Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

POI/POA calculation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dummykid
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2016
    • 1296

    POI/POA calculation?

    I tested my handgun with 6" sight radius on weekend at 15 yard, and my POI was 1.5 inch higher than POA, so I was wondering if there was a certain formula to calculation my POI/POA at 7 yard and 25 yard? (Ammo is Speer 9mm TMJ 115gr. muzzle velocity 1200 fps and energy 368 ft-lbs. )
    Last edited by dummykid; 10-28-2018, 6:28 PM.
  • #2
    redcliff
    Calguns Addict
    • Feb 2008
    • 5676

    You'll need to input your sight radius and convert yards to inches. Sight adjustment calculator: http://dillonprecision.net/sight-correction-calculator/
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    "What we get away with isn't usually the same as what's good for us"
    "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911"

    "While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
    although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

    Comment

    • #3
      bmk20398
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2017
      • 1047

      for approximation...
      Your gun is Zeroed at X yards,
      Your gun's muzzle center to Sight Top = 0.65inch
      at 10 yard POI is 1.5 inch higher than POA

      0.65 : X = 1.5 : (10 - X)
      (1.5+0.65) * X = 10 * 0.65
      X = 3.0 Yard.

      Now go to some ballistic calculator and enter values.

      Do you want "6 o'clock " (center - 3 inch at 25) sighting?
      Last edited by bmk20398; 10-28-2018, 6:30 PM.

      Comment

      • #4
        dummykid
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2016
        • 1296

        Originally posted by bmk20398
        for approximation...
        Your gun is Zeroed at X yards,
        Your gun's muzzle center to Sight Top = 0.65inch
        at 10 yard POI is 1.5 inch higher than POA
        0.65 : X = 1.5 : (10 - X)
        (1.5+0.65) * X = 10 * 0.65
        X = 3.0 Yard.

        Now go to some ballistic calculator and enter values.

        Do you want "6 o'clock " (center - 3 inch at 25) sighting?
        Thanks for the info. I feel like my sight is 6 o'clock hold at 15 yard if I shoot a 3" target.

        Comment

        • #5
          Jeepergeo
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 3507

          Make sure your sight picture is consistent and appropriate for the sights on your firearm...that is a must for the calculators to give good estimates. Better: go out and shoot at each distance.
          Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
          Life Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association

          Comment

          • #6
            dummykid
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2016
            • 1296

            Originally posted by Jeepergeo
            Make sure your sight picture is consistent and appropriate for the sights on your firearm...that is a must for the calculators to give good estimates. Better: go out and shoot at each distance.
            Thanks for the info, and I guess I need to change my sight picture to 6 o'clock hold because I just get a confirmation email from STI saying HOST sight is only for back up purpose, so the spec is 2" @ 15 yard. if I do 6 oclock hold, I could hit bullseye at 15 yard.

            Comment

            • #7
              soulbyte
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2013
              • 848

              Check Dawson Precision. I think they have a front sight calculator on their website.

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1