Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

The Franken Colt

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • psango
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jul 2009
    • 1303

    The Franken Colt

    The Fraken Colt

    This gun started life as a 1991-A1 manufactured around 2000. The frame, slide and controls were originally black oxide. It came to me with the slide and frame seriously rusted and pitted. The original sights were a staked factory white dot front sight and a Novak 2 dot rear sight made for the colt sight cut.

    I had the entire gun refinished in Flat Black Cera Hyde by CCR refinishing. Brad also installed a set of Henie Slant Pro sight on the refinished slide, it came out very nice, but I wanted a two tone look. I sold that slide and bought the stainless one on Ebay. The Colt Stainless slide came with the Novak sight cuts and Novak night sights.

    I installed a Cylinder and Slide trigger, and a 3.5 lb. Cylinder and Slide matched hammer and sear. The hammer strut is the original colt. The main spring housing is an after market Colt metal one with a 23 lb. main spring. The hammer breaks at a clean 3.5 pounds. The sear spring came with the kit. The Beavertail came with the gun and has been refinished matt black.

    The original barrel has been replaced with a nickel barrel from a used 1991-A1 Colt. The bushing is the original colt but refinished, as is the G.I. guide rod and guide rod plug. It runs a 16lb Wolf recoil spring.

    All of the pins and misc. springs have been replaced with ones from an Ed Brown rebuild kit. The MIM slide stop (pictured here) and safety have been replaced with steel Ed Brown parts. I added the VZ grips and a set of Rosewood Colt grips (not shown). The serial number is redacted for privacy only.

    The new slide is series 70 the frame and barrel are series 80. I removed the series 80 parts from the frame and installed a spacer available from Brownells in the frame. The barrel hood on the series 80 barrel had to be fitted to the smaller series 70 slide opening.

    It probably cost more to do this than a new Colt Competition Model, but not on roster in CA. I think it turned out nice.

    Last edited by psango; 01-18-2019, 9:29 PM.
    Always remember to pillage before you burn.
  • #2
    HYPURR
    Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 465

    I'll Take It!

    I'll Take It!

    Spankin' Job. Love TT's. Best, Dave

    Comment

    • #3
      Spartan301
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jan 2013
      • 2048

      U.S. Army/Sgt./67N (Aviation/1st CAV DIV, FT. HOOD/2nd INF DIV, S. KOREA/NTC FLT DET, FT. IRWIN) Veteran '81-'86

      Comment

      • #4
        plumbum
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2010
        • 5394

        Wow - it may not have been the most direct path but it sure turned out beautiful!
        Originally posted by ysr_racer
        Please don't bring logic and reason into an interwebs discussion

        Comment

        • #5
          9mmContagion
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 3242

          Nice work OP. Looks great
          9mmContagion Feedback

          Comment

          • #6
            S.A.
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 2111

            That looks nice. Fine job.

            Comment

            • #7
              Old Flash
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 1224

              Beautiful pistol OP. How's that grip safety feel to you?

              Comment

              • #8
                psango
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                CGN Contributor
                • Jul 2009
                • 1303

                Grip Saety

                Originally posted by Old Flash
                Beautiful pistol OP. How's that grip safety feel to you?
                Looks odd, feels comfortable and points naturally. Not certain of the make came with gun, that was purchased used.
                Always remember to pillage before you burn.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Old Flash
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 1224

                  Originally posted by psango
                  Looks odd, feels comfortable and points naturally. Not certain of the make came with gun, that was purchased used.
                  Definitely a retro piece, I had bought a beavertail similar to it from King's gunworks back in 1980's. Clark Custom also makes a similar grip safety.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    psango
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 1303

                    Thanks for the info

                    Originally posted by Old Flash
                    Definitely a retro piece, I had bought a beavertail similar to it from King's gunworks back in 1980's. Clark Custom also makes a similar grip safety.
                    Thanks your information has given me some leads on the source of the grip safety.
                    Always remember to pillage before you burn.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1