Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Glock 19 gen 3 holster??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hyperrex8
    Member
    • Jun 2009
    • 198

    Glock 19 gen 3 holster??

    My bu boy is thinking about starting to do some shooting comps, just for funs! I'm looking for a holster for him but I can't make the decision on which one, can somebody help me out? I was looking at the blackhawk serpa but I'm getting good and feedback on them, they look great to me! Please help!!#
  • #2
    DT556
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Mar 2011
    • 3671

    A Serpa is the absolute worst holster you can buy.

    Comment

    • #3
      hyperrex8
      Member
      • Jun 2009
      • 198

      Any recommendations?

      Comment

      • #4
        instaramen
        Member
        • May 2019
        • 383

        I use the Ragnarok holster from T-Rex Arms on my rig. Holds my glock real snug and clears my rmr. Good for competition or duty use IMO.

        Comment

        • #5
          hyperrex8
          Member
          • Jun 2009
          • 198

          Any thoughts on the bladetech total eclipse holster?

          Comment

          • #6
            Trapper
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2007
            • 2159

            I prefer a standard Blade Tech holster with the Tech Lock clip. The total eclipse covers more of the slide than I would want for a competition holster. If he’s never shot competition before I would recommend attending a match as an observer to get an idea of the gear other shooters are using.
            When the battle drum beats, it is too late to sharpen your sword."
            Sir Winston Churchill

            Comment

            • #7
              Mustard
              Senior Member
              • May 2013
              • 563

              Originally posted by instaramen
              I use the Ragnarok holster from T-Rex Arms on my rig. Holds my glock real snug and clears my rmr. Good for competition or duty use IMO.
              I have a ragnarok. There's a bit of the holster that interferes with getting your firing hand on the grip in one motion. It's where all the screws are on the holster, that little "fin" that sticks out, right under the trigger guard on the gun. That said, you can train to be fast with it. I was doing dry practice draws tonight and am down to 0.8 seconds easy

              Comment

              • #8
                baranski
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2015
                • 3852

                ZZZ Custom holsters are great and veteran built!
                Originally posted by ACfixer
                there's plenty of sissies and snitches roaming the hallways here.

                Comment

                • #9
                  bigger hammer
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 2135

                  I favor JM Custom Kydex. I use both their OWB and IWB holsters.
                  And who comes to our aid in times of peril? Sometimes, it is the police or first responders; other times it is healthcare professionals; and sometimes it is family, friends, or neighbors. Sometimes, it is no one."... - U.S. District Judge Stephen McGlynn.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    OCEquestrian
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2017
                    • 6905

                    Originally posted by hyperrex8
                    My bu boy is thinking about starting to do some shooting comps, just for funs! I'm looking for a holster for him but I can't make the decision on which one, can somebody help me out? I was looking at the blackhawk serpa but I'm getting good and feedback on them, they look great to me! Please help!!#
                    Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                    The SERPA is a dogsh#t holster.

                    Competitions have different rules so you'll need to be more specific about which organization you wish to participate in.


                    "Trigger fingers are just that, for the trigger. I think it should remain straight and have one function, to index the trigger." -Paul Howe

                    "a trigger finger paddle release holster is asking for trouble." -Larry Vickers

                    "Anybody can get away with safe handling of a SERPA holster under a non-duress situation... But under stress, it becomes very dangerous because of what our body naturally does. … You are going to tense up and if you go for that gun quickly, especially in a transition situation, five out of 10 guys will have a problem." -Travis Haley

                    "I do not recommend these style holsters and I'm debating not allowing them in class due to safety. The amount of AD's with this holster related to design which I've personally witnessed is crazy, and they all end with the person shot. Specifically the trigger release model is the holster I don't like due to safety... I have seem that mechanism lock up in dirty environments as well". -Chris Costa

                    "We have decided to ban the use of Serpa style holsters due the higher chance of negligent discharges during the draw stroke." -Jeff Gonzales

                    "We have guys roll around in the dirt, and when they get up, they can't transition to their pistol. The pistol is stuck in the holster. I've seen it happen at least five times in my classes" -Kyle Lamb

                    "Whoever chose this piece of s**t to be issued to anyone- you’re an inexperienced pistol shooter who has no common sense. Hope you got a decent kickback from Blackhawk." -Kyle Defoor

                    "The SERPA does nothing that other holsters cannot do as well or better. So you’re getting greater risk for no greater reward." -Todd Green
                    As usual Hopetonbrown nailed it with competition advice. The OP really d0es need to tells us what kind of competition before we can offer advice. IDPA and USPSA/IPSC are two different disciplines and require discipline specific gear.

