Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First time Handgun Owner

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • krazek
    Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 151

    First time Handgun Owner

    Hey guys, i tried searching the posts but couldnt find anything. I'm turning 21 on monday and decided that instead of doing all the other lovely things people my age like to do, i wanted to purchase a handgun. However, i'm only a rifle owner and i know the rules are different for purchasing a handgun, so i was wondering what the process was so i dont look stupid when i buy my handgun. Thanks in advance
    Numbers 6: 24-26
  • #2
    MidnightSon117
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 551

    You need to obtain an HSC (Handgun Safety Certificate) and establish proof of residency. Residency can be a phone bill (landline), utility bill, vehicle registration, and what else, I don't know. Credit card bills, cellular phone bills, or bank statements don't count, if I'm not mistaken. If you live with your parents, I think you can have some sworn affidavit that you reside in the household. Maybe other members can give more information.

    Comment

    • #3
      leelaw
      Junior Member
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Oct 2005
      • 10445

      Bring:

      Method of payment $
      Yourself
      Your right thumb
      A Handgun Safety Certificate (or take the test at the shop when you purchase the gun) $25
      Driver's License
      Residency verification (utility bill for a physical location - not cell phone - vehicle registration)
      More money for DROS $25

      Comment

      • #4
        leelaw
        Junior Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 10445

        Originally posted by MidnightSon117
        If you live with your parents, I think you can have some sworn affidavit that you reside in the household.
        Correct. Just anything that you and your parents sign that state that you live at such-and-such address. It does not need to be notarized.

        Comment

        • #5
          krazek
          Member
          • Feb 2006
          • 151

          Originally posted by leelaw
          Bring:

          Method of payment $
          Yourself
          Your right thumb
          A Handgun Safety Certificate (or take the test at the shop when you purchase the gun) $25
          Driver's License
          Residency verification (utility bill for a physical location - not cell phone - vehicle registration)
          More money for DROS $25
          Would I need to review anything before taking the HSC? I heard the test was pretty much common sense, but is there anything I would need to review ahead of time?
          Numbers 6: 24-26

          Comment

          • #6
            chunger
            Member
            • Mar 2004
            • 465

            Read the "HSC study guide" through right before the test, and you should be fine.



            It's in PDF format and all questions on the test should be answered in this document.

            Comment

            • #7
              ts
              Banned
              • Apr 2006
              • 1232

              Whats up with the proof of residency anyway? Why is that a hand gun requirment?

              Comment

              • #8
                azn_wrx
                Member
                • Aug 2006
                • 453

                If you live with your parents you can use a rental agreement. Places like office depot or staples sell them in their legal forms section. You do not need to state how much you pay in rent, but just that you have residence. Turners accepts this.
                Last edited by azn_wrx; 10-19-2006, 8:05 PM.

                Comment

                • #9
                  krim
                  Member
                  • Sep 2006
                  • 305

                  Originally posted by krazek
                  Would I need to review anything before taking the HSC? I heard the test was pretty much common sense, but is there anything I would need to review ahead of time?

                  just read it through once, it'll take 15 minutes. take the practice test and you should pass.
                  daisy sling shot, 8" plastic straw

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    FatKatMatt
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • 1009

                    The HSC is insanely easy for anyone that knows anything about handguns. Most of it is common sense but there is some technical stuff like 'how do you release the cylinder on a revolver' and 'what are the two most common types of handguns', but all in all very easy. My mom who doesn't know anything about guns (besides the stuff I force feed her ) could do it within 15 minutes.

                    EDIT: also, do you get your HSC instantaneously or is there some sort of wait like for a C & R?
                    http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...almonfai3l.jpg

                    Kimber Tactical Custom II
                    Browning Semi-Auto .22 Rifle
                    Benelli Supernova

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Blue
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 8071

                      I bought my first handgun the day after I turned 21. The gunshop was closed on my birthday I bought a Beretta 96, and the guy noticed I didn't wait a minute to buy a pistol after my birthday as I was filling out the 4473( and I was the first customer as they unlocked the doors). He gave me a birthday discount. They ate the tax and DROS. I paid for it anyways in the price of the gun I'm sure, but it was pretty cool if you ask me.
                      Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
                      Let my aim be true and my hand faster
                      than those who would seek to destroy me.
                      Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
                      Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
                      And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
                      sigpic
                      NRA Member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        leelaw
                        Junior Member
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 10445

                        Originally posted by tonyayo
                        Whats up with the proof of residency anyway? Why is that a hand gun requirment?
                        Because the guys up in Sacramento who make the laws know better than you do, so do it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Infused1
                          Junior Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • 9

                          Another Proof of residency

                          There is another way to prove where you live, outside of showing a bill, Your voter registration card. Not a lot of people know this, but its a perfectly valid way to prove you live where you are and I think its neat because it shows you vote. I think its a great statement too!

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            azn_wrx
                            Member
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 453

                            Originally posted by Infused1
                            There is another way to prove where you live, outside of showing a bill, Your voter registration card. Not a lot of people know this, but its a perfectly valid way to prove you live where you are and I think its neat because it shows you vote. I think its a great statement too!
                            I thought voter registration did not count. I swore turners told me it was not a valid proof of residency. Also CMP does not take voter cards I believe because the Federal Government does not recognize it. This is if i remember correctly. Some one please chime if it that is incorrect.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              pacificamark
                              Junior Member
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 65

                              Originally posted by FatKatMatt
                              The HSC is insanely easy for anyone that knows anything about handguns. Most of it is common sense but there is some technical stuff like 'how do you release the cylinder on a revolver' and 'what are the two most common types of handguns', but all in all very easy. My mom who doesn't know anything about guns (besides the stuff I force feed her ) could do it within 15 minutes.

                              EDIT: also, do you get your HSC instantaneously or is there some sort of wait like for a C & R?
                              My wife knew absolutely nothing about guns nor had used one before taking the HSC. She missed only one question (the 18 or 21 years old to buy question) that was it. Very simple. Just read the guide or watch the video if your local store has one.
                              "Why do they call him the bullet dodger?"
                              U.S. Navy 84-95

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1