Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

J-Frame Grip Shopping

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • vinny_land
    CGN Contributor
    • Dec 2007
    • 3374

    J-Frame Grip Shopping

    Hello everyone,
    Have a vintage S&W Model 60 in jail and it had these full size rubber grips on it (no brand on it). I want to go with a compact setup and did a quick search considered the Hogue G10, VZ Grips, and Altamont. Saw that quality control on Pachmayr has diminished.

    Wanted to know what others have recommended. I understand grips are a personal taste (just look at the 1911 platform) and any brand to avoid would be helpful.

    Thanks in advance!!!
    Vinny
    "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

    sigpic
  • #2
    sigstroker
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2009
    • 19893

    Are you going to carry it? The same Hogue boot grip type that comes from S&W on the new guns is fine, although you might look at the wood ones because the rubber ones hang up on clothing.

    Comment

    • #3
      vinny_land
      CGN Contributor
      • Dec 2007
      • 3374

      ^Yes I plan to carry in the future. Will look into wood or G10 to prevent hang ups.
      "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

      sigpic

      Comment

      • #4
        SkyHawk
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2012
        • 23531

        The 3 brands you mentioned are all excellent. They are all OEM grip makers for the largest brands. I would not hesitate to buy grips from any of them (and I have from all of them on many occasions). It just comes down to style/color/material preference.
        Click here for my iTrader Feedback thread: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...r-feedback-100

        Comment

        • #5
          sealocan
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2012
          • 9956

          Now since this is an older vintage you're probably looking for something that looks good like real stag horn or possibly that legal "bonded ivory", maybe even some exotic wood type grips that fit on a J frame but if this is going to be used in a practical defensive way you might think about laser grips from a quality maker like Crimson Trace.

          I believe they make at least two different sizes for the J frame and the smaller one is very similar to the small black rubber-like Smith & Wesson Style grips that are currently issued on J frames.

          Yes it'll set you back around $100 but it'll still be about as small as a grip as you can get plus you get the advantages (and minor disadvantages, like battery replacement) of a laser.

          With a pistol like a J frame you need lots of training to become accurate and a laser can help with training and possibly give you an edge if you're in a self-defense situation and you cannot line up your sights.

          Just my two cents worth.
          Last edited by sealocan; 09-23-2019, 9:52 AM.

          Comment

          • #6
            vinny_land
            CGN Contributor
            • Dec 2007
            • 3374

            Originally posted by sealocan
            Now since this is an older vintage you're probably looking for something that looks good like real stag horn or possibly that legal "bonded ivory", maybe even some exotic wood type grips that fit on a J frame what if this is going to be used in a practical defensive way you might think about laser grips from equality maker like Crimson Trace.

            I believe they have two different sizes for the J frame and the smaller one is very similar to the small black rubber Smith & Wesson Style groups that are currently issued on J frames.

            Yes it'll set you back around $100 but it'll still be about as small as a grip as you can get plus you get the advantages (and minor disadvantages, like battery replacement) of a laser.

            With a pistol like a J frame you need lots of training to become accurate and a laser can help with training and possibly give you an edge if you're in a self-defense situation and you cannot line up your sights.

            Just my two cents worth.
            Yes the bonded ivory offering and nice wood would look great on a stainless j-frame. After shooting my buddy's 642 a bunch of times, I made the plunge and found a vintage model 60. Deliberate practice and adjusting trigger pull is key.
            "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

            sigpic

            Comment

            • #7
              pd5190
              Member
              • Mar 2008
              • 203

              I replaced the factory wood grips on mine since it was hard to shoot with that little bit of wood, and put on some Hoque rubber grips and they made all the difference in the world. Shoot it with what it has and see if they work for you. I find function over aesthetics is important.

              Comment

              • #8
                FeuerFrei
                Calguns Addict
                • Aug 2008
                • 7455

                If this is a first belly gun then I suggest the OP shoot it as is and discover why the big rubber grips are already on there.

                Going minimal on the grips in order to make it more compact usually translates to "more unshootable" condition. Accuracy wise anyway.

                Hogue has been my go to grip brand. They always held up and gave good purchase.

                Comment

                • #9
                  TonyMang_89
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 844

                  Put the VZ 320 G10 on my 442 . No complaints , not as forgiving as the hogue runner grips but then again it's not a range gun.


                  WTB SKS
                  Winchester Model 12, 1200 or 1300
                  older 870 Wingmasters in 12 or 20 gauge in SoCal/IE

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Barbarosa
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 2166

                    Altamonts look and feel great, but they go cheap on the mounting hardware. I've had a couple Altamonts and both got corrosion in the mounting screw. I ultimately ended up with oversized Hogues on my 60 pro - necessary with .357 rounds.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      dfletcher
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 14811

                      FWIW I use plain S&W factory wood stocks and a BK Grip adapter.

                      GOA Member & SAF Life Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Kestryll
                        Head Janitor
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 21613

                        I have tried probably 30 different types of grips for my Model 60 and 638 over the years, always trying to find the 'best'.

                        The ones I like are:
                        The Eagle Secret Service grips.
                        I like the smooth Rosewood but that's a personal choice.



                        The Pachmayr Compac Professional.
                        The Professional version NOT the basic Compac! Pro is thinner and fits my hand better.



                        I currently have the Altamont Boot Grip on my 638 and the Altamont Combat on my 60. Since I don't carry the Model 60 I kind of wish i'd have gone with the Bateleur for the enclosed backstrap.

                        The S&W J Frame Round Butt grips by Altamont® are available in 8 different styles -Classic Panel, Fingergroove, Boot, and more to suit any hand size.


                        Chances are I've tried whatever you're looking at, including that freaking ridiculous Ergo Delta grip which I wouldn't even give to an enemy.
                        sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
                        Calguns.net an incorported entity - President.
                        The Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc. - Vice President.
                        The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
                        DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
                        Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Kestryll
                          Head Janitor
                          • Oct 2005
                          • 21613

                          Originally posted by dfletcher
                          FWIW I use plain S&W factory wood stocks and a BK Grip adapter.

                          http://www.bkgrips.com/
                          Interesting, it's like a synthetic version of the old aluminum Tyler T Grip.
                          sigpic NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA Life Member / SAF Life Member
                          Calguns.net an incorported entity - President.
                          The Calguns Shooting Sports Assoc. - Vice President.
                          The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
                          DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
                          Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            'ol shooter
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2011
                            • 4646

                            My 442 is a bedside gun so I wanted a lasergrip. The Crimson Trace is comfortable. Just my $ .02
                            sigpic
                            Bob B.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(")

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              DanGunner
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2017
                              • 1224

                              I have six snubbies, 3 Rugers and 3 S&W, and they all wear Pachmyrs for a reason. You need all the rubber grip you can get when firing such light pistols, especially when you are shooting .38, .357 or 9 mm. Your hands will appreciate it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1