                    Originally posted by baranski
                    ZZZ Custom holsters are great and veteran built!
                    For IDPA I can second ZZZ holsters heavy duty Kydex friction holsters. They are what I use. When I got my first VP9 back in 2014, no one was making holsters for them and ZZZ was reasonably local to me and willing to let me come over and wait while the holster was made right off my gun. He has been my kydex guy ever since. And kydex friction holster will suffice for a beginner in USPSA in the limited class is suspect. If the boy likes the sport and is successful , he will want the advantages of task specific USPSA proven gear.

                    I would advise putting the kid then a couple basic tactical pistol classes with a recognized and competent school/instructor. Set the kid up for success by giving him a sound foundation in the basics of handgun marksmanship, manipulation and safe movement with a handgun. It will ensure that he is safe and give him the confidence in competition that he needs for success.

                    Just my two cents ...
                    Last edited by OCEquestrian; 12-08-2019, 7:17 AM.
                    "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue." ----Sen. Barry Goldwater

                    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

                    NRA life member
                    SAF life member
                    CRPA member

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      damon1272
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 4857

                      Blade tech, uncle mikes, safari land all make good holsters. Fobus is are a bit too flexible.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        H3nchman
                        Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 391

                        Safariland 7378. Light compatible. Can be used without a light. Retention. And if you get at 17 or 34 later it will work. Totally recommend that holster
                        Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
                        ~Erwin Rommel

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          enorbit3
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 2656

                          Safari land with retention if he’s going to be running around and transitioning from rifle to pistol. I use mine on a G Code drop leg platform.

                          For IDPA something without retention. I use a safari land paddle style.
                          LAPD CCW Timeline:
                          Application Sent/Rec'd - 10/11/22
                          Interview Scheduled - 2/20/22
                          Interview & Live Scan- 2/21/22
                          DOJ/FBI - 2/22/23
                          CCW Training - 2/25/23
                          Firearms - 3/1/23
                          LAPD CCW Approval Call - 3/20/23
                          CCW Permit Issued/picked up - 4/11/23

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Citadelgrad87
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Mar 2007
                            • 16976

                            Originally posted by OCEquestrian
                            As usual Hopetonbrown nailed it with competition advice. The OP really d0es need to tells us what kind of competition before we can offer advice. IDPA and USPSA/IPSC are two different disciplines and require discipline specific gear.



                            For IDPA I can second ZZZ holsters heavy duty Kydex friction holsters. They are what I use. When I got my first VP9 back in 2014, no one was making holsters for them and ZZZ was reasonably local to me and willing to let me come over and wait while the holster was made right off my gun. He has been my kydex guy ever since. And kydex friction holster will suffice for a beginner in USPSA in the limited class is suspect. If the boy likes the sport and is successful , he will want the advantages of task specific USPSA proven gear.

                            I would advise putting the kid then a couple basic tactical pistol classes with a recognized and competent school/instructor. Set the kid up for success by giving him a sound foundation in the basics of handgun marksmanship, manipulation and safe movement with a handgun. It will ensure that he is safe and give him the confidence in competition that he needs for success.

                            Just my two cents ...
                            I asked a similar question and iirc ir was ocequestrian who pointed me at zzz.

                            I am vety happy with my heavy duty model for my g19, although i havent shot it in competition yet.
                            Originally posted by tony270
                            It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
                            Originally posted by repubconserv
                            Print it out and frame it for all I care
                            Originally posted by el chivo
                            I don't need to think at all..
                            Originally posted by pjsig
                            You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
                            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1