Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

POA vs POI Question.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • anonymouscuban
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2017
    • 1440

    POA vs POI Question.

    OK guys. Say you're running a pistol with combat sights. Sight picture should look like #3. POA=POI.

    Instead, you use a 6 o'clock hold like #1.

    At 12 yards, where would you expect the POI to occur?

    Would it be roughly 2" below the round target?

    Approximate guys. I know ballistic of the bullet will play into this as well. Just looking for a ballpark.

  • #2
    Sheldon
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 2149

    The shots will land where the white dot is.

    Comment

    • #3
      anonymouscuban
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2017
      • 1440

      Originally posted by Sheldon
      The shots will land where the white dot is.
      Hahaha. How stupid am I? You can tell me. I won't cry.

      I am such a maroon!

      Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #4
        SAD338
        Banned
        • Mar 2018
        • 580

        Last I heard, they still use the 6 o'clock hold in the bullseye game. For 'practical' distances, I prefer POA/POI especially if you're using a fiber optic so you just 'drive the dot' much like you would with a red dot.

        Comment

        • #5
          tbc
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2011
          • 5955

          What pistol?


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • #6
            anonymouscuban
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2017
            • 1440

            Originally posted by tbc
            What pistol?


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            SP-01 running CGW rear comp blacked out sight and Dawson front FO sight.

            They're definitely POA=POI sights like in pic #3.

            Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #7
              jimster716
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2011
              • 839

              Originally posted by tbc
              What pistol?


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              LA County CCW Renewal Progress
              4/01/21: Mailed CCW app w/GC: Yellow.
              4/14/21: $30 App Fee check deposited
              5/25/21: Request for interview
              6/03/21: Interview completed and Livescan submitted w/CA and FBI completed
              6/14/21: Firearms Livescan: completed
              8/16/21: Request to complete firearms training
              8/22/21: Gun training completed/Certs submitted
              10/11/21: Call to pickup
              10/13/21: CCW permit picked up

              Comment

              • #8
                anonymouscuban
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2017
                • 1440

                Yup. Combat sights inherently have the POA and POI of pic #3. I think Target sights are #1, right?

                Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #9
                  tbc
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 5955

                  Last edited by tbc; 10-30-2018, 6:28 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rodralig
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Apr 2016
                    • 4262

                    #3 at what range? I would assume 25-yards because most pistols are sighted from the factory at that range...

                    If so, should the shot be approximately on target at 12-yards when using #1?

                    AFAIK, Target is #1, Bullseye is #2 and Combat is #3.
                    Last edited by rodralig; 10-30-2018, 8:29 PM.

                    WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      bombadillo
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 14810

                      I said all of my personal pistols up for a 600 hold because I like consistency and it's what I'm the most comfortable with.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        anonymouscuban
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2017
                        • 1440

                        Originally posted by bombadillo
                        I said all of my personal pistols up for a 600 hold because I like consistency and it's what I'm the most comfortable with.
                        Consistency is the key point there.

                        And just to confirm my understanding of all this, the sight picture is a function of the type of sights you have on the firearm and not the firearm itself. There seems to be a lot of confusion on this based on some of the interweb conversations I read.

                        Basically, sights are set to one of the 3 sight pictures the desired point of impact at a constant distance. It's not interchangeable. At least at a constant distance. Not talking about adjusting your POA to account for bullet drop at distance.

                        Say you have 3 copies of the same firearm. Only difference between the 3 are the type of sights each have. One is 6 o'clock, the 2nd is target hold and the 3rd is combat hold. Just like in the pic in my OP.

                        Even though the sight picture is different in each, the point of impact will be the same. I think many understand this a just personal preference of what hold they use. Not so. At least if I get this correctly. So if you take the gun with the combat sight setup (#3) and you aim with a 6 o'clock hold, you will miss the bullseye. The point of impact will be below it.

                        Again, this is how I understand this all and I could be wrong. It's important to know though.

                        Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by anonymouscuban; 10-31-2018, 9:04 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          divingin
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2015
                          • 2522

                          Originally posted by SAD338
                          Last I heard, they still use the 6 o'clock hold in the bullseye game. For 'practical' distances, I prefer POA/POI especially if you're using a fiber optic so you just 'drive the dot' much like you would with a red dot.
                          Actually, a lot of bullseye shooters have gone to "area aim" (a fancy term for a sub-6 o'clock hold.) The sights are aligned in an area below the bottom edge of the bull. The black sights on the all-white (or buff) background gives better contrast with less tendency to lose the definition by drifting into a black-on-black sight picture. Since sight alignment is much more critical than sight to bull placement, the tradeoff works out in the long run.

                          FWIW, for the OP's original question, every one of those would put shots on or near (within a quarter of bull diameter) the black no matter which was interchanged.

                          Pretty simple: Any of the three guns will put a shot where it is sighted for. Move the sights relative to the target and the shot will move by the corresponding amount.

                          A gun sighted for 1, and aimed for 3, will be above the black by the amount covered from dot to the top of the sight (appears to be about a quarter of the bull diameter. Conversely, a gun sighted for 3 and shot as the first pic will deliver a shot low by the same amount. A gun sighted for 1 and shot as 2 will put the bullet on the top edge of the black.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            anonymouscuban
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2017
                            • 1440

                            Originally posted by divingin
                            Actually, a lot of bullseye shooters have gone to "area aim" (a fancy term for a sub-6 o'clock hold.) The sights are aligned in an area below the bottom edge of the bull. The black sights on the all-white (or buff) background gives better contrast with less tendency to lose the definition by drifting into a black-on-black sight picture. Since sight alignment is much more critical than sight to bull placement, the tradeoff works out in the long run.

                            FWIW, for the OP's original question, every one of those would put shots on or near (within a quarter of bull diameter) the black no matter which was interchanged.

                            Pretty simple: Any of the three guns will put a shot where it is sighted for. Move the sights relative to the target and the shot will move by the corresponding amount.

                            A gun sighted for 1, and aimed for 3, will be above the black by the amount covered from dot to the top of the sight (appears to be about a quarter of the bull diameter. Conversely, a gun sighted for 3 and shot as the first pic will deliver a shot low by the same amount. A gun sighted for 1 and shot as 2 will put the bullet on the top edge of the black.
                            Thanks for adding to the conversation. Yeah, once I made the OP, I quickly realized how obvious the answer was to my query. LOL Sometimes we over think things even though the answer is quite literally, in this case, in front of our eyes.

                            That said, I think a lot can be gleaned from the comments added. Especially for those just starting out.

                            Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SAD338
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2018
                              • 580

                              Interesting points, especially about bullseye as I never shot that discipline.
                              I also think that this whole 6 o'clock vs 12 o'clock will become even less relevant once red dots become more commonplace.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1