Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Off Roster Gun Purchase

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • trampis
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Jan 2013
    • 960

    Off Roster Gun Purchase

    First and foremost this is a fubar of my own fault. I purchased a Kimber Eclipse Custom from a Gunbroker seller thinking it was On Roster but I was mistaken and it's the Custom "II" that's On Roster. I won't go into a rant about wtf is the difference but that's of no difference now.

    Payment has been sent and the gun has been shipped to my local FFL. Of course he informs me that it's Off Roster and needs to be shipped back.

    I've emailed the seller and no response for 2 days as of today. He's back east in Pennsylvania.

    IS THERE ANY WAY FOR ME TO KEEP THIS GUN?

    And has anyone else experienced this with Gunbroker and if so, how have you resolved it with the seller?

    Thanks~

    Mike F.
    sigpicDo you feel lucky?
  • #2
    LongLiveTheRepublic
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2018
    • 625

    Kinda too late for a refund, the seller did his part of the bargain. Maybe you can sell it to the FFL or resell it out of state.

    Comment

    • #3
      kemasa
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jun 2005
      • 10706

      You can keep it by moving out of state, becoming a LEO, or becoming a FFL (but it can only remain in inventory).
      Kemasa.
      False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

      Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

      Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

      Comment

      • #4
        G. Freeman
        Member
        • Dec 2007
        • 421

        You're in a pickle. Definitely you cannot dros it. Give the seller some time to respond. You will lose from return shipping and restocking fees at least.

        If all else fails, the FFL may be able to sell it to LEO for you. Or u can place an ad for out of state sale but you will have to pay your FFL their fees.

        Good luck.

        Comment

        • #5
          Milsurp1
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2016
          • 3091

          There are a few posts on this. Essentially find an exempt buyer or post it for sale to out of state buyers. I would expect your FFL to charge to ship it to out of state FFL. Consider asking Lock Stock and Barrel in Simi to sell for you.

          Comment

          • #6
            kemasa
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jun 2005
            • 10706

            Originally posted by trampis
            First and foremost this is a fubar of my own fault. I purchased a Kimber Eclipse Custom from a Gunbroker seller thinking it was On Roster but I was mistaken and it's the Custom "II" that's On Roster. I won't go into a rant about wtf is the difference but that's of no difference now.
            It is CA. Changing the grips, the color, engraving it all makes a gun on the list no longer considered to be on the list. Some day the lawsuit will hopefully toss the law out.

            Payment has been sent and the gun has been shipped to my local FFL. Of course he informs me that it's Off Roster and needs to be shipped back.

            Shipping back is only an option if the seller accepts it. The seller did what they said, it was your responsibility to ensure that you could transfer it. An out of state seller doesn't know CA law and shouldn't have to.

            I've emailed the seller and no response for 2 days as of today. He's back east in Pennsylvania.



            IS THERE ANY WAY FOR ME TO KEEP THIS GUN?



            And has anyone else experienced this with Gunbroker and if so, how have you resolved it with the seller?
            It isn't a matter of resolving it with the seller. The seller may not want to deal with it as is their right. Look at the return policy and see what options they gave you in advance.

            If the seller has a no return policy, then you need to arrange to sell/ship the gun out of state or have a CA exempt buyer purchase it, but the FFL who received it is likely to have a concern about a buyer that you find being a straw purchaser.

            It can be a costly mistake, but a lesson learned.
            Kemasa.
            False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

            Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

            Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

            Comment

            • #7
              Milsurp1
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2016
              • 3091

              Another word of caution. If an exempt buyer in California does buy that gun, I would not under any circumstances buy the gun from him, even well into the future. As Kemasa pointed out, there would always be a suspicion of a straw purchase.

              Comment

              • #8
                trampis
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                • Jan 2013
                • 960

                So a LEO can purchase the gun from my FFL (who's currently holding the gun) even though it's not dros'd?

                And you are all correct, I would definitely stay away from this gun for myself now.

                I'll have to see if the seller is willing to give me a refund (minus $$ for his time and trouble). If not then the other suggestions would have to work.

                Is there a time limit for my FFL to be holding onto the gun?

                Thanks everyone for all the replies. Yes, a very costly lesson learned for me.
                sigpicDo you feel lucky?

                Comment

                • #9
                  JTROKS
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 13093

                  I did the same thing a long time ago. I won the auction for a S&W Model 10 without checking which dash model 10 is on the roster. I could’ve done a SA conversion, but the FFL I was talking to wanted an arm and a leg for the transfer and conversion. Short story, the seller had a couple of unkind words for me and this state, but he let me off the hook like a mud sucker.
                  The wise man said just find your place
                  In the eye of the storm
                  Seek the roses along the way
                  Just beware of the thorns...
                  K. Meine

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Milsurp1
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • 3091

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kemasa
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jun 2005
                      • 10706

                      Originally posted by trampis
                      So a LEO can purchase the gun from my FFL (who's currently holding the gun) even though it's not dros'd?
                      Yes, they are exempt from the certified list.


                      And you are all correct, I would definitely stay away from this gun for myself now.

                      I'll have to see if the seller is willing to give me a refund (minus $$ for his time and trouble). If not then the other suggestions would have to work.

                      Is there a time limit for my FFL to be holding onto the gun?
                      It is completely up to the FFL. Storage charges might apply or they might not want to hold it at all.

                      Thanks everyone for all the replies. Yes, a very costly lesson learned for me.
                      Kemasa.
                      False signature edited by Paul: Banned from the FFL forum due to being rude and insulting. Doing this continues his abuse.

                      Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

                      Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        trampis
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 960

                        Contacted the seller and he was very understanding but he wanted too much to make it worth his while. I contacted my FFL and he's willing to sit on it until he and I can figure something out.

                        Lesson learned. Stick to Calguns

                        Any LEO's or out of state peeps out there looking for a Kimber Eclipse Custom 10mm????
                        sigpicDo you feel lucky?

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          GM4spd
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2008
                          • 5682

                          Feel bad for your situation. This state is so out of it. The “Roster” is about the worst of it. Does nothing to stop or reduce crime but we already know this.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SkyHawk
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Sep 2012
                            • 23531

                            Originally posted by trampis
                            First and foremost this is a fubar of my own fault. I purchased a Kimber Eclipse Custom from a Gunbroker seller thinking it was On Roster but I was mistaken
                            Tale as old as time. Trying to buy roster guns from out of state isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
                            Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              trampis
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 960

                              EXACTLY!!!
                              sigpicDo you feel lucky?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1