the repeating rifle, and sat on the Supreme Court as well.
                        ___________________________________________
                        "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
                        - Jeff Cooper

                        Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          dchang0
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 2772

                          Suarez Int'l does plenty of handgun classes in Calif. esskay turned me on to them, and I had a lot of fun at the last class. I have also seen classes in progress at various local indoor ranges such as On Target down in Laguna Niguel.

                          But, if you don't want to take a course in person, there are plenty of videos from reputable trainers online. Basically, keep your grip "high-tang" (as high up the buttstrap as possible), wrap as much of your support hand onto the remaining portions of the grip as possible, keep your thumbs high along the slide, don't put your support hand index finger on the outside of the trigger guard, extend your arms out fully in a locked-elbow isoceles with a martial-arts-type active stance (slight lean forward into the gun to absorb recoil) and use just the pad of your finger on the trigger.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            WyoDuner
                            Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 161

                            If you are not interested in the class I'll offer this. Just my opinion....

                            1. Find the RIGHT handgun for you. If you can afford it, start with a nice .22 - Ruger Mark III, Buckmark or Baretta U22 Neos are great choices. You can shoot LOTS of CHEAP ammo and everyone should have a .22 pistol anyways. Get a defensive/larger caliber later.

                            2. Make sure the gun is sighted in correctly. Either by carefull target shooting or with the help from an experienced friend. Once you know the gun shoots where it is aimed you can work on shooting skils - not before. How would you know if it's you or the gun missing the target???

                            3. Practice aiming and trigger control by shooting groups on paper from a rest. Take it slow - aim, exhale partially, slowly squeeze the trigger. When the gun fires it should be almost a surprise. You want to gradually apply trigger pressure until it fires - no jerking. Just liek with rifle shooting.

                            4. Shoot groups on paper from a standng position. Be prepared to be disapointed in the group size vs your groups from a rest. Let your groups size from a rest be your goal for groups size shot from standing position. Shoot slow and focus on holding the pistol steady. This is hard and takes practice. Increase your pace as you become more proficient being careful not to jerk the trigger.

                            5. Go to an outdoor range with pistol steel targets. Work on hitting every one you aim at. Then do it faster and faster.

                            6. Get a friend and teach him how to shoot a pistol.....
                            sigpic
                            NRA Member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Rob Roy
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 1261

                              Originally posted by rkt88edmo
                              google todd jarrett he has some online vids.
                              +1 on that. Go to youtube and search his name. His stuff is really good.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1