Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Browning BDM - first impressions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    B2D
    Member
    • Aug 2018
    • 468

    Thought I'd report back after a bit:

    I've put about 150 rounds through this gun since I've had it. Here's the pros and cons that I've experienced so far:

    Pros:
    • Love the grip, super comfortable, thin, ergonomic. Like a slimmed Hi-Power.
    • Easy takedown and cleaning, similar to most modern 9mm's.
    • No malfunctions at all when feeding/extracting.
    • Manual of arms concerning the safety is a little unusual but easy to get used to.
    • Lots of 'what's that?' factor at the range.


    Cons:
    • Spare parts can be had from only 1-2 specific sources online.
    • Stock sights ain't that good.
    • Gun shoots 2" low at 10 yards. Experienced instructor and I had the same experience... it's likely the sights.


    If I can get the gun shooting level instead of low, and get the trigger feeling nicer I think I may have a keeper. I'm taking it to a contact of mine who is a qualified gunsmith.

    Personally I'd like to get a new set of sights but I can find NOTHING other than replacements for the stock units. Getting something made may or may not be within budget.

    The fact that I can't easily play with the parts kind of bugs me because I like trying out stuff like that.

    I'll get the trigger and POI sorted and then see if i still wanna keep it. If not, then I'll likely sell it.
    Last edited by B2D; 03-05-2020, 9:51 PM.

    Comment

    • #32
      -hanko
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Jul 2002
      • 14174

      Originally posted by B2D
      Thought I'd report back after a bit:


      Cons:
      • Stock sights ain't that good. The dots don't line up perfectly when the tops of the sights are even.
      • Gun shoots 2" low at 10 yards. Experienced instructor and I had the same experience... it's likely the sights.
      • Mags eject lazily and don't 'pop' out like my other pistols do.
      • Trigger feels a little mushy and has a little too much takeup compared to something like a Beretta.


      If I can get the gun shooting level instead of low, and get the trigger feeling nicer I think I may have a keeper. I'm taking it to a contact of mine who is a qualified gunsmith.

      Personally I'd like to get a new set of sights but I can find NOTHING other than replacements for the stock units. Getting something made may or may not be within budget.

      The fact that I can't easily play with the parts kind of bugs me because I like trying out stuff like that.

      I'll get the trigger and POI sorted and then see if i still wanna keep it. If not, then I'll likely sell it.
      Can the smith either recut sight notches, or modify a new set of sights to fit the pistol?

      If the trigger is similar to a Hi-Power, it uses a transfer bar linkage...adjusting that trigger does take experience.

      If the BDM has a magazine safety, see if removing it gives you faster mag drops.

      Sorry for all the "if's"...although I test fired one when they first came out, I didn't take it home with me.
      True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

      Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

      Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

      A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

      Comment

      • #33
        B2D
        Member
        • Aug 2018
        • 468

        Originally posted by -hanko
        Can the smith either recut sight notches, or modify a new set of sights to fit the pistol?

        If the trigger is similar to a Hi-Power, it uses a transfer bar linkage...adjusting that trigger does take experience.

        If the BDM has a magazine safety, see if removing it gives you faster mag drops.

        Sorry for all the "if's"...although I test fired one when they first came out, I didn't take it home with me.
        I'm having a local pistolsmith work on the trigger right now.

        I was handling the pistol the other night before I turned it in for work and I think the lazy mag eject may have been poor handling on my part. I think part of the butt of my palm was dragging on the edge of the magazine just a little bit. However even then I have to press the button hard and fast for the mag to drop quickly and it's not a very 'crisp' eject.

        The trigger and POI are priority at the moment.

        I'll keep folks updated as progress is made.

        Comment

        • #34
          Calif Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • 3323

          Are you using the dots to align the sights or the top of the front post even with the top of the rear sight? One or the other might be the "proper" one for point of aim to match point of impact? Just a thought.

          Comment

          • #35
            B2D
            Member
            • Aug 2018
            • 468

            Originally posted by Calif Hunter
            Are you using the dots to align the sights or the top of the front post even with the top of the rear sight? One or the other might be the "proper" one for point of aim to match point of impact? Just a thought.
            The latter, top-to-top. As I'm getting back into shooting more I find that I tend to prefer blacked-out rears and a high-contrast front.

            The dots on these are simple white paint or plastic... as I said not great sights. If I can get the trigger and POA/I sorted I may have some sights I like better made for it. We'll see.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1