Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Python Shedding

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cakebaker916
    Member
    • Jan 2014
    • 429

    Python Shedding

    I sold a nice 4" Python shooter about a year ago, and soon after the seller's remorse kicked in. I picked up this 6" shooter to fill the void, but it didn't quite measure up.

    IMG_20190222_144422583-800x600.jpg

    For me the 4" balanced better, and it was in much better shape (visually). I don't mind some honest character, but the 6" has some serious holster wear running through the length of the barrel. I entertained the idea of sending it out for a refinish, but I really didn't want to invest anymore into the 6" barrel that I wasn't fond of. I thought about swapping one of the 4" barrels in my parts bin, but then I would be kicking myself even more for selling the original 4". Time to get creative...

    IMG_20190524_153134044-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20190524_153014165-800x600.jpg

    I had Craig Maraviov concoct this 3" California Combat barrel sans the markings (I actually dig the sleeper look). The balance I was missing with the 6" barrel is definitely back, and I would say it feels even better than the 4". Not sure if I want to remove the original grips and set them aside with the 6" barrel, or give them a bit of a touch up and leave them on. Either way, I will shoot the heck out of it!

    IMG_20190523_153219-800x600.jpg
    IMG_20190523_153107-800x600.jpg
  • #2
    hambam105
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2013
    • 7083

    Four Inch definitely.

    Oddly enough, when you have a blue one and a nickel one together at the same time it isn't an easy choice.

    Have you seen the late 1950s early 1960s Colt Troopers?

    Comment

    • #3
      cakebaker916
      Member
      • Jan 2014
      • 429

      Originally posted by hambam105
      Have you seen the late 1950s early 1960s Colt Troopers?
      Not in person. I believe they're the same internally as a Python or very similar?

      Comment

      • #4
        D1911
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2005
        • 1085

        Very cool. Craig did an excellent job on it (as usual!).

        Comment

        • #5
          John Browning
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2006
          • 8089

          Originally posted by cakebaker916
          Not in person. I believe they're the same internally as a Python or very similar?
          They're quite different.

          However, you can get a Colt Officer's Model .38, which is pretty much the Python action with just as much hand fitting, for around $500 if you shop around.

          The Python, hate to say it, is a way over-rated action. They are neither robust nor super slick when you look at what they cost. I say that as a Colt fan. They look cool, though.
          For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

          For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

          Originally posted by KWalkerM
          eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

          Comment

          • #6
            cakebaker916
            Member
            • Jan 2014
            • 429

            Originally posted by D1911
            Very cool. Craig did an excellent job on it (as usual!).
            Yes he did, and thanks for the input from our PM's awhile back!

            Comment

            • #7
              cakebaker916
              Member
              • Jan 2014
              • 429

              Originally posted by John Browning
              They're quite different.
              My mistake. I was confusing the trooper with the Colt 357, which did precede the python.

              Comment

              • #8
                hambam105
                Calguns Addict
                • Jan 2013
                • 7083

                I heard it before. Pythons ain't worth it. Okay. But I'm still going to shoot and proudly own mine thank you.
                A bad purchase decision I intend to make again, gladly.

                A big mistake I made was being satisfied with a just a Python and undervaluing the 1950s Troopers
                and earlier Official Police Colt Revolvers. Shotgun News couldn't give those Colts away for about 17 or 18 years.

                Comment

                • #9
                  nickel plate
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 2134

                  Not seeing your Python in person and basing my observance on your photos, the barrel's bluing looks to be a perfect match to the remaining original Colt finish.
                  Did you have a whole new refinishing or just the new barrel?

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    cakebaker916
                    Member
                    • Jan 2014
                    • 429

                    Originally posted by nickel plate
                    Not seeing your Python in person and basing my observance on your photos, the barrel's bluing looks to be a perfect match to the remaining original Colt finish.
                    Did you have a whole new refinishing or just the new barrel?
                    Just the new barrel (with its original like new finish). I was pleasantly surprised how well it matched up. In person you can see the contrast between barrel and frame, but at first glance it'll fool you.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      John Browning
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2006
                      • 8089

                      Originally posted by hambam105
                      I heard it before. Pythons ain't worth it. Okay. But I'm still going to shoot and proudly own mine thank you.
                      A bad purchase decision I intend to make again, gladly.

                      A big mistake I made was being satisfied with a just a Python and undervaluing the 1950s Troopers
                      and earlier Official Police Colt Revolvers. Shotgun News couldn't give those Colts away for about 17 or 18 years.
                      Pythons are worth what they are worth because people will pay it. They're cool, they're beautiful, and they aren't being made anymore. That's why they get the money they do.

                      The lockwork is identical to pretty much any pre-1960 Colt. The whole "nothing is as smooth as a Python" is how you can tell you're talking to someone who hasn't handled many guns. S&Ws of the same era are every bit as nice if not nicer. The pre-war Colt's are slicker than the Python. I have an Officers Model from 1911 that is nicer than any Python I've shot, handled or owned. I think I paid $400 for it like 10 years ago. The early Colts are still a steal in value.
                      Last edited by John Browning; 05-25-2019, 11:16 AM.
                      For Sale: Off Roster Handgun Moving Sale

                      For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

                      Originally posted by KWalkerM
                      eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        trigger945
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Sep 2012
                        • 5795

                        Very nice!
                        One Way to Post Pics ********** How to Submit an iTrader Rating That Counts ********** Brass for Sale

                        AR's for Sale ********** Ammo for Sale ********** Accessories/Parts for Sale ********** Handguns for Sale

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1