Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Am I being unreasonable? ** UPDATE **

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Roering
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2014
    • 688

    Front page of his website says "fast turnaround".

    I guess "fast" can be a pretty subjective word.

    Please let us know how things turned out.

    Comment

    • #17
      splithoof
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2015
      • 6037

      I have learned over the years that good gunsmiths take a long time to turn around most projects. When I send a gun off to be customized, I put it in my mind that a year is to be expected, and anything shorter than that is a bonus. I would suggest you purchase another 1911 (a higher quality, semi-custom) if you can afford it, and not dwell on the Kimber while you wait. If after a full year has gone by without any updates, then it would be appropriate to initiate a return.

      Comment

      • #18
        P5Ret
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2010
        • 6395

        Originally posted by Roering
        Front page of his website says "fast turnaround".

        I guess "fast" can be a pretty subjective word.

        Please let us know how things turned out.
        Exactly!

        Comment

        • #19
          hunterb
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jun 2011
          • 3796

          I sent my 1911 to Alan Tanaka, who warned me he doesn't really do that kind of work anymore but we have family in common so he agreed to do it, and he warned me it would take a LONG, LONG time. I would be at the end of the line behind all the custom pistols he was building.

          It took 3 months. I paid when I picked up my gun.

          A year is just plain stupid, poor business practice, and inconsiderate beyond belief.
          Scratching Stan Chen off my list. Just kidding he was never on it.

          OP, get your gun back, send it to Cifaldi Customs, and you will have it back in a few months tops. Probably sooner. The Cifaldi Customs guy apprenticed under Will O'Hara, and lots of CalGunners are very very happy with his work. I will be sending him a Les Baer to work on in a few months when I save up enough scratch.
          Originally posted by johnthomas
          ...The hardest part getting rid of crap is getting started.

          Comment

          • #20
            dfletcher
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Dec 2006
            • 14810

            Originally posted by Broham85
            Hello Calgunners,

            I just wanted to vent on a situation and hear your thoughts.

            This is concerning a 1911 pistol that was sent to a known gunsmith for custom machine work.

            I was quoted a 6-7 month turnaround time and we're closing in on 1 year. I've always had to call for updates and I've been told "soon".

            Work has already been paid for.

            This is my only center fire pistol and I'm thinking the gunsmith should have contacted me when he was ready to start my project.

            Has anyone had this happen before? Is this standard practice or am I being overly anxious/ unreasonable?


            Please share your thoughts.

            Thanks!
            The only professions with a longer frame of reference for time than gunsmiths are geologists and anthropologists. That has been my experience for the past +40 years. Or as a gunsmith would put it - "just yesterday".

            Kidding aside, work can be done only so fast and they're often times dependent on others for a tool, part or material. There aren't enough of these guys around and they're usually single owner shops. My approach is to leave the gun or part and forget about it until I get a call back. I generally don't want someone hurrying their work on anything that puts about 40K CUP in my hands.
            GOA Member & SAF Life Member

            Comment

            • #21
              71MUSTY
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2014
              • 7029

              Originally posted by Broham85

              It was a Kimber Stainless Target 9mm for the RO Machine package.

              http://www.chencustom.com/machining/
              Oh now I understand, it's a Kimber, they are probably still laughing.

              Just Kidding OP, L-2 sounds spot on.
              Only slaves don't need guns

              Originally posted by epilepticninja
              Americans vs. Democrats
              We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


              We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.


              What doesn't kill me, better run

              Comment

              • #22
                divingin
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2015
                • 2522

                Originally posted by Broham85
                I was quoted a 6-7 month turnaround time and we're closing in on 1 year. I've always had to call for updates and I've been told "soon".

                Has anyone had this happen before? Is this standard practice or am I being overly anxious/ unreasonable?
                Don't know about "standard", but it's not uncommon in the custom work arena.

                I'd suggest calling often, and asking for a "remaining work to do" update, rather than just a time of completion. And ask where in the line of projects you are.

                Comment

                • #23
                  billkohatsu
                  Member
                  • Jun 2018
                  • 245

                  Never pay in full before the work is done.
                  In addition to losing importance priority (as happened to the OP), the customer lost all leverage if the work quality is lacking.
                  To the OP, just ask for your pistol and money back. If he decides he needs the money, he will complete the work quickly.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    tbc
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2011
                    • 5955

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Canucky
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 4265

                      The RO package is $1270.00 wow. Good luck OP, hope you get this sorted out.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        XDJYo
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 7100

                        I'm actually surprised. Stan Chen is well thought of in the gun community/1911 world.

                        That said, there are good 1911 smiths here. Cifaldi is one of them. Chuck Rogers is another as is Alan Tanaka.

                        OP-Hope you get your 1911 back (even if it is a Kimber. J/K!) and you get your gun completed to your satisfaction.
                        Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                        Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                        Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                        M&P 15 (Mine)

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          DArBad
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 3002

                          OP, I don't think you are being unreasonable. He took your full payment, then made you wait and wait and wait some more. In my book, that's being a douche bag.

                          I would suggest demand for a full refund of your money, and send your gun to someone else. I would suggest Bret Cifaldi. Kimbers are good guns by the way, its my favorite amongst the factory level 1911s.
                          Last edited by DArBad; 02-07-2019, 12:30 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            robert101
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 1997

                            I will add my 2 cents and say demand your money and gun back within 48 hours. This guy is B.S.'ing you that it takes a year to do work. He should have declined the work in the first place. Don't let him keep your money as though all is good. Demand a full return or else. Stan Chen is a no-go in my book for ever.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Broham85
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2015
                              • 594

                              Thanks for the advice guys. The website only had the pay now option and I assumed since he was reputable there wouldn't be an issue.

                              I know some of you said to wait, but I don't work like that. He received full payment and provided the time frame. The thing that gets me is that they didn't provide any updates. I've always had to initiate communication.

                              I sent an email demanding a refund and currently awaiting response.

                              I'll let you guys know what comes out of this.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                XDJYo
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Apr 2012
                                • 7100

                                Originally posted by Broham85
                                Thanks for the advice guys. The website only had the pay now option and I assumed since he was reputable there wouldn't be an issue.

                                I know some of you said to wait, but I don't work like that. He received full payment and provided the time frame. The thing that gets me is that they didn't provide any updates. I've always had to initiate communication.

                                I sent an email demanding a refund and currently awaiting response.

                                I'll let you guys know what comes out of this.
                                Hopefully everything is resolved quickly and painlessly for you.
                                Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & SA Professional Double Diamond Grips
                                Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
                                Springfield Armory XD9 4" Service Model (wifes).
                                M&P 15 (Mine)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